1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Likely to cut ties with 3 Starters

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jan 3, 2018.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Unlucky 13 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  2. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    James is a surprise. There have been some bad patches with him but before injury he was one of our best OL players, if not the best performing. The first rule in getting out of a hole it to stop digging, and whilst the article suggests Jesse Davis might be a replacement, we still have other positional needs and also lack OL depth. Keeping James would seem to be a sensible move, if not wise. Then again, maybe the plan, as the article suggests, is to rescind the offer in order to renegotiate. Let's hope the deal gets done for one of our 1st round draft picks.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    No surprise about Timmons and Thomas. James is a puzzling one because he's actually decent. Oh well, I hope they know what they're doing.

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    James is likely about cost vs. the value presented by health. He's missed half the whole season in 2 of his 4 years, that's a lot to commit to a guy who can't stay on the field.

I suspect we will still try to bring him back, but at a reduced figure.

5. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I have a feeling that we hang onto Timmons- I felt he was better overall than Kiko.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good start to acknowledge your mistakes. Few more need to happen as well.

7. Rdrunn004

Rdrunn004 Active Member

Jan 20, 2010
    Miami
    Does anyone know the salary cap implications for each?

I am surprised, like most, about James and pretty much expected the other two to get cut this offseason.

8. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    No, Timmons need to go. He was better than kiko his first couple of games, but then he started to wear down and was Terrible at the end. He is way past his prime and can no longer perform for a whole season. Plus his awol episode at the beginning of the season means we don't owe him any guaranteed money for next season, we can cut him and save some millions against the cap. He is as good as gone.

Thomas also needs to go, he is washed up as well and will save us a lot of cap space.

James on the other hand I don't agree with. He was the 15th best tackle in the league according to pff before his injury. He doesn't have any major injury that would prevent him from being top 20 again next year.

Although he will have a high cap number of 9.5 million I think its worth it for a top 15 tackle. You are not going to find another top 15 tackle in free agency for less than that.

Puka-head likes this.
  9. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Makes perfect Dolphins sense, take your weakest position group that already needs to be addressed and make it weaker. Obvioiusly talking about James and the oline. We already need two guards and a new center. Make no mistake about it, Pouncey needs to go. We should be trying to trade him for whatever we can get. Meanwhile James has actually played fairly well.

This would be a typical, stupid Dolphins move. So of course its going to happen.

10. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    If we can get rid of James and use that 9 million to sign an upgrade at either RG or RT and then let Jesse start, it's an overall upgrade for the same money. Of course, they would have to identify the upgrade FA Olineman, which I don't have a lot of faith in

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Moves this early have more to do with creating negotiating room than pure player talent evaluation. james may be back for a 2-3 yr deal at a more team friendly rate. If not then they are looking to upgrade, no foul either way.