Dolphins hire Colts QB coach Clyde Christenson as OC
76 replies
Per Adam Schefter on Twitter:
After 14 seasons with Indianapolis, Clyde Christensen is leaving to become the Miami Dolphins' offensive coordinator, per a Colts source.
Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
https://twitter.com/FinsInsider/status/688531067511394304
good hire
Also spent time as Tight Ends Coach, Quarterbacks Coach, and Offensive Coordinator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
I imagine we'll be running Gase's stuff, and that Gase will call plays. Christensen will probably be a super position coach type of guy, probably involved with some gameplanning too.
They're doing it to me again... Getting me excited...
:tantrum:
This pleases me. Christenson should be a nice extension of Gase and is far and away better than Taylor. About time they give Tannehill some proper coaches
"PerfectTeam wrote:
This pleases me. Christenson should be a nice extension of Gase and is far and away better than Taylor. About time they give Tannehill some proper coaches
Folks should be excited because this is the first time Ryan's had a veteran position coach. He's been stuck with Zac Taylor since college.
"VanDolPhan wrote:
Folks should be excited because this is the first time Ryan's had a veteran position coach. He's been stuck with Zac Taylor since college.
But Clyde is going to be the OC, not QB coach. Has the QB coach even been hired yet, by the way?
"Brasfin wrote:
But Clyde is going to be the OC, not QB coach. Has the QB coach even been hired yet, by the way?
Adam Gase?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau
Ryan's about to get double teamed in training and held accountable now. This will be good for his career and progress.
"Colmax wrote:
Adam Gase?
True, it's possible he won't even hire one. Gase and Christensen might actually be the "QB coaches".
Christensen is more like an aOC, so I don't think he'll have much impact, but once Gase said that he would be calling the plays from his own offense, this was going to be the case.

I agree with what a lot of others have said here. I don't think he will be an OC in the traditional sense because Gase will be calling plays and most likely game planning. I think we should think of him as the position coach manager which is good because he is an experienced position coach.
"Finster wrote:
Christensen is more like an aOC, so I don't think he'll have much impact, but once Gase said that he would be calling the plays from his own offense, this was going to be the case.
Yeah not much impact. Only the guy the Colts used to work directly with Luck for his entire short career and who Pagano called (not a direct quote) the best QB coach he's ever been around.
People need to ask themselves why these ultra intelligent coaches with options are coming here to coach a bum like Tannehill?
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
I really like the moves that have been made thus far. Hopefully we can get Tannehill some protection and a defense that cab stop somebody.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
Yeah not much impact. Only the guy the Colts used to work directly with Luck for his entire short career and who Pagano called (not a direct quote) the best QB coach he's ever been around.
People need to ask themselves why these young and ultra intelligent coaches with options are coming here to coach a bum like Tannehill?
Not sure that Clyde counts as young. Isn't he pushing 60?
"Samphin wrote:
Not sure that Clyde counts as young. Isn't he pushing 60?
Fixed...
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Limbo wrote:
I imagine we'll be running Gase's stuff, and that Gase will call plays. Christensen will probably be a super position coach type of guy, probably involved with some gameplanning too.
He'll be involved in game planning, and with Gase calling plays on the sidelines, someone needs to be his eyes up in booth. That could likely be Clyde. This is one reason I'd expect a QB coach to be hired too. Someone to interact with Ryan on the sidelines during the game. Gase's primary focus will be on the field. When we interviewed Clyde, we also interviewed Frank Reich. He'd be a good choice as QB coach, IMO. I sure hated him when he was the Bills backup QB though. :) Seems like he played well against us a few times in relief of Kelly.
“... I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can.”
― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
"Dorfdad wrote:
Ryan's about to get double teamed in training and held accountable now. This will be good for his career and progress.
Of course it might also prove whether or not he should be the QB of the Dolphins for the long term. 2016 is a make or break year for Tannehill and the year where the excuses end.
"jw3102 wrote:
Of course it might also prove whether or not he should be the QB of the Dolphins for the long term. 2016 is a make or break year for Tannehill and the year where the excuses end.
The "reasons" will end if the problems are addressed.
"jw3102 wrote:
Of course it might also prove whether or not he should be the QB of the Dolphins for the long term. 2016 is a make or break year for Tannehill and the year where the excuses end.
I don't know about that. If he plays like Brees or Rivers did this year yet we win about 5 games people will use that as empirical proof that Tannehill needs to go.
"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
I don't know about that. If he plays like Brees or Rivers did this year yet we win about 5 games people will use that as empirical proof that Tannehill needs to go.
If he plays like Brees no. Brees put up franchise QB stats except in the W/L column. He had a 7.8 Y/A, 32:11 TD/INT ratio and a 101 rating. Put up those kinds of numbers and W/L doesn't matter, the QB isn't the problem.
"Mcduffie81 wrote:
Yeah not much impact. Only the guy the Colts used to work directly with Luck for his entire short career and who Pagano called (not a direct quote) the best QB coach he's ever been around.
People need to ask themselves why these ultra intelligent coaches with options are coming here to coach a bum like Tannehill?
Is Andrew Luck really a feather in his cap? I don't think he's developed all that much.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
“Come on, shake your body baby, do that conga!”
"Brasfin wrote:
But Clyde is going to be the OC, not QB coach. Has the QB coach even been hired yet, by the way?
With Gase calling plays and Clyde's experience as a QB coach I don't think this is really an issue. Ryan now has two guys with a great track record developing Qbs. Good news for a rookie if we draft one or sign one too.
