1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins discussing trade for Branden Albert.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    There was more smoke, stories, conjecture, media stories, etc. that we'd sign McCoy to be our HC...how'd that work out? Or sign Manning? Or Flynn? Or Fisher? You have no clue what the FO thinks or wants in regards to Martin, so I don't know why you feel the need to make these declarations.

2. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    I can verify that

1) There has been no meeting set up for a physical.
    2) Miami hasn't requested his medical stuff.

I'm shocked that this is getting traction while there are TWO Dolphins players who have had their medical information sent to multiple interested teams :shh:

PhinGeneral, DPlus47, Sippi and 8 others like this.
  3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Thursday update:
    Talks about a potential trade for Kansas City left tackle Branden Albert continue to progress. ESPN's John Clayton reported that the Dolphins and Albert have permission to discuss a new contract. Albert, who lives in Miami, is expected to take a physical with the Dolphins.
    But Chiefs coach Andy Reid says permission hasn't been granted, even though ESPN and a source close to Albert say otherwise.
    If he gets permission to take a physical and if it checks out -- and Albert has had back issues in the past -- and if the Dolphins and Albert can agree to a multi-year contract, then a deal with Kansas City could move forward. The Chiefs want one of Miami's two second-round picks.
    So while this is promising, it is not a sure thing this will get done.
    Kansas City ideally wants to trade him before the draft.
    Albert was ranked 25th among all left tackles by Pro Football Weekly last year.

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

Hiruma78 likes this.
  5. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    One of the names is... far from a secret. Everyone expects him to be traded. The fact that two teams picking in the top 6 are very interested, that's the surprise.

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Bess is overrated anyways.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Bess? Matt Moore? Odrick?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Davone Bess?

9. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Being that you said top 6, I am assuming Cleveland is one of the teams and as far as players. My guess would be: Davone Bess. If I had to make two additional guesses it would be Odrick or Misi.

10. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm cheating a bit but is one of the destinations for the offensive player the Eagles?

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does trading Bess make it more likely we pick Austin? Those two moves seem to go hand in hand to me.

12. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Nope trading Bess would mean the Fins are going to draft Bailey with 3a. :wink2:

13. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Im going by what im reading. Crunch has posted what he is reading. Hardly a declaration. Saying the Phins arnt happy with Martin at LT isnt a declaration. Its rumor yes but a rumor that is bred by his play and whats being judged by people more knowledgable than myself.

14. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Seems logical. Wallace, Hartline, Austin, Gibson would be our receiving corps for the next 4 years or so. That would be a helluva spread for Tannehill, nasty offense. Find a TE or extend keller if he does well, get a serviceable line, that could be an offensive nightmare for years.

On the other hand, if Bess and the Browns are hand in hand, maybe that could be part of an OT trade up package. Not a fan myself, but Bess and a 2 or something for the 6th overall. Probably more likely if Fisher or Joeckle make it to that slot. Maybe Milliner too.

15. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    If we do send our second 2nd to KC, I guess we can look at it as swapping Vontae (a player who would need a new contract next year) for Albert (a player who gets a new contract this year), and personally I'd rather have Albert between the two.
    Too bad KC doesn't have a 2nd rounder that we can swap our first 2nd with. A swap of thirds would be nice though.

An alternative would be Menelik Watson, but we'd have to use 2a for him and likely include a 3rd to trade up, so it's possible we have greater plans for 2a which Albert would thus free up.

16. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Cleveland has no need for Odrick.

17. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    how about philly?

18. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    ...they are switching to a 3-4.

19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    The Lions could really use Bess.

20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ....and they have a lot of guys already. 1st rounder Phil Taylor, Ahtyba Rubin, $34 million they just paid to Desmond Bryant, and Billy Winn who played quite well last year as a rookie. Besides, I think we'd be nuts to trade away Odrick.

MrClean and Fin-Omenal like this.
  21. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Im onboard with Austin. I always thought Bess would be involved in a trade. If that happens then Austin is almost a must. Only other position that might have us grabbing 1st is Cornerback.

22. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Then what happens to our line depth...no thanks

ToddPhin likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    They could use a left end. IMO that would only make sense if we're secretly looking to draft Ansah as Odrick's direct replacement considering there are certain positional requirements of Koyle's right end in this scheme, one of which is having the stoutness of a 3-4 end but still maintain some ability to apply pressure. Otherwise, if it's to move up for a different position it would leave us with a giant hole at right end and poor depth along the interior when factoring in how Odrick was utilized last year, so that'd be like like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

24. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Other notable potentials... Starks,Soliai, Incognito ,Patterson/marshall. Carpenter.

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Or that second rounder could be Pat White...or he could be Anquan Boldin. You never know, and I honestly believe people over value draft picks in trades and it's due to free agency.

That mantra that you build through the draft and not free agency, which is generally true. However in this case, a trade, you aren't entering a bidding war and the pick turns into a legitimate resource.

I'm not sure about you but if Albert was there at our second pick with the stipulation of his current salary....Id take him over a roll of the dice.

26. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol yea that would be a critical loss...

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I disagree with this. Not only would it leave us thin along the Dline b/c of how Odrick spent time rotating in at defensive tackle, but you're also creating an unnecessary hole at right end and forcing us to possibly reach for a replacement and start a rookie who surely won't be as reliable in base defense as Odrick.

Odrick doesn't need to move to 3 gap DT. We drafted him as a 3-4 end which he's well suited for, and the role our right end plays in Coyle's defense is closer to that of a 3-4 end than 4-3 rush end. A lot of you keep thinking Odrick is like a fish out of water at RE as if we run a traditional 4-3 or something when we run more of a hybrid that requires a stout guy like Jared to man the position.

Look around the league and see how many teams employ 2 rush ends in base defense. More and more teams are using a 3-4 or hybrid that utilizes 3 big guys up front and only 1 pass rusher. Saying Odrick isn't adequately suited to play right end in our system is basically like saying every 3-4 team in the league needs to ditch one of their ends and stick a pass rusher there instead, which makes no sense whatsoever. It's like saying Red Bryant was out of place at end in Seattle even though he was a key to that defense, or that Ngata is a liability at end in Baltimore and should be moved inside or traded to a 4-3 defensive tackle needy team.

MrClean likes this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    LB, you apparently have no clue how we scheme up our defense or the positional requirements of our right end. None whatsoever. You're just making yourself looking foolish with comments like this.

MrClean likes this.
  29. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree with you to a certain point, but I'm not sure Odrick is so good at his job he is untouchable or someone you wouldn't move in the right deal.

texanphinatic likes this.
  30. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Picks are extremely valuable, not just for adding young talent, but young, CHEAP talent. I personally do not think Albert is worth top LT money, and he seems to want something at least close to it. I would rather sign a lower price vet for RT on 1-2 year deal, play Martin at LT and draft a backup/developer. With all the money we have spent already, it would be wise to back off a little bit imo.

Sure, that second rounder could be Pat White. Also possible Albert gets injured the first game and never plays again. "You might draft a bust" is not a great way to think about picks.

MrClean likes this.
  31. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The percentage of below average players and complete busts is higher than those who are successful. Cheap is irrelevant so long as you are under the cap and have a strong team. Not to say that you can have absolutely no cap plan because it IS a highly complex matter. What I'm saying is that a player like Wallace (Free Agency) or Albert (Possible Trade) can fit into that plan though.

I would take a proven talent and the bonus of greater draft flexibility over a second rounder. Now I do give a much greater value to my first rounder, because there I believe you have much better odds.

32. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    The only downside would be the contract we give him, which probably wont be 9/per like assumed. Even at 7-8/per, Id prefer that and a proven LT than trusting Ireland with that pick, even with the new and improved Jeff Ireland.

33. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    @mortreport

Gentlemen, you may resume your discussion about trade compensation and contract numbers.

Gunner likes this.
  34. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Guess rumors were right then. Yes? Declare that.

35. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Sowe can negotiate a deal but we can not look at him.

Yeah okay, if we are talking #'s I want a physical. I'm sure the dolphins do too.

Wouldnt be to hard to sneak him in, as long as Ross isn't running the show

36. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Any trade would be pending a physical anyway I would assume.

37. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Yeah bit if a trade would be pending on a deal, how can weake any offer without a physical.

If we didn't have to sign him to a deal fine, trade dependent on physical but working numbers before you do a physical is ludicrous to me

38. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Apparently that has never bothered him.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I can't get over a 2nd for Albert.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    You don't move Odrick unless you have his replacement locked in who can perform his role at least as good as Jared can; otherwise you're creating a huge hole at an important position on the defense. The goal of the draft should be to add quality young players to the team, not add one while taking a valuable one away.

Not to mention Starks & Soliai will be free agents so you could very well leave us with nobody worth a darn to start at DT next year if we ditch the versatile, inexpensive Odrick. On top of that we'd likely be forced to reach for his replacement this draft and start the rookie. What if the rookie doesn't work out AND we can't resign Soliai & Starks? That would leave us needing 3 starters along the defensive line, a unit that was once the team's strength. Sorry, I'm just not a fan of intentionally turning one of the team's strengths into a weakness.