1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins need to be more bolder with Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Oct 25, 2010.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports...lphins-need-bolder-approach-to-qb-996022.html

Boik14 and smahtaz like this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    More.....

bolder.....

[​IMG]

SICK, Boik14, CaribPhin and 3 others like this.
  3. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    They just need to keep developing him. At some point he will figure it out or not.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I think this in particular is where we see Parcells' influence.
    This is how Parcells the coach was with young QBs. Very reluctant to remove the handcuffs and let it fly.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

SICK, HULKFish and dolfan7171 like this.
  6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The offense has to play within its ability and right now, IMO, we don't have the capability at WR, TE, or RB to allow us to really be "bold" (outside of Marshall)..... and if Brandon is doubled then it's difficult to be as bold with him as we'd like.

Hartline needs to become our #4 and we imperatively need to find a true #2 who can stretch the field so that everything can properly fall into place...... b/c Brian doesn't seem to scare anyone.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  7. smahtaz

Add Bess to your list. The kid's a big time producer.

8. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    I thought this thread was going to have something to do with Anquan Boldin

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

And he bears gifts for the other team.

10. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Bess is a weapon, no doubt there.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Totally agree..... but I personally don't put him into the mix as far as players you can really be "bold" with. He's an elite possession receiver but not the guy you really want stretching the field with often.

Pariah and dolfan7171 like this.
  12. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    :lol: I mean :pity:

CaribPhin likes this.
  13. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree that we another explosive receiver but if Hartline isn't it then who is? Perhaps we should draft a big play receiver. What do ya'll think about that?

14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Not true. Bledsoe's first couple year he was consistently at 600 passing attempts and over. The assumption about parcells is that he is a run first guy who will not let it fly but he showed when he had a pure passer; and Bledsoe was the best pocket passer he coached, he would let it rip.

The problem right now is not Henne, its Henning. I've defended Henning much of the way but the Vikings and Jets games irked me before yesterday and now after yesterday I'm at the end with him. He's got to go. He has become unoriginal, unimaginative and unbearable at best. He was fine to bring Henne along with and good for Pennington with his conservative nature but the leash has to come off Henne cause this kid is throwing up ratings in the mid 80s and low 90's most weeks. This week he was 94 but they never once challenged Pittsburgh vertically.

15. Pariah

Pariah Revolutionary

Nov 27, 2007
    Little Rhody
    Good point, but guys like Bess make it easier to be bold with the other players. He takes pressure off the weapons.

I am really beginning to believe the key ingredient this team is missing is Speed in the backfield.

At the start of the season I thought we could do damage with Power and Possession - but it just isn't working well. I would love to see a Bush type back who can play in the Slot, work a screen, and just throw defenses off, and perhaps even help us in the return game.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Dude, youre great and all but you one retentive fella. The grammar police has arrived and thy name is Stitches :lol:

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    who did we have to challenge pittsburgh vertically? all of our receivers run 4.5s.

18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also with regards to what adam just said Boik, it's hard to tell by watching the games on TV whether or not the defenses are taking away the deep ball and forcing us to move the ball underneath.

Then again, I always feel with a receiver like Marshall, you should be throwing a bomb or two every game and see if he can come down with the ball. I'd be willing to bet he would more often than not.

HULKFish and adamprez2003 like this.
  19. smahtaz

20. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    That's my #1 wish at this moment: to trade up for AJ Green.

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    You dont need a speedster per se when you have height like Marshall who will go and get it. The jump ball is one of the most effective plays for tall receivers right now. Guys like Moss, Owens and C.Johnson have basically made a career of it in many ways

Also Hartline has on occasion turned in a big play 20+ yards downfield. never tried it once.

The Steelers play a 3-4 zone blitz scheme and often deploy cover three but at times used cover two and cover zero in this game. Henne recognized the coverages fairly consistently throughout because he checked down regularly and did not come close to having a ball picked really. The problem was the playcalling all the way. They never ran a man past 25-30 yards with intention of that player as the primary target on the play from what i saw.

22. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i would do cartwheels if that happened :lol: tell you the truth though i wouldnt mind a fast RB with our first and someone like Bosie State's Titus Young with our 2nd. Now that we've built the defense I wannted I can give you your receivers. :tongue2: and let us not forget a freaking tight end already

ToddsPhins likes this.
  23. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    We have no second thanks to the Marshall trade. We need to move down from wherever we are in round 1, grab an extra mid round pick to make up for this. There are perimeter players at WR and CB all over this draft. We need to look TE early. We need a seem-busting TE. Fasano is too caught on being a blocker first or trying to run over people when he does catch the ball.

And I doubt you will ever see a Parcells/Ireland led team go after an RB in the first. Never. Going. To. Happen. Not from a guy who found or helped develop gems like Joe Morris, Curtis Martin, and Marion Barber in round three or later. The only time he ever used a first on a RB was to acquire Curtis Martin from New England and bring him to NYJ. :wink2:

adamprez2003 likes this.
  24. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i like the jump ball to marshall once or twice a game. dont want to do it too much because the odds are its a wasted play more likely than a completion but it should be thrown every game just to test them. and marshall will come down with a few of them. the problem i see is the red zone though. i dont really see us having a problem moving the ball the way we're playing now. its only when we get into the red zone that we shut down and i dont believe its henning. people seem to forget the passes to marshall that henne missed in the end zone. henne isnt a pin point passer. he's got decent accuracy but not pinpoint. i really think we need john jerry back to get the run game going in the red zone especially so teams cant flood the passing lanes and we need to spend the next three weeks in practice overemphasising red zone passing with Henne. We have to get him comfortable throwing into tight spots and a little more accurate

Boik14 likes this.
  25. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    WR, RB and TE WOULD BE NICE. Maybe the number one rated center too if he can run block and pass block

Boik14 likes this.
  26. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Gotta be know for something. :lol:

Boik14 likes this.
  27. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    known :tongue2:

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Henning is part of the problem and the lack of a really good receiving TE is another problem. The problem is this offense does a lot of max-protect stuff which I dont mind but you need to use the TE in the red-zone and too often Fasano is kept in to block.

I agree we need Jerry back as he was probably our third best lineman after Long and Carey this season. But Jerry has actually been better run blocker by far and has been our worst pass blocker by a longshot according to Pro Football Focus.

Agreed but instead of C I would look at Logan Mankins in free agency and maybe reducing Carey's cost or cutting/trading him if need be. Berger has been tolerable at C but the thought of Long-Mankins-Berger-Jerry-Carey or even Long-Mankins-Berger-Incognito Jerry is just daunting. Get a running back who has some burst and vision behind that and you could be running for days especially on the left side.

29. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i just dont see it. henning dialed up a nice back shoulder pass to marshall in the end zone that henne missed. i believe there was another pass to marshall in the back of the end zone that peyton manning or tom brady might make but not henne. i just honestly dont know what else henning can call to improve the results with what we have. i think we have to improve the play on the field, the execution. i think thats the culprit not the plays called. jerry might help. if jerrry helps our run game, then i think you'll see our red zone offense take off because defenses wont be able to key on the pass

30. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    nice. one more piece is on the oline would be so nice

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I can't agree with adding a TE to the offense if he's expensive. Bess is best in the slot and Fasano is solid. Add in the RB and two WRs and that's a full formation. I'd rather spend on a larger down the field threat like what Vincent Jackson is a large, fast guy that can compliment the possession receivers or even a six foot tall outright speedster.

Jacoby Jones? Basically a Mike Wallace clone is what we want to find. Then we'll see the team take off. As for the draft I have a feeling we'll take a tackle and move Carey to LG to hammer to the left every damn play.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  32. Shamboubou

Shamboubou Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think Henne needs to be "bolder" with Henne. I think our regiem there has talked so much to him about ball control and not turning the ball over that he is scared to death to try and fit a ball in to a reciever. Those are the kind of passes that turn into TD's, most of the time if you have an open reciever its not going to turn into a TD unless its blown coverage deep.

They have to give Henne the chance and free reign to get the ball down the field and not be scared to maybe throw a pick every now and then. He's throwing them now with under routes so why not let the guy use his best asset his arm strength? You can turn the ball over a little more and not worry as much when those same passes are getting you more points.

33. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hahahahahahaha

34. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Damn whats with all the bashing on Henne? I thought he played a good game against the #1 Defense in the league.

ToddsPhins, Boik14 and SICK like this.
  35. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    he did, its the way the offense is ran/called that has people scratching their heads

ToddsPhins and Boik14 like this.
  36. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Since we don't seem to emphasize the TE much in the passing game, I personally feel a major upgrade at #2 WR would impact more.

37. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'd prefer Carl Nicks personally...... but Mankins would do. :tongue2:

38. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I really think if we had gotten Mike Martz this off-season we'd see bigger numbers from the offense. The Bears suck because of their O-Line, but our pass protection is definitely solid enough for Martz' system.

If your QB has a 94 rating, and you only put up 22 points, with 15 of those being FG's, that screams that you were too conservative. Even if you throw a pick on one of those drives, but score a TD on one of the drives that ended in a FG, you've come out ahead on points. Gotta take chances against elite teams.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    My sentiments exactly. A seam busting TE would be awesome (if we currently had a #2 who scares defenses deep). Sure Hartline can make a move to get deep from time to time, but he's not a true vertical threat. An explosive TE still wouldn't solve our deep threat b/c teams don't seem to fear Hartline in 1 on 1s.

I'm have the same feeling from time to time about us drafting a RT and moving Carey inside. My darkhorse pick is the monster, Marcus Cannon, from TCU.

IMO, in this pass-happy era of football, if a team has an opportunity to grab an elite WR, they should jump all over it, even if it means trading some picks to do so. Look at what Nicks did to Dallas last night...... and then what Dez did to help Dallas get back in the game. I also don't think we have the luxury of waiting for one to fall to us b/c IMO our offense won't take the next step forward and become a true scoring threat until #2 is upgraded.

40. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    You do realize that throwing an INT means the other team is more likely to score, right?

The only thing Mike Martz would have done would make us think Chad Henne is a bad QB.