1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins expected to keep only two Quarterbacks on the active roster

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatic8480, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    A reliable source has confirmed to me tonight the Dolphins have a plan in place to start the season with just two QBs on the active roster. The third QB is expected to be signed to the practice squad. Fins could sign Devlin to the PS if he clears waivers or Adam Froman who they worked out today.

dolfan22 and MrClean like this.
  2. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Gooh. Neither Devlin, Brandstater, Froman, or O'Connell is worth of a roster spotl

Boik14 likes this.
  3. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Brandstater was with someone else. Dallas?

4. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes. Spears put a couple good hits on him last night.

5. MrClean

That's what a reliable league source told me too. My own two eyes.

Springveldt, bakedmatt and padre31 like this.
  6. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Devlin could potentially worth that 3rd qb roster spot but isn't now. Especially when he can be on the practice squad. I'll take him there.

7. DOLPHANITY

DOLPHANITY Wooo Dolphins

Oct 21, 2009
    JERSEY
    I dont know in detail exactly how it works but to my understanding they can use that extra roster spot towards another position, right? If so, why the hell does every team use more than 2 slots on qbs? Its not like a 3rd sting qb has ever been useful towards winning a season or anything if the main qb goes down. The only reason I can see multiple qbs used is if you have special packages like a tebow or vick 2 years ago type of thing. Or am I just crazy?

8. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    I hope they only keep 8 OL and 2TE as well keep room for the returner WR and DB spots as well.

9. bg12dm13cp10

bg12dm13cp10 New Member

Aug 17, 2011
    You keep the third QB so you can develop him for the future. If you put a young rookie with great potential like Devlin on the PS, you will lose him, then you have no future.

Besides this organization is totally clueless when it comes to QB or winning.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  10. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You, like many of us are just crazy....hehehehe, but I digress...I think the new rule change about the designation of the 3rd qb will change how teams look at this roster spot. The prudent thing, as you said, is to keep the 3rd guy on the PS and not activate him unless you have to, like if the first or 2nd guy are injured or whatever. I think there are only a handful of times I've seen the 3rd guy get into a game, except for those times you stated where there are packages and the 1st guy gets hurt and usually even if the 3rd guy is in the game, it's because they are desperate at that point. I think this is exactly why the rules were changed and that was to acquire an additional roster spot for gamedays...

DOLPHANITY likes this.
  11. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    You keep a third qb in case the starter and the 2nd QB are both knocked out of the game, or in case the 2nd QB has to come in and is ineffective. Call me old school, but I don't like it.

12. Larryfinfan

That may be the case. Everyone will be doing the same so unless there is someone else who's QB goes down during the week teams shouldn't have to worry. On the other hand, if I am a QB like say Devlin (I'm not sure I agree with that assessment of him, but assuming you could be right) then I have a chance to be picked up by a team and get on an active roster... There is a chance that you lose the guy to a team that needs a QB but everyone will be doing the same and what if you have 3 QBs on your roster (like Denver with Orton, Quinn and Tebow ??) and none of them qualify for the PS ?? Those teams will be at a disadvantage on gameday. As I said above, I think this rule change was made at the insistence of GMs and coaches who have to worry about having the right guys active game day... I don't know the chances that Devlin is our heir apparent to Henne yet, but I think I'd rather have an extra OL or LBer or whatever I'm short of due to injury that week than a guy that won't get into the game...

There always will be the chance you lose a guy from the PS, but at most everyone will be in the same boat...

13. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    We ended up using a third QB last season, so what do they do if that happens again? How embarrassing would it be to have nobody to play QB in the middle of a game because they only kept two on the roster.

14. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    That was partially because our first stringer was made of glass. Though I do worry a bit with our shaky OL.

I think a few teams will do this in 2011 to take advantage of the new rules.

15. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Wildcat :)

smahtaz likes this.
  16. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Daniel Thomas was a HS QB...worst case scenario he can turn and hand off which is basically what a 3rd string QB does anyway. Keep the best 53 regardless of position. If you get in to QB 3 territory you are in the Luck/Barkley Bowl anyway and if youre in it you may as well win it.

unifiedtheory, Stitches and Frayser like this.
  17. Larryfinfan

Like NO with Canfield/Chase ?? Like Indy with Painter/Orlovsky ?? Like the Cards with Bartel/Hall/Croyle?? I think this really depends on your QB situation in general. What's Philly gonna do with VY hurt now ?? Mike Kafka ??

You have to have two things to do this. One, is a no questions asked #1 guy (not necessarily an elite guy, but one that is your main guy) and two is a solid guy you are comfortable putting in should your #1 get hurt and then maybe you can have that young buck taking a roster spot to develop, if you have that much confidence in him. I don't think any of the three backups in Ariz are that kind of guy. Tebow might be that kind of guy, but you invested a #1 draft choice in him, so he'd better be developed.

Too many teams don't have that luxury and will not given the 'win today' mantra in today's NFL. It used to be a 3-4 yr development cycle for players...not any more...I think this is why we see so many draft busts nowadays...guys like John McCargo drafted in the first round 2 yrs ago and being cut from his second team yesterday. Like Gholston, Maybin, White, etc...If you are a great organization, like the Saints, NE or Philly, maybe you can develop these guys, but not struggling organizations like ours...

18. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly. If we happen to lose both Henne and Moore in a single game, I think we'll just go Wildcat with Thomas.

19. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I would prefer to keep Livas over a 3rd QB. He has made every right decision on returns, gives us a legit chance to break a play, will play a lot more, keeps Bess fresher, and could well be a difference maker in winning a game or two.

Yes, I do like the guy. :)

20. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I agree about Livas. I don't expect that he'll have a bunch of TDs or anything (two return TDs is a great season for any returner). But I do expect that he'll make very few (if any) errors and make the first guy miss quite a bit of the time. I think there's more value in that than in any third QB on our roster.

Stitches likes this.
  21. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    If Livas gives us an extra 5 yards by making the first guy miss, gives us an extra 10 yards by making VG decisions or, having teams kick away from him, and breaks a play or two, he is a welcome addition.

I don't like using Bess on returns. Regardless of how good a shape he's in, returns do take something out of him (especially in Miami heat), which would be better served by him on O.

22. MrClean

I'd do that too. Not sure it would effect the DBs though. I think 9 make it there no matter how the offense aligns for numbers. 8 OL, 2 TE, you could keep 6 WRS plus a RS like Livas.

23. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

Keeping 7 WRs would not be smart...Cut Wallace and move on with Livas and Moore.

24. MrClean

Why?

25. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Reliable source?

26. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    If you're down to a 3rd QB in a game you're probably pretty much screwed anyway. And double if it has to last more than just that game.

Stitches likes this.