1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Notebook: Raiders' Passing Game Worries Miami Dolphins Coach Sparano

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by njfinfan, Nov 15, 2008.

1. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Dolphins notebook: Raiders' passing game worries Miami Dolphins coach Sparano - Football - MiamiHerald.com

Here is one thing that would make Oakland owner Al Davis happy about his 2-7 team: The Raiders' vertical game worries Dolphins coach Tony Sparano.

Davis never really lost his American Football League heart and affection for AFL games featuring one-on-one battles over long passes, epitomized back then by Raiders quarterback Daryle Lamonica, San Diego Hall of Fame wide receiver Lance Alworth (whom Davis recruited to the AFL as a Chargers assistant) and Raiders Hall of Fame cornerback Willie Brown.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Good read. Their vertical pass game doesn't really worry me but it does get me thinking (I don't know if you consider those two the same haha). I completely forgot about Zach Miller, Russell's safety blanket down the middle of the field. He had a big catch in the SD game a few weeks back, a 63 yard TD. I like him a lot. He's not very fast, actually slower than Roth, but he knows how to get open and catches it well. The article also stated that Kwame Harris and Mario Henderson would split time at LT. Last time I saw these two guys play, they looked just terrible. Neither are good players imo. We should win this game with defense, our run game and WC teams are 0-11 I believe this year when traveling across the country.

njfinfan likes this.
  3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The last team to test us vertically beat the heck out of us...cough...Arizona...cough...

However, even as skeptical as I am about our secondary, they've improved some since then...Having Goodman and Allen healthy, along with a healthy Bell gives me some hope that if Joey and co. disappear again, those guys can come thru....The problem is, with that vertical game current Raiders play, they haven't been too successful, but if they hit on one or two...at the right time of the game, it could turn the momentum against us...given that we seem to be in the play each team close to the vest mode recently...

njfinfan likes this.
  4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    especially bad teams. but i agree 100% about our secondary

njfinfan likes this.
  5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Not sure I am that worried. The Oakland Run game is gonna be non-existent IMO, so Russell will be seeing many different looks, and blitzes on pretty much every play. Rush Russell and you will make him look very very mediocre....

I actually look for Roth/and or either Rookie DE to get at least one sack. I look for the team as a whole to get not less than 4. :up:

njfinfan likes this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I hope he gets blindsided at least once :praying:

Yeah.. the vertical. There's no doubt Russell can put some zip and length on his throws, that's for sure.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

No doubt about his arm strength, but he really gets rattled pretty easy, in fact I would give up a long shot just to get a good shot in on him. That has been the MO so far, and nothing he has shown changes that.
    Also, his offensive threats have been greatly reduced the last couple of weeks.

anlgp likes this.
  8. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yeah he's basically a rookie this year because he held out so long last year so he's still easy to rattle. It's early to label him a bust like so many ppl have - not necessarily you.

Ireland has even said that three/four years is a good indication of the draft that one has had. I think he was talking overall, though.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah!..and he's already going to be wearing a knee brace.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. aesop

aesop Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    NYC
    Wait, why is he worried? Russell can throw the ball far, sure, but that's pretty much all he can do.

11. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

I am far from considering him a bust. Part of the issue is that he was the #1 taken overall, which puts an unfair burden on him.
    I still think he will with time, coaching and surrounding talent be a good QB, I just like the make-up of our team against him...

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Definitely. Problem is that he doesn't have a great touch on the ball (IMO) and holds on to it way too long at times. That could kill him on Sunday.

Didn't know he was wearing a brace. That could limit his mobility on roll-outs, etc.

I agree Kenny. I think he has the potential to be a good QB but he has a lot of work to do. He doesn't always square his shoulders when throwing down field which results in interceptions (watch him against JAX last year). He will make bad decisions and he doesn't have great touch as I mentioned earlier so there's a lot to be worked on.