1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins have a private workout for mike mickens

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    This guy could be a steal in the draft since he had an injury. He might solve our need at CB without using a 1st day pick. I'm willing to use a 2nd day pick for him. i wonder where he's projected to go in the draft.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

cnc66 likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'd be surprised if they took him. He's a no-show in run support and isn't as good as his teammate, DeAngelo Smith, in my opinion despite being hyped up.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  3. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i don't know much about college so i'll have to take your word for it.

4. njfinfan

njfinfan The First Lady

Nov 23, 2007
    Newark, NJ
    Do please take his word for it - Alen know his stuff! :up:

PMZQ and alen1 like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well Alen, they could have noticed Mickens in watching film on D Smith.

As the Cb who is charged with covering the slot Wr, he makes some sense?

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thank you. :)

Mickens isn't a bad player, he just doesn't fit what we're looking for in my opinion. He's got good hands and can make plays in pass defense but he's afraid of contact. He will watch many run plays instead of taking part in them while his teammate, DeAngelo Smith, will stick his nose in there and take on the ball carrier. I don't think that this management wants a pansy back there.

I think the same reason goes for Illinois' Vontae Davis. I know many like him but he's not as active in run support as he's made out to be in my opinion nor is he a easy guy to deal with in the locker room. He does play in run support but not as much as others say. He makes a big run stop and then the rest of the game he's either watching, circling around the ball carrier or lightly jogging toward the play. Just watch him against Ohio State if you have the game. Watch Terrelle Pryor run up the middle and into the open field. Vontae Davis has a good shot at bringing him down because he closes very well on the ball carrier but instead, he watches Pryor run up the field and he just jogs through the play.

njfinfan likes this.
  7. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    The front office must think he would fit in our system since they brought him in for a work out. unless they want another team to think we're interested in him. I highly doubt the latter b/c i don't think we're in the bussiness of making trades. i believe we'll use every draft pick that we currently have.

padre31 likes this.
  8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Due diligence IMO.

Just like they met with Brian Orakpo. Just like they met with Mark Sanchez. Due diligence. Are those players likely to be around our pick? Probably not. Orakpo won't. Sanchez might - very slim possibility - but you still want info on these guys, regardless of who they are and what might happen to them on draft day.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    IMO it would depend on what they are looking for, if they want the best cover corner they can find at the cheapest price in a draft pick, they will bring in the marginal guys who may not fit our system to a "T", but who can do that job for us.