1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Need Receivers....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 24, 2014.

1. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    If we are talking mid round pick, then I'm all for that. I think we'll have to end up doing that anyway if Hartline/BGib get the boot. But, if it's a 3/4th round pick that kind of measures up there with where we would be as far as WRs are concerned if we didn't pick one up in FA. I'm not of the mind that we don't need a WR. I do think that there are positions we can pick up at 1-3 that can increase production for what we currently have across the board. If Ryan gets more time instead of pressure up the middle or from Port Arthur Thomas....then I think everyone will be a better at the skill positions. But....I'm not for drafting a WR that's going to sit behind what we already have or for a 1st round draft pick which overlooks the needs we already have. A bruiser at running back that can constantly get positive yardage would be more important to me than a WR unless somehow Josh Gordon falls into your lap.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If you want a tough runningback ill get you one as an UDFA. If you want a starting LB/Safety ill get you one rounds 2-4.

I value the WR position very much. Aside from the QB I'd actually value it the highest on offense. You can create a damn good makeshift line, bad backs can look good with holes to run through and so on. However to me WR is the one position you can't fake. You either have impact players or you don't, and we don't.

People bring up the Patriots but the fact is I'd take Lafell or Edelman in a heartbeat over Hartline. GB has Nelson. Denver has a waiting list at WR and so forth.

I guess its not an issue of wanting or not wanting, its a matter of putting importance on the position or not.

If we picked up a large highly athletic TE I'd be fine with that too but the odds of drafting a Gates, Gronk, so forth are extremely low.

3. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    wallace

Dude IF tannehill had hit Wallace half the times he was open Wallace would have had 8 more TD's EASY

Sceeto likes this.
  4. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Not to be all Stitches, but it was Matthews who's fumble Miller recovered in a heads up play. ;-)

Wonder if we could trade them Hartline, Wallace, Gibson, Matthews, Sims, and Clay straight up for the 6-3, 230Lb, All World Wide Receiver, Demaryius Thomas.

Sounds fair. :shifty:

Hartline had an opportunity for a big play yesterday and went out of bounds with his momentum. Wallace was owned by Talib and cannot handle physical DB play. His TD was after Talib left the game. Matthews is inconsistent, but deserves some of Hartline's snaps. Sims isn't as athletic as you want at TE. Clay can't stay healthy or consistent... yeah, upgrades at receiver and TE are needed.

5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    The bigger needs are on the D side if you ask me.
    We have no depth except for on the D-line and they even seem to be invisible at the biggest moments of the game.
    LB than CB need a lot more talent and depth first.

Did I mention Coyle does a great job leaving his CB's on an island to get exposed by good QB's? Thought I'd throw that out there...

6. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    IF Wallace could run better routes, clear out DBs, create separation, contest balls, catch with his hands, and track a ball in the air, he'd have more TD's as well... goes both ways.

Disgustipate likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Jamar taylors talent is worth not overreacting in the draft...he should be good to go soon and by next summer for camp..lets see how he finishes the year.

if i have a healthy grimes and Taylor I wouldn't go corner early in the draft.

8. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What you're describing here involves Ryan Tannehill being the most accurate deep ball QB in the league(by a wide margin, if we're talking about shots further down the field) and Mike Wallace being on pace to challenge the single-season receiving touchdown record "easy".

resnor likes this.
  9. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    The TD was against Talib, and Tanny threw a beauty of a pass.

Not sure why everyone wants a whole bunch of WR's when it's already been shown (this season) that Ryan is hitting all the WR's in Lazor's system.
    There are still bigger needs elsewhere. I can see them getting rid of WR's for $$ reasons, not because of production.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Speaking of Mike Wallace touchdowns, you're also pretty likely to see that one bright spot to his career in Miami fade with Jarvis Landry usurping the role.

11. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

Yeah, Talib was in and out with the hamstring issue. Thought it was #26 on the TD instead. Replay shows otherwise. http://gfycat.com/AntiqueGrotesqueArizonaalligatorlizard

Not a whole bunch. Just a guy or two who can win physical matchups and contested balls without falling down or OOB. We're #1 in RZ trips, but #25 in TD scoring from inside the RZ. Tannehill is hitting very well inside 10-15 yards of the LOS, but the defenses are squeezing us and we have no one who can go down the field and trust to go up and come down with a ball at receiver or TE. It's what is missing from the offense. Reasons vary.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would like a new receiver.

Lets look at one play that everyone is complaining about. The play that Jamar Taylor bit on a shorter pass, and was burned.

No one is mentioning the fact that Sanders made an amazing catch on that play.

Miami has no one on the team that could make that play. Mathews could make that catch, however couldn't run that route convincingly enough to even get Jamar to bite. Wallace couldn't go up and make that catch. Hartline couldn't. Gibson and Landry are too slow to even be in the position to make that catch.

I would like a receiver like that. Landry is good at making short plays. Miami doesn't have a receiver who is great at making medium plays.

cuchulainn likes this.
  13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'd like to see a stat that shows accuracy by a QB on deep balls that have a few requirements

1) The WR is behind the defensive back and running away or keeping position.
    2) The QB has time to set and throw.

Right now deep ball passing % in my opinion is muddied up by hail mary type plays, throwing balls that would never be caught (into double coverage for example), so on. Until I know how accurate a QB is throwing deep with time and a window to throw the ball into...the stat doesnt say much in either direction.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    On any team that Hartline is your WORST receiver, your team is in pretty darn good shape. Sure, it would be nice to have a six-six, 240 pound WR that could run a 4.3 forty and jump six feet into the air, but it would also be nice if pigs could fly or is Skittles fell from the clouds like in the commercials. If someone complains about our receiving corp, they're simply looking for things to complain about.

15. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I've been saying we need to replace Hartline for three years now, so that doesn't include me. I agree he isn't the worst receiver, however there are a LARGE number of guys I'd definitely take over him including the #2 receivers of many other teams. That isn't good enough in my opinion.

16. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That's because Landry isn't afraid to go up over the middle and get slaughtered to pull down the TD catch. Wallace would simply stare at the QB and say, "Not this guy, no sir. You'd better throw it to someone else."

17. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Hartline has some limitations and he's not the best fit for this offense, but he's always been consistent save for a few rough games earlier this year. When it's 3rd and long in the 4th quarter and Tannehill is scrambling like mad, it's always Hartline that finds a way to get open and make the circus catch. That's why he'll always be on the field, regardless of what team he plays for.

He's a lot like Landry...not super talented but a crisp route runner that's not afraid to take a hit. Landry just happens to be quicker with much better open field moves, which is why Hartline is suddenly dispensable. He may not be here in 2015 BUT he will be starting somewhere...he's a great asset.

18. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    CK told me about a sleeper RZ TE......THE " BELLDOZER " Blake Bell from Oklahoma...remember him? He was a QB Now he is a 6'6" 259lb TE and he does look like a real good TE in thr RZ.. maybe get him 6th or possibly 7th round.

19. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Of course he is also very good at short yardage running.

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have supported Hartline, but at his salary it doesn't make sense to keep him going forward relative to his production. The people talking about needing a WR are talking about next year and on. Hartline isn't the worst WR on those teams. He's not even likely to be on the team.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    As for what round, it depends on what's available. If there's a great player you take him at any of the core positions in the first. I don't like to reach for a need. I want a bruising RB, a couple of LBs and a CB, but those are generally positions that can be drafted later. If there's a game changer at our slot then I take him, but great players at those positions tend to slip regularly. WRs with great measurables (size/speed combos) tend require premium picks. They slip a bit on draft day, but usually just to the late 1st (where I hope we're picking) or early-mid 2nd. I'd also like some OL, but don't expect we'll take one of those in the first either. FA will also be a factor for the Gs, RBs and I believe its a great FA year for CBs.