1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins finally contact Tom Gamble

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Serpico Jones, Jan 10, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    were gonna lose a late one for B-Mac.

2. Patssuck

Patssuck Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    M.I.A
    I hope we pick up a lt and at least one guard in free agency so we have some flexibility in the first round.

3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    No kidding, that's my point.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

Fin D likes this.
  5. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Until we actually see who is interested in the job and who is hired, there is no way right now to assume this isn't a highly coveted GM position. In fact the only highly thought of GM prospect who seems to have no interest in the position at this time is Ravens Asst. GM Eric DeCosta. DeCosta loves working for the Ravens and he probably figures he will become the next Ravens GM when Ozzie Newsome retires in a few years. So I don't see him being interested in any GM openings which might occur before Newsome retires.

Yes, it would be great if the Dolphins had the draft picks they had last year. I just don't think the individuals who are interviewing for the position are worried about the fact the Dolphins don't have as many draft picks this year as they did last year.

I originally had concerns because Ross had not defined the role of the next GM and I was afraid the GM would have to answer to Philbin and Aponte. Now that Ross has come out and stated that the new GM would have the same powers as Ireland, as well as report directly to him. I think this will allow Ross to have his pick from among several high quality candidates. I just hope he makes the right selection.

6. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Moving to Hawaii and Jeff Ireland gets fired. You've had a good few months JW.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

7. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    highly doubt it, in fact all the tackles with 1st round grades could be gone by our pick, especially when FSU's Cameron Erving, USC's Corey Robinson, and Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi were guys with potential high grades and all 3 are returning to school. LSU's La'el Collins is another highly rated tackle, he could go back to school too. now all of a sudden this OT-rich draft isn't so deep anymore, you basically have Matthews, Robinson, Tiny Richardson, Lewan, Kouandjio as 1st round guys, and they'll probably all be drafted before 19.

if we sign a LT and a guard in free agency we'd have a little more flexibility as far as taking BPA in the 1st round, like a stud TE in Eric Ebron, or a stud safety in Haha Clinton-Dix if we let Clemons walk, or a stud DT in Louis Nix if we let Starks and/or Soliai walk. but then we'd almost HAVE to use our 2nd and 3rd round picks on another guard and RT (Baylor's Richardson in the 2nd and Seantreal Henderson in the 3rd would be an ideal scenario).

**** Ireland for leaving us with such massive holes on the offensive line.

8. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I can't argue with you there. Seventeen more days and we will be headed out of South Florida for good. I will miss being in the stands at Sun Life for Dolphin and Hurricane games.

I never had anything personal against Ireland and I wish him and his family nothing but the best in the future. My only problem with him was I didn't think he did a good job as the Dolphins GM. It sure makes the move to Maui that much better, knowing that the Dolphins future might finally be headed in the right direction. Hopefully the next GM will bring in the talent which will turn the Dolphins into a legitimate SB contender over the next few years.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That's a very nice compliment...

for Stitches

:shifty:

ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Moving to Hawaii is one thing you and i can agree on. Its my dream.

11. MrClean

I think we'll have a shot at Lewan, or the Alabama kid if he comes out. This does look like a better draft to go guard early rather than tackle. So many good WRs, I'd hate to miss on a great one, just because it's one of our stronger positions now.

ToddPhin likes this.
  12. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    We haven't agreed on much, that is for sure. Yet living in Hawaii has been my dream since my wife and I first visited there in 1992. Finally getting the chance to live there full time is going to be like being on vacation 365 days a year. I hope that some day you are able to live out your dream by moving to the Hawaiian Islands too.

Fin D likes this.
  13. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    It was reported on ESPN a couple of days ago that Kouandjio from Alabama, is going to enter the NFL draft this year. So he certainly should be a possibility for the Dolphins if he is still on the board when they draft in the first round.

MrClean likes this.
  14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I like Lewan and Greg Robinson more than Kouandjio. I'd still take a shot at Branden Albert in free agency first though.

mroz and ToddPhin like this.
  15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ditto on all points. I think Kouandjio is a tad overrated, probably b/c he's from Bama's Oline.

77FinFan likes this.
  16. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Your right, but I don't know if Robinson and Lewan will still be on the board when the Dolphins draft at 19. If one of them are still there, I agree I would take either one of them over Kouandjio.

17. MrClean

Me too, because I think he may have to play RT in the NFL. Robinson will be OTB by our pick.
    I would like to see us take a page from the Bears, and sign two OL as UFAs, and draft two starters, if possible; along with a back like Hyde. If we did that I'd be fine with all other starters returning.

18. MrClean

Right now, NFL Draft Scout has Lewan 26th overall. They have Zack Martin 18th. I'd take Zack, because he can be a solid starter somewhere even if not at LT.

jw3102 likes this.
  19. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    I wonder if a team would let us trade up 3 spots for the rights to Martin?

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Robinson Is just on another level.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Ricky Martin?

RoninFin4 likes this.
  22. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think Lewan is the most realistic left tackle to be available at the 19th spot. There's other guys I'd consider later in the draft, but I still think Branden Albert is the best shout. If anything, he's proven. I might, and I reiterate *MIGHT* also rate Anthony Collins up there. He's been very good this year and in the past when he's been called upon. There's just something that seems like it's missing with him - injuries, involvement in the marijuana ring, inability to garner playing time over Andre Smith prior to 2012 when the light came on for Andre. Just something about him makes me "queasy" to borrow from a long lost note card. :shifty:

As far as the 19th pick goes, I'm more inclined to use it on a defensive player. I'd take Louis Nix, C.J. Mosley and Ha'sean Clinton-Dix over a left tackle if they're available at 19. I don't think I'd have any regrets taking Aaron Donald or Ra'shede Hageman there over Taylor Lewan, even if some people want to call it a reach. If I knew I was running a 3-4, I'd probably add Stephon Tuitt to the conversation, though he's more of a late 1st/early 2nd guy in my eyes regardless. Any of those guys is filling a hole on defense as things presently stand.

MrClean likes this.
  23. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    If we don't sign a left tackle in free agency then we're not in a position to pass on one at #19 IF one with a 1st round grade is still on the board

24. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if the dolphins sign a competent LT in free agency i would love taking nix at #19, but a good LT has to come first.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I disagree with this line of thinking. Miami has holes, big ones, on both sides of the ball and I'd rate any of the three players - Nix, Mosley, and Clinton-Dix - above Taylor Lewan at the 19th pick. There are still viable options for a left tackle in rounds 2 and 3 as well. Billy Turner, Morgan Moses and Seantreal Henderson are all options. I'd think you can look at guys like Jack Mewhort and James Hurst as well.

Plus, if Miami's signing Gary Kubiak or Kyle Shanahan as the OC, you'd have to figure that Ryan Tannehill's going to be moving around a lot more than he was with Mike Sherman calling the plays. I think if you get Tannehill playing the way Jake Plummer was in Denver, or Jay Cutler in Denver for that matter, or moving around like Matt Schaub did with Houston, the need for an elite left tackle is mitigated.

Two playoff teams this year started rookie left tackles not picked in the first round - Saints (Armstead) and Packers (Bahktiari).

MrClean likes this.
  26. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Someone might want to think about changing the name of this thread......

27. MrClean

If we feel we can get Billy Turner in round 2, then I say go BPA regardless of any position in round 1.