1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins discussing trade for Branden Albert.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Apr 17, 2013.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    That's the kind of move that'd get Ireland lynched. Remember Columbo?

2. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    This is still a puzzling move. Assuming similar year and money contracts between Jake Long and Albert, is Albert a 2nd round pick better than Long? I don't think so.

Bpk likes this.
  3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think ability is pretty comparable.

The issues that come to play are reliability and money.

This is also assuming that Jake would have chosen Miami over STL for the same money, which I'm not certain he would.

4. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    well I'm just reacting to the news that he's visiting to take a physical, which clearly proves Miami is interested in trading for him.

True, but the interest in shelling out big bucks and a high draft pick for Albert sort of dispels the notion that we had all this faith in Martin protecting Tannehill's blindside.

Not necessarily. Gaither's only 27.

actually the reason I want to keep the pick is so we'll have as much ammo as possible to move back into the late 1st round, not because I'm excited to see what Ireland does in the 2nd round lol.

5. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    It is still a difficult move to accept simply because you will always have the "we could have payed Jake the same money and still kept the 2nd rounder" argument.

Granted we don't have all the details. Whether Jake wanted to stay; whether we are indeed trading a 2nd rounder; the possible contract we will give Albert and how it compared to the contract we were offering Jake; etc etc.

But the above argument is still valid.

6. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I initially guessed Albert was a smoke screen, but my thinking has changed.

The Dolphins have clearly made LT their top priority.

And it is clear none of the LTs they want will be available to them at 12.

If there are no starting LTs available in round 2, doesn't it make sense to trade a #2 for a starting LT?

So the question is trade a number 2 and the 12th pick to move up, or trade a number 2 for Albert, and take a player like Eifert at 12?

Would trading a 2nd to move up for Eric Fisher and drafting a 2nd tier TE be better than Albert and Eifert?

7. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    You haven't factored the possible long term/high paying contract for Albert. This is an important aspect.

8. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Someone must have pointed out her error, because the same chick was just on again with news updates, and this time she said "one of their two 2nd round picks."

smahtaz likes this.
  9. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    I wasn't ignoring it, it is a factor, as is Albert's proven NFL ability, and his age and whether Jonathan Martin could develop into a stud LT by 2014, or whether someone leaps above 12 to take Eifert....

They have the cap room in 2013.

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That's a relief. Now I can put my pitchfork back in the closet.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

McKinnie is not Colombo. McKinnie is still playing well. He'd be cheap, cost no draft picks, and allow Martin another year to develop.
    Last year, when the Ravens inserted McKinnie into the lineup, moved Oher to RT, and Osemele to LG, is when their OL really jelled.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

My question is, why do they want him to change positions.

Think it through. As you said, they are in a bad situation. But that situation disappears if they simply keep him at LT.

Is this purely about the money? I see it as a money for production value issue. They see him as being worth RT money, not LT money.

Another question... What would KC do if Albert suddenly came out and said "I'd like to stay and play Right Tackle"?

13. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    Interesting point of view:

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    I'd wait until the last minute when KC is desperate, and offer two picks next draft.

Ireland needs all his picks this draft to even be there next draft.

15. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    I'd be on board with McKinnie. Would probably also sign Winston. Let those two guys and Martin compete for the 2 starting spots.

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
  18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Prepare for this kind of draft:

1- Trade down: Tank Carradine DE
    1- Trade up: DJ Hayden CB
    2- Matt Elam FS
    3- Giovani Bernard (slight trade up using fifth and early 3rd) RB
    3- Stedman Bailey WR
    4- BPA

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You say it like that isn't a good draft.

20. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    To be fair, I could live with that no problem...

21. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    It's a great draft.

22. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Yeah but you are also reacting like you know what we are giving up for him. The contract and draft resources are still a mystery. Jonathan Martin was drafted to play RT, the projection of him at LT was a result of both free agency and the draft not being over with, and the departure of Jake Long. The goal would of course would be to trade back in the first round to get the second rounder back, better value. And I was wrong on Gaither, maybe someone can enlighten us. I hate typing these damn posts on my phone.

23. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Highly unlikely. Hes leaving KC. Just a matter of 'to whom' imo. And the fact Miami are the only team that KC has given permission to talk contract and physical says we are in the driving seat. Im just disappointed that Martin is deemed to be a non starter at LT straight off the bat before Draft and training camp. I hope he takes it personally and proves a point. He was a rookie last season. Maybe im wrong but i'd like to see him make a point and prove the doubters wrong.

24. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I agree. I also think that at this stage of their careers, Albert is a better LT than Long. If the Dolphins can get him for a second round pick and for a reasonable price, I think he will turn out to be a better pickup than any player the Dolphins could possibly get in the second round of this years draft.

I would rather the Dolphins get Fisher or Joeckel for the LT position but that isn't going to happen at pick #12. Albert is a proven NFL player and the Dolphins have a definite huge need at the LT position. I hope the Chiefs and Ireland can work out a trade before the draft.

25. CANDolphan

CANDolphan Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2012
    @ProFootballTalk
    Contrary to a report, Andy Reid says the Chiefs did not give the Dolphins permission to talk to Branden Albert

26. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    This just got less serious. LOL.

CaribPhin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  27. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    That's a textbook false dilemma. Miami had to make a decision on Jake Long before they even knew that Albert was available for a 2nd round selection.

The proper question would be: Are you likely to draft a tackle in the 2nd round who's even remotely as good as Albert is? And the answer to that question is a resounding "no". Now, you could certainly argue that you don't want to pay the dude X amount of dollars, but considering that a) it's not your money and b) it's not going to put Miami anywhere close to even sniffing at cap hell, I'm not really sure what exactly the issue is.

unluckyluciano and smahtaz like this.
  28. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I guess it is in the Chiefs best interest to say that, and for the Dolphins not to say anything

29. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    Not all tackles are created equal, and they aren't all good at the same things. This isn't Madden. These guys don't just have a set rating. They have strengths and weaknesses and different styles of play

To me, the talk of a trade is a sincere indication that Jake was not going to be part of the plan going forward because he was a poor scheme fit. Obviously we were willing to pay for for his talent at a discount, but he clearly wasn't going to be the ideal fit for the offense going forward. If they do pull the trigger on a trade on Albert, it will mean that Philbin has outlined what he wants in a LT, and Ireland sees it in Albert. Clearly they did not see it in Jake Long.

Finally we're going in the right direction, so why should we settle for guys who don't quite fit just because they win popularity contests, or because they were drafted high? If Albert is going to help us succeed in the scheme Philbin wants to run, then go get him.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  30. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    This is becoming a joke.

31. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They gave permission, Reid can say all he likes.

32. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    It might be a good idea now to just step away from the laptop, put my fingers in my ears and shout "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LAAAAAAA" until the 25th if this turns out to be nothing more than the usual pre-draft gossip.

33. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007

Or maybe he was so banged up and his performance decreased to not warrant what the Rams are paying him? ;-)
    Thats my guess.

34. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They made Jake a great offer. He decided against it so they moved onto this option. They've been trying to create leverage by talking about the draft and moving up or down to get this tackle or that tackle. This draft has always been Ireland's attempt to flood the team with talent.

Expect a trade down from 12 to recoup the pick.

In other news, now is a great time to trade Randy Starks to somewhat make up for the loss of a pick for Brandon Albert. Odrick would move to the 3-gap DT position he was meant for.

35. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Martin is alright on the left side. I know he got his butt whooped a few times, but you cant win em all. No big deal. Martin deos not lose battles on the left side all the time. he is adequate and we should roll with that. get a cheap free agent at less than $5 mil for the right side like Winston and be done.

36. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Dolphins Front Office disagree. Martin isnt on the radar at LT. Tannehill has to be stood up and set to get the ball to Wallace, Dustin etc etc. If Philbin isnt happy with Martin at LT we have to go with that. Got to protect Tanny.

Phinfanjt likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How do you know any of that?

38. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    looks like not everyone in the organization is on board with trading for Albert

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/324965255207862273
    Albert Breer Verified account
    @AlbertBreer

I'll also say that I hardly think there's a consensus in the Dolphins' building that going after Branden Albert is the way to go.

39. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Any of that? Tannehill has to be upright you mean? hello? If you mean my 1st sentence then what the heck is all this press, forum and general information coming out about Albert or was i missing something? The fact there is so much conjecture about Martin playing LT and Phins possibly moving up to get the likes of Lane sort of says what the majority thoughts of fans and "experts" are. If i was Martin reading all these reports and press comments what would you think? I would think my position at LT wasnt a gimme. There are rumors and hearsay yes. Lets see.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    IMO, any talks that have occurred are preliminary and are entirely dependent on the draft. I personally don't think we'll sign/trade for anyone until after (or possibly during) the draft.

Side note: It must suck growing up a large black guy with a last name Albert, then go to a team that had all red jerseys. Hey, hey, hey.