1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins' Fan Base Ranked 19th for Enthusiasm, But They Do Know How to Party

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/ripti...anked_19th.php

You know a year or two ago I would have not given a crap about this, but after visiting Green Bay and seeing how they do it up there, I feel like we have some of the worse fans ever. Freaking Ridiculous!

Bpk likes this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Stopped reading right there.

Section126 likes this.
  3. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yeah, but we're first in skepticism...

Trowa, dolfan32323 and unluckyluciano like this.
  4. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    The best Dolphins fans live out of Florida.

5. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yeah everybody has moved away I grew up with.

Tin Indian likes this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Its not our fan's, it's our stadium.

DolfanJake likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yup, there'd be far better attendance if it were a dome.

8. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yeah most of you guys have never witnessed a Dolphins game in the Orange Bowl. That was magical. I used to have my season tickets in section CC in the End Zone, we all called ourselves the End Zone Animals, and trust me we made ourselves known at ever game. I remember a Dec 1981 game in which Ron Jawarski came to the line 8 times in a row to get the ball off because it was so loud. The Orange Bowl might have been a dump, but it was a grand place to watch a football game as a fan, what an atmosphere it produced !!! :up:

Coral Reefer and Tin Indian like this.
  9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Hey Superfan....I was at that game. it was in 1984.

10. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    As many pointed out yesterday, Jets fans have a reputation as being classless, obnoxious, disgusting, etc. And during my debate I almost brought up this point: Miami fans are known as a bunch of uninformed, bandwagon jumpers. Before you jump all over my sack, I DO NOT AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT. In fact, just from my exprerience here, you seem to be pretty in touch with your team. So my question is this. Why do Miami fans have this reputation? Is is what this article says? Attendance?

11. ilovemyfins4eva

ilovemyfins4eva New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    long island
    its prob the attendance numbers. Miami has a huge following nation wide, its just that most die hard fans live outside Miami. of course Miami has its die hard fans in the area, but most of the die hards live outside the area.

its not only football, miami in general is a bandwagon city. is it not a coincidence that all the sudden everybody is a ''die hard'' heat fan in miami now?

ive been to miami plenty of times in my life, and never have i seen anything ppl wearing hit stuff, or yet never have i heard the heat talked about. miami just in general is a bandwagon town.

12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't think many people spend a lifetime in Florida. They either live their life somewhere else for a while and then move there, or grow up there and then move somewhere else. I am the latter. I joined the military and when I got out there was more opportunity north than there was back in Florida. I grew up in north Florida, there are probably even less lifers in the southern part of the state. So people growing up as Dolfans might leave and new people will come in here that are loyal to other teams. People in other states jump to conclusions without taking into consideration the dynamics of the state. It is not like theirs. I'd say a significantly higher amount of people in say Green Bay have always been there. I don't think many people retire to Green Bay. But I could be wrong.

DolfanJake and HardKoreXXX like this.
  13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    They "...can tongue-kiss my ****-hole"

-K. Powers

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i agree,our stadium is nowheres close to my state. :( those average family prices could go up to double for me.i do try and see them play if they play the saints or texans but as for home games it is just too far.

15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Where do they rank in crybaby?

Bpk, unluckyluciano and MikeHoncho like this.
  16. Arodgers12

Arodgers12 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    After last Sunday Miami fans have the kindest respectful fans that I have come upon at least in the AFC. Bills and Bengals fans are cool as well but Miami fanbase has been very cool.

jazz and djphinfan like this.
  17. JDelenne

JDelenne Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I lived in South Florida pretty much my whole life, I live in Orlando now but still. I hate that Miami has a lot of bandwagon Fans but so do a lot of teams (Yankees). I've always been a Dolphins fan, Gators fan, Marlins fan, and Heat fan since I was a little kid and it pisses me off when someone is just like "oh you just like them because they are a good team".

I also think that our attendance would increase with a dome but I would hate to have a dome or at least have a retractable roof in case for rain. I love the open field and our summer advantage and we would be giving that all away with a dome.

18. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    True. however there are the rare exceptions. I am one of them. Born and raised and no plans to go anywhere else. When I was a kid there was only one team in Florida.

Joe Robbie Stadium just plain sucks. The Orange Bowl was a ****hole, but it had character, it had atmosphere. JRS is too sterile, its got no soul and from the few games that I have gone to the fans added to this by sitting on their f'ing hands the whole game (kind of like being at a Magic game). My home theater has a better game day atmosphere, my neighbors can hear my yelling and cheering everytime the Phins are on.

19. Arodgers12

Oct 18, 2010
    Isnt your stadium called pro player stadium?

20. ilovemyfins4eva

ilovemyfins4eva New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    long island
    its had like 50 names. now its sunlife.

21. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    It is not our fans... it is the fact that every week there are more fans from the other team there to root their team on then there is Dolphins fans.

22. Arodgers12

Oct 18, 2010
    Must not be fun to play there in September and October. My Dad had to go there back in 1992 for hurricane andrew cleanup and I think he went to a Dolphins game. He said it was fun but very hot.

23. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Disagree 100%

The location I could agree with, the stadium before renovations was almost the same as the old meadowlands, and they sell out.

Win and they will come.

24. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Colin Cowherd talks about this all the time. It's a broken record, but it's true. Nobody moves from Florida to Green Bay, Massachusetts, Indiana, Pennsylvania or New York. THOSE PEOPLE MOVE HERE.

On a separate issue, I don't think the stadium is as bad as people make it out to be. Sounds like an excuse to me. It's in a great location, and I've heard it get pretty damn loud. It's just that this team hasn't been elite in a long time. We're spoiled from the Marino days. And people out there are kidding themselves if they think places like New England and New York aren't the same way. I'd like to see the Jets attendance coming off their 1-15 season, or the Patriots if they turn into the Lions after Brady and BB retires.

Tin Indian, muscle979 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  25. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Florida is full of transplanted people, you have a very wide variety of fans, like when the Jets or Pats play in Miami, you have a ton of transplanted Northerners.

Now, the Jets have and I have been there since they came to NJ, a younger rowdier partying crowd than the Giants whom have an older season ticket base, and there tickets usually stay in the family and are past down.

Bpk likes this.
  26. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    So fan enthusiasm is limited to what the daily beast designates?

What about enthusiastic fans who spend their hard earned money on apparel, even if its for sitting at home to watch the game? What about the enthusiasm required to tune into every game on television.

As far as I can remember from when such research has been done, we are in the top echelon of the league in those regards. Our fans spend their time and money on this franchise moreso than many other fans, Im hard pressed to blanket the fan-base as "unenthusiastic". Thin skinned & impatient though...

Isnt this the NY based website that was plagiarizing the Miami Herald? :lol:

27. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Who in the heck said that? One of your buddies down at GangGreen? :up:

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    nope...it would be better if they fans felt like the could make an impact with their team, thus creating excitement amongst the base on a level we haven't had since the orange bowl.. thus increasing ticket sales, thus putting more money in our owner's pocket, and adrenaline in our player's bodies.

were 3 and 0 on the road...and have been getting spanked at home for 3 years...

Kurt Kerbstreet basically came out and said that there is something wrong with the type of energy in sun life stadiumm..calling it a corporate and anticeptic feel.

Do you not aknowledge any signs that this crazy theory of mine might just have some relevance?

Ask cowboy fan and cowboy player about their stadium....they would trade their glitz and glamour for the old ballpark in a second.

How much more proof do you need to know there is a correlation between poor overall home performances, and the lack of intimacy in a stadium...The residual affect this lack of intimacy has on our franchise is evident to me, I understand why you might not agree though..it does sound crazy, and I guess iam the only one that does believe it...

The story is getting bigger and bigger, just as I have projected....I absolutely hope any team would play the same in sun life or the orange bowl, I just dont think a team can match that level of intensity in a place that doesn't provide it...and, I think when a visiting team enjoys the elements of an opposing team's stadium, they have fun playing.

29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and if you wanna chance that perception, which I desperately want to do for many reason's, then you build the OB2 to do two thing's, intimidate, and inspire a community.

DolfanJake likes this.
  30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    1: Attendance would absolutely be better if the Dolphins played in a dome. Many people don't enjoy paying $80 for heat stroke.

2: The Jets and Patriots games both had the stadium plenty loud compared to other stadiums around the league. The fans were not the reason the team faltered. Unless of course you think the lack of intimacy in the stadium is what actually caused our STs to have 3 kicks blocked in 2 games.

3: Who is Kurt Kerbstreet? :confused2:

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    NJ, iam not denying that the more we win,, the more fans will come...your right.

32. Arodgers12

Oct 18, 2010
    You guys seem to have a diehard fanbase.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    part of my gripe is that heat you speak of, I most definitley think they need a half roof on the thing...Ive been to games where people could care less about the game, they have no energy for it by 2 oclock..and their battling...that's no environment for energy in crucial situation's..

Remember, I dont think its our fan's fault, I think its an issue of how players perform when they dont feel like their under the microscope, which in our stadium, they are not, moreso than any other team in the league...

Its a feeling of not having your fans on top of you at the stadium when your playing is what iam trying to get at, yet you still play the game, that must suck for a player that thrives off it,...and imo, that's gonna take a team a while to understand how to do...I think were in the right mindset now...us against the world should be the right ticket to the adrenaline it takes to reach optimum levels of performance over a period of time.

34. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Let me tell ya something about "some" Phanatics. I recall going to a playoff game vs Seattle many moons ago, and in the OB. I went to that game with a Miami fireman. We were on the top of the stadium, and it was frakin freezing.

I had a down jacket, good for 30 below with a pint of Irish whiskey, and all he had was a Dolphins rain parka. By the second half, his teeth were chattering, and he was shivering something fierce.

We all wanted to leave because of his condition. He "explained" that he was staying until the end of the game, and if anyone touched him, he would throw them off the top of the OB. He was dead serious.

That, my friends , is what "some" Dolphans are all about.

Pandarilla and ilovemyfins4eva like this.
  35. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and in what way is that even remotely true?

Coral Reefer likes this.
  36. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Me too....

Philly was kicking the extra point to tie it with no time left and Doug Betters broke thru and blocked it for the win....... one of the loudest games I've ever been to.

37. HolliFinFan

HolliFinFan Not a Face Painter Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    South Florida
    I miss going to the games, as I gave up season tix this year for lots of reasons. I will be there for at least three games though, including the Steelers game. Loud, loyal and great tailgating friends and new friends at every game. I don't get the angst against those of us who actually do go and are criticized on this board (and others). Regardless, go Fins :hi5:

38. Arodgers12

Oct 18, 2010
    You guys ever visited lambeau at all? If so what do you guys think?

39. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Haven't. But really want to.

40. Arodgers12

Oct 18, 2010
    I would love to come to Miami and see a game there. The next time the packers come down there maybe.