1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins first in rush offense, second in rush defense and...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    first in third down conversion offense.... yet 1 and 3 where it matters. I think the stats, to a degree, are more indicative of who we played not how we played. The real test will be next Monday night against the Jets. They can run the ball very well... and they can stop the run with big Kris Jenkins if he's healthy. If we run the ball and stop the run better than they do, we should win knowing that there are two young qb's involved who will make their share of mistakes.

2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I think the stats are very indicative of how the NFL is evolving into a pass first league. Teams like the Colts, Falcons, and Chargers all have capable running games but do their damage through the air.

Specifically for the Colts, running the ball is almost an afterthought. Some teams like the Patriots hardly run at all.

So stopping the run against teams that only run the ball a handful of times / game doesn't mean what it used to. If they are lighting up the secondary through the air, that's all that matters.

keypusher and Paul 13 like this.
  3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    most part agree MB, except later in the season when the weather turns, lets see how they fair when they can't run the ball or stop the run.

MonstBlitz and anlgp like this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

This.

In my opinion what matters first is the score. Then the clock.

If you can control one (or both) you should normally win the game. Of course there are exceptions to the rule (see week 2: colts), but I think usually the team that controls the clock wins the football game.

This is one thing that I think the Eagles in particular are known for. They don't really play hot football in september/october, but come November, December they're pretty damn difficult to beat. And they've made the playoffs for a long time now.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    An immovable force will meet an unstoppable object next Monday.

6. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The Patriots run the ball alot more than people think. Go look at many times they ran it during Brady's huge season...it will make you question what you're seeing.
    Posted via Mobile Device