1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins down to 3 targets?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think so, because Mike Pouncey has proven himself an adept pulling center(a rarity for a couple reasons) and is capable of doing whatever you'd theoretically want there, and they didn't have him do that much. They didn't use it until they got fed up with Reggie Bush's zone tendencies, and it was pretty sparing.

2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. ~ William Munny

[video=youtube;dpDkYZWeeVg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDkYZWeeVg[/video]

Daben likes this.
  3. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think I'd have to give one of these numbers.

[​IMG]

2xBlown likes this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I thought Warmack didn't fit our scheme? I have read that a few times on the internets.

5. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Could that be because we didn't have guards with Cooper's athleticism?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He's the highest rated player on a lot of boards.

7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Vaccaro in a heartbeat for me. Give me the physical, fast playing safety with the rare ability to cover like a corner whom we don't find every draft or FA. I like Hayden, but good corners can be found every draft and just about every FA, and in a draft that's thick with good corners I'd rather take the top safety first and a second tier corner in round 2 or 3.

8. MrClean

Good point :up:

Also though, Warmack moves better than some people want to give him credit for.
    Both he and Fluker have been referred to as phone booth maulers, and while they can do that, I do not see that they are limited to just that. Not at all.

ToddPhin likes this.
  9. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    People say it, but I think it's just stereotyping and a bit lazy. There are plenty of examples of Warmack executing well on outside zone and hitting second level targets well.

He's athletic enough, but he's just a good natural zone blocker.

10. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What they did was pretty well in-line with what both Philbin and Sherman have done. I'd reiterate that Pouncey is more than capable of handing whatever athletic including pulling, and they didn't use him too often.

11. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I'm aware but it seems like we arr always getting studs in the 1st round and trying to get our homerun playmakers in the later rounds.

Let's not forget we went into this offseason wanting playmakers.

Wallace, ellerbe, wheller, Keller...all playmakers

2lineman...lower tier FAs

I hope that trend continues we Ned to solve the OT problem without losing the ability to get a elite playmaker.

Eifert, Austin, Jones, Jordan, badger, Bailey....etc.

Let's go get these players

The only starting positions we must address is OT
    I feel getting an TE capable of blocking, and another dynamic rusher opposite wake are our biggest needs after that.

We can address OT w/o having to use our first. Let's use the first of a BIGTIME PLAYMAKER.

if we dick around and trade back and miss the chance to draft a top end talent that can make plays, I will know that the only way we will ever have elite passrushers/pass catchers is if we hit gold later in the draft, or through free agency

Imo Odrick has lived up to everything I thought he would be.

We upgrade speed at lb and exchange grimes for Smith. Throw in Jones, we are dynamic.

Adding a Austin or eifert makes our offense dynamic

Without...we are ordinary. We have a chance to make one side of the ball dynamic Instead of ordinary.

djphinfan likes this.
  12. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Neither Warmack nor Cooper will be available at 12. Both will be gone in the top 10, which quite honestly makes the hand wringing over the idea of drafting one look quite foolish.

GMJohnson likes this.
  13. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    You think one of the Tackles drops? Or all 5 linemen to go in top 10? That'd be pretty awesome though.

14. Rouk

Rouk Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Hollywood, Florida
    meh wouldn't be surprised at all if both are still there at 12

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think when you this close to completing an offensive vision, you go for it, Wallace and Keller shouldn't be the end, Eifert or Austin completes it and makes it lethal, without one of those skillsets, were not there, and why settle for less.

mi2cents likes this.
  16. MrClean

5 OL in the top 10. Has that ever happened before? I cannot agree that is going to happen. We shall see though.

17. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Yup, I think you're right: in a draft lacking a clear top 15 and lacking much separation in talent through the first round, the unique guys are likely to gain an edge. Vaccaro and Austin have pretty rare skills: you just don't see many size Safeties with Vaccaro's man coverage skills to go along with his thick build against the run, even blitzing too; and Austin's unique skill set is of course well documented. Not to mention that their positions (and versatility) are increasing in value - inside pass-catchers going higher and higher, and a guy like Vaccaro who can mitigate those inside mismatches is, as a result, more important.

ToddPhin likes this.
  18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    So there's a chance 3 tackles and 2 guards are taken in the top 10? Half of the top 10 picks would be offensive linemen. I would think that would be a first.

19. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Watch jets draft warmack and Vaccaro, then eddy lacy in the 2nd.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That's a great draft.

21. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I don't see why we wouldn't use the pick on either the best tackle available or the best cornerback available. I do like Warmack quite a bit and this Vaccaro kid must be something special for them to go with him when we have Jones, and Clemons already in place. Who am I though?

22. MrClean

I'd rather they take Warmack and Vaccaro at 9 and 13 than Austin and Eifert.

23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    watch the Jets draft Warmack, DJ Fluker, and then Lacy to reestablish a ground game and identity.

Would be similar to what the Niners did with Anthony Davis at 11 and Iupati at 17 in 2010.

24. MrClean

Or what if they took Warmack and Cooper? Both of their guards are gone. That would make a wicked interior on either side of Mangold.

25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That would be wicked.
    Or how about Warmack, Fluker, Lacy, Warford?

26. MrClean

Warford should go in the 2nd, as should Lacy, so don't think this is very likely.

27. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    The Jets are in a funny position. Needs everywhere, draft picks to fill some, but they know that QB ain't winning anytime soon. The OL/RB scenarios are funny digs at Sanchez, 'this is what it's come to' kind of thing. Sensible and pathetic both at once. I personally think they'll take one of Mingo, Vaccaro, Rhodes, Hayden at 9 or 13; no way Rex ignores the D now that they lost Revis.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    That could be a blessing in disguise, especially if Nassib and/or Geno Smith go ahead of us also. We'd have a much better chance of getting one of the top 3 OTs.

29. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    The New York Crimson Tide? :shifty:

30. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    It'd be wicked if WE took Cooper/Fluker, or Warmack/Watson, maybe Lacey in the 2nd and Bailey in the 3rd. OMFG we could mash people in the run game and use Wallace/Keller to deliver the KO.

I'd love it if the Jets took Austin and Eifert TBH. Still no QB to throw them the ball so, I aint got no worries (tunechi!!)

31. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Id much rather they invest on one of the hilariously bad quarterbacks in this years draft.

32. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Eiffert is an interesting pick because he answers the question Miami had regarding a slot WR. If Bess is gone that means Keller will likely be the slot guy. It's a good selection if that's the formation they're going for. I like him much more than I do Tavon Austin.

Drowning, mi2cents and Stringer Bell like this.
  33. Daben

Daben Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2008
    The alternative hypothesis as others have mentioned is that these three players, while talented, are not under consideration for us at 12 (as a result of the need/bpa compromise approach), and these sort of rumours are to encourage their selection before 12 so we get the guy we want.

The buzz building for Hayden and the alignment of need, talent, "core" position, and the extreme salaries for veteran corners would appear to tick all of Ireland's boxes. Same applies to other corners they may also like of course.

My worry at this stage is that Ireland's nemesis, his fear leading to the panic move will resurface near the end of round one. Much like his trade up for Daniel Thomas, if he loses his nerve regarding the OT position he could end up giving up a slew of picks to draft an OT with a second/third round grade in the late first. In some ways trading the later second rounder for Albert, whilst a ghastly move from a cap standpoint, could save Ireland from doing far worse on draft day. Of course the best result would be to be brave, not reach, and if the coaches have to work harder with less regarded prospects or we have to go back to Winston with cap in hand then so be it.

34. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    With Eifert, Keller, and Bess as natural slot receivers, Gibson and Hartline capable of playing there, Matthews, Binns, and Thigpen as developmental players, Tavon Austin at the price we'd have to pay for him would be extreme overkill. I'll enjoy watching him play for another team, as long as it's not the Patriots.

I like Eifert a lot. But if Cote is quoting anonymous sources about him then IMO that lowers the chances we'll be taking him.

35. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Probably some of both. We're desperate for an OT but all of them are expected to be gone before we pick at 12. Eifert would be a nice alternative to reaching for one, or a name used for leverage in trade negotiations.

Could be finalized draft boards leaking to the press or teams jockeying for position. We'll find out soon enough.

Thomas aside he's been a fairly patient and conservative GM, it's the outsiders who do most of the panicking.

36. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    If I could fist bump you more than once, i'd be at it for the next houR sans the Milliner thing. Trade down with San Fran would be a dream. Add more picks in the meat of this years draft and take Jonathan Banks at 31. PLEASE LORD! I WANT BANKS!

I'm pray every night that if we do trade up in this draft, it's in the 2nd round to steal Banks.

37. Drowning

Drowning ONCE MORE UNTO THE BREACH

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Vaccaro is a beast myself but after watching him some more, I see a plethora of rawness. Man, as I have described him many times before, the kid plays side line to side line in a manner which I have not seen in some time. And he hits with intentions to kill. But inbetween those splashes of brilliance- very raw.

CK crys with Warmack. I'll cry with Vaccaro. I think the entire forum would rejoice with Eifert. There you go. Problem solved.

38. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Two things.

1) I think the Jets now have to be the favorite to take Austin with one of their two 1st round picks.

2) If Lane Johnson is gone, and Vaccaro is still OTB at #12, I think we deal the pick to Dallas for their second rounder.

JMHO.