Dolphins Eyeing Pat White

32 replies

PhinGeneralPhinGeneralSupporterOP
Jan 12, 2009, 01:32 PM

I guess we want to do more Wildcattin'.

Dolphins eyeing Pat White

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 01:37 PM

If true, and if it happened, would this hinder Henne's development?

A little OT: But anyone find it humorous that Cote says:

(Although I can do without the "John 3:16" on the eye-black, Timmy. Don't like it when religion is worn on the sleeve like that. Separation of church and sports, por favor).

Yet a couple of paragraphs before he writes:

Geez, thank God for Canes football or we'd have nothing to complain about!

calphincalphinNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 01:38 PM

I really don't think were gonna Draft a guy who is only gonna play 4-5 snaps a game.

I could be wrong.


Thanks Gish

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 01:47 PM

Yeah drafting a QB 'specialist' seems like a frivolous way to spend a valuable commodity.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 01:48 PM

"Finascious D wrote:

If true, and if it happened, would this hinder Henne's development?

A little OT: But anyone find it humorous that Cote says:

Yet a couple of paragraphs before he writes:

I know John 3:16 is biblical quote (It's better to give than receive, or words to that effect) but since before the football follies it's had a football meaning of "It's better to hit than be hit."

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 01:59 PM

John 3:16 is not anything about better to give than receive...

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish , but have everlasting life."

Tebow professes to be a Christian, hence, he wears the verse that typifies how to be saved.

rafaelrafaelForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 02:03 PM

The wildcat is about 10% of our offense and our most effective run formation. I wouldn't have a problem with drafting a specialist for it as long as it's somebody we believe has the skills to eventually become more than just a specialist. That was my complaint when we drafted Lorenzo Booker. I thought he might be an okay 3rd down back but I felt he had no chance to ever become a feature back. If they like White or anybody else for their wildcat applications great but I would only draft him if I felt he had the skills to eventually be an every down player.

dolfan32323dolfan32323New Member
Jan 12, 2009, 02:09 PM

I think Pat White's stock depends entirely on how he shows himself to be a receiver in Indy.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 02:10 PM

If we draft a guy to specifically run the wildcat I'm going to be so pissed off.

Unless of course we start winning 50-20 with it, which is doubtful.

EDIT:

If we win the superbowl using the wildcat I will recant my previous statement.

double edit:

agree with posts down the line, later rounds I'd be okay with it.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl

SceetoSceetoForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 02:15 PM

If he falls to the 4th rd...maybe

resnorresnorForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 02:20 PM

Agreed. Drafting a QB because he woud be useful in the Wildcat is flatout D-U-M-B, DUMB, DUMB, DUMB.

RERealDriscollNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 02:21 PM

If he is around say 4th or 5th round it would be a brilliant move. This guy might be the best athlete in all of NCAA football. He might not be a bad receiver and dude can actually chuck the rock a little. I'd love Pat White in Round 4

KAKanye WestNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 02:21 PM

Ronnie Brown runs the wildcat pretty good and plus why waste a draft pick on a guy who is only going to get a few snaps. If we can get him in the 7th round that would be a great value.

KAKanye WestNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 02:22 PM

"RealDriscoll wrote:

If he is around say 4th or 5th round it would be a brilliant move. This guy might be the best athlete in all of NCAA football. He might not be a bad receiver and dude can actually chuck the rock a little. I'd love Pat White in Round 4

Ummmmmmmm not quite.

Tim Tebow

Percy Harvin

to name a few before I would put Pat White. But I do agree he would be a great pick up.

Jan 12, 2009, 02:35 PM

Stupid. Draft picks are far too important to spend on a specialist. We need to be spending our picks on players that can develop, not to run a package 4-7 times a game.

MuckMuckRetired Admin
Jan 12, 2009, 04:27 PM

"dolfan32323 wrote:

I think Pat White's stock depends entirely on how he shows himself to be a receiver in Indy.

I agree. I think that's his position in the NFL. And if he can run a somewhat decent time, he'll do well for himself.

Draft him as a WR, bulk him up to 200 pounds and see what he can do on special teams, be it as a returner or defender. If he succeeds, that would allow him to be active on gamedays. They're not going to dress him just to run the Wildcat if he can't get on the field in other ways. And if this is true, I doubt the Dolphins are looking at him for that purpose alone.

In the end, it could all be a smokescreen. White's had some injuries. We're into that part of the year already. Never too early.

Kid's a football player though.

Make the throwback uniforms permanent!

ALalen1New Member
Jan 12, 2009, 04:36 PM

"dolfan32323 wrote:

I think Pat White's stock depends entirely on how he shows himself to be a receiver in Indy.

Talk is that some teams and scouts want to see him in the QB drills as well. Doesn't mean he will play it at the next level, I just figured I'd point it out.

RoninFin4RoninFin4Supporter
Jan 12, 2009, 04:37 PM

Ireland drafted former Washington QB Isaiah Stanback to play WR in Dallas. Stanback is of similar size and athletic ability to Pat White - White is a lot faster and more dynamic, but it's easy to see the correlation.

@KevinMD4

Finatic8480Finatic8480New Member
Jan 12, 2009, 05:10 PM

I know I might get killed for this, but who cares it is my opinion. Last year there was a player I followed his name was Davone Bess. I was dying for Miami to draft this kid and I was ridiculed and made fun off. They didn't draft him buy he was picked up as UDFA and was awesome his rookie year.

The moment I saw Pat White play and we started using the WC I thought it was a match made in heaven. The reason teams started figuring out the WC is cause 90 % was throwing and the main reason is cause Ronnie can't throw for ****. White has an arm and is as dynamic as they come. He has recieved comparisons to Mike Vick and besides being athlethic he is a pretty darn QB. By drafting White you not only get a Specialist or QB with all the upside in the World. You get a WR and RB and even KR/PR. The Tuna made Foyster his project this year who is to say he wont make White and bigger better project.

Who would you rather have White or Beck?

Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.

QrtBck13QrtBck13New Member
Jan 12, 2009, 05:35 PM

Not only would this pick make our wildcat almost as dynamic as any formation could be................he could be used as a WR(where Penny plays) in the WC, the QB (as ronnie plays), and as the motion man (usually ricky). He could also be used in many other tricks plays........Its a cool idea....now if hes staring us in the face in the 5th round......ok i say lets take a shot........i believe picking him in the 4th would be somewhat stupid with the needs of depth at o-line and in the secondary.

No really what's your name? Its Trey Wingo!:scooter:

Mcduffie81Mcduffie81Supporter
Jan 12, 2009, 05:38 PM

If the front office sees White as a good player im DEFINITELY on board for bringing him here. He could expand the wild cat by leaps and bounds. Who says we'll only run wild cat 10% or so next year? Maybe itll be an even BIGGER part of our offense in 2009. IMO a football player is a football player. The article even mentions him being a "winner". All that said, i'd hope it be somewhere between rounds 4-5 we would pick him up.

"There is nothing to fear, except everyone trying to tackle me." - Ted Ginn Jr.

like2godlike2godLuxury Box
Jan 12, 2009, 05:43 PM

I think Ginn could be used as the "specialist" if Miami wanted to utilize him that way. But I don't see the wisdom in spending a draft pick on a player who may only contribute on a couple plays a game, especially if it's a relatively early draft pick.


I love you Mom, you are the greatest woman that I've ever known.

PAPaulyForum Veteran
Jan 12, 2009, 05:55 PM

"QrtBck13 wrote:

Not only would this pick make our wildcat almost as dynamic as any formation could be................he could be used as a WR(where Penny plays) in the WC, the QB (as ronnie plays), and as the motion man (usually ricky). He could also be used in many other tricks plays........Its a cool idea....now if hes staring us in the face in the 5th round......ok i say lets take a shot........i believe picking him in the 4th would be somewhat stupid with the needs of depth at o-line and in the secondary.

What he said.

JajJajNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 06:11 PM

Ah yes since the countless picks over the last eight years have been so useful for fourth round picks. Let's see this all-star list.

Shawn Murphy
Paul Soliai
Joe Toledo
Travis Daniels
Will Poole
Randy McMicheal

1-2/7 is a pretty poor ratio of hits. Ok honestly you can't tell me that Pat White wouldn't be fairly useful in the Wildcat because he can do two things.

There are a few things he can do that Pennington cannot:

- He must be accounted for on the reverse.
- He can take the snap and pass.
- He can take the snap and run.
- He can catch the ball.
- He can throw that deep ball Pennington is asked to throw on the reverse like a true quarterback.
- He may become quite the value as a wide receiver which we also need.
- He's also a guy who can develop into Henne's backup.

For a fourth round pick sign me up. For a third rounder maybe not, but for a fourth heck yes. It's either him or a CB/WR who slid for a good reason.

Bring this man back into the fold if you want some real leadership on this team.

opfinisticopfinisticNew Member
Jan 12, 2009, 06:38 PM

"Jaj wrote:

Ah yes since the countless picks over the last eight years have been so useful for fourth round picks. Let's see this all-star list.

Shawn Murphy
Paul Soliai
Joe Toledo
Travis Daniels
Will Poole
Randy McMicheal

1-2/7 is a pretty poor ratio of hits. Ok honestly you can't tell me that Pat White wouldn't be fairly useful in the Wildcat because he can do two things.

There are a few things he can do that Pennington cannot:

- He must be accounted for on the reverse.
- He can take the snap and pass.
- He can take the snap and run.
- He can catch the ball.
- He can throw that deep ball Pennington is asked to throw on the reverse like a true quarterback.
- He may become quite the value as a wide receiver which we also need.
- He's also a guy who can develop into Henne's backup.

For a fourth round pick sign me up. For a third rounder maybe not, but for a fourth heck yes. It's either him or a CB/WR who slid for a good reason.

Interesting way to look at it. :up: