1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Counting on Ginn to Blossom

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by greyeagl53, Aug 19, 2009.

1. greyeagl53

greyeagl53 Active Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Central Florida

http://sports.iwon.com/news/08192009/v2373.html

Ginn seems to be headed in the right direction, a little slow for some, but the right direction.

Thoughts?

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    My thought is that it hasn't really been slow at all. There are just unrealistic expectations. We should all have known it was going to take a few seasons, so lets see what he can do for us this year.

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Dont **** with Ted Ginn Jr.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I also think Pennington has helped Ginn develop, which is ironic, considering most people think the opposite due to Penny's arm strength.

alen1 likes this.
  5. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    No one hits the ground quicker than Teddy G...lol

6. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    He snagged that ball like a fatty going for the last donut, which is ironic because Ginn is no fatty.

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    And I think plays like that show that he is smart to do so. He will sacrifice his body to make the catch but not to pick up a yard or two more when it will require taking a hit.

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    In preseason, he can hit the ground as quick as he wants.

9. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I agree, I think if anything Pennington has helped Ginn rely less on his speed to get open...

dolfan7171 and alen1 like this.
  10. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I really hope so he looked impresive in the first preseason game

11. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Well except for if Pennington could throw farther Ginn would have went 97 yards for the score.

GISH likes this.
  12. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'm so sick of this stupid argument. Take on Haloti Ngata and then get back to me.

13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I said this in another thread but I'll say it here too.

Pennington CAN throw farther than that. Easily. What it looks like to me is that he tries to place the ball instead of just letting it fly. Which often results in under thrown balls.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Good point.

15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh he can throw that distance no problem maybe I should have said the farther he tries to throw the worse his accuracy is.

But to respond to what you said then why not hit Ginn in Stride? That was a sure 6 points he had a step on the defender and once caught no one is catching Ginn from behind.

Alex44 likes this.
  16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    okay, now what?

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't know why he doesn't let it rip honestly. He might be afraid to place the ball incorrectly. It kind of looks like he goes "Oh no my receiver is open deep I'd better not miss him". He knows he doesn't have a gun for an arm and maybe tries to make up for it, overcompensates.

Thats a pass I know he has the arm for, why he can't hit it I don't know. His arm strength problem isnt actual distance, its velocity. That pass requires distance which he has enough of.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Teddy Dangerous..

Interesting, have'nt seen any crow eating after monday nite...that man looked like he was playin with the defense.

Some of us have been writing for three years not to give up on this kid. especially the ones including myself that predicted him being drafted by us.. He needed to learn the game and to get his body stronger to have the confidence to compete... with his body type, this dude will not be at his full potential for another 3 years...This year he will be Teddy Dangerous, next year and the year after he will be downright lethal.

Monday night, he looked like steve smith {my favorite receiver in the NFL}, attacking his routes, sinking his head into his shoulders and cutting at full speed, with quick instinctual hands

19. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Torry Holt and Issac Bruce hit the ground just as quick.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Dj, I love TGJ, but I don't think we should be giving him nicknames after one preseason. Or say people should eat crow. He had a good game, I know, but it was preseason.

And I too expect a big season from TGJ. A really big season. My expectations may be high, but I trust TGJ to come through.

21. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'll eat crow when he shows us he can do all that with out a free pass off the line of scrimmage because so far, every time the kid faces some good press coverage, he disappears....period

Steve Smith?....u can't be serious? Steve Smith doesn't crumble to the ground as soon as he catches the ball cuz he's got no sideline to run out of bounds. He looks for the end zone first, not safety. He looks for a crease, he's not dropping to his knees like he's lookin for his wedding ring in the dirt.

Ginn is improving, but some of you are just getting carried away here. He's got a looong way to go

JS

22. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I just think we're finally starting to see the lights come on for TGJ, 2nd year in this Offense & w/Penny. It was just one preseason game, and the first one at that, but he sure looked promising out there, I am very encouraged.

23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think, since this was the first chance for me to see Ginn in action this season/offseason, I'm a believer that he's going to turn the corner this year and the Ted Ginn family will finally become the WR we expected.

I was flabbergasted by his quickness, his physique, and as usual, his speed. He was getting off the LOS and creating separation like a WR should. I've heard reports that he spent extra time in the weight room and working on his route running and those things, but to see him, IMHO, he looked like a completely different guy out there...did you see those guns?? He's rivaling Ronnie Brown for best set of guns now... Last year, I thought he'd seen the light about 2/3s the way thru the season, but so far, this year he seems to be at another level...

djphinfan likes this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Ginn has NEVER shyed from contact while he was in bounds. Tried to avoid a tackle and been tripped? For sure.

You're making it seem like he did this:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/blduck.gif

or this

http://www.bnbathletics.com/images/lloyd-flop.gif

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  25. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    speaking of getting carried away........... I would say you could use some perspective as well.

26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Ive heard the comparisons before to smith, but never saw it myself...but monday nite i did a little, i think with ted its going to be alot about the developement of his body, as it grows, gets stronger, and becomes more dense, he will ascend.

When i made the comparison to smith, i meant just the way he completely attacked the route with aggression, the breaks at full speed were similar, as this player gets stronger, those attacks and cuts will become even more violent...

Of course hes got a long way to go before he smells the presense of a steve smith, but there is reason to be very excited about the 23 year old player.

27. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Raffie, i gave him the nickname when i said we were gonna draft him 3 years ago....

Iam tellin you brother, get excited about this player...preseason or not, i saw things in the player that were dynamic, and strong, which is the word that ive been talking about for 3 years...once his body catches up,its over.

Anonymous and BuckeyeKing like this.
  28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

While I am happy to see Ginn has improved, especially in the area of route running and adjusting to the ball....he's going to have to show us that he can do the things you mention with a solid press coverage in his face. Monday night he enjoyed a free release off the line all night. Which makes a big difference....

Personally I would be thrilled to see Ginn pan out and solidy himself as the #1 WR. If for no other reason than we won't have to spend big money or a high draft pick on a new candidate for the position.

We should know sometime after mid-season I think...

29. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    We all have a different outlook on players and their abilities but I didn't see any Steve Smith in Ted Ginn on Monday. I'm not saying he ever will be at Smith's level but as of right now, I don't see it. I actually think Steve Smith's game is underrated because I think his overall game is incredibly good. His ball skills, on-field awareness, upper body strength, vision with the ball in his hands and aggressiveness are arguably the best in the league or near the top. When I watched Ginn on Monday night, I saw more Chad Johnson than Steve Smith honestly. That first catch over the middle that he made, the way he ran the route reminded me a lot of Chad Johnson.

I think its tough to jam Ginn at the line. The only way I would consider doing that is if I have coverage rolled over in my direction. His first step is quick so its difficult to jam him. If you miss him at the line, he's down the sideline for six.

Kanye West likes this.
  30. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I agree with Alen it is going to be hard to jam Ted Ginn on the line his first step is so fast. The best way to cover Ted Ginn is to give him some space. If you play up on him he is going to blow right by you.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    when people have said that in the past, i use to get confused as to what the heck they were seeing, in no way do i see ted gin as steve smith, i said i saw a little smith in him in terms of the way he attacked his routes and broke at full speed, thats it, that where the comparisons end.

Steve smith is my favorite receiver in the league, pound for pound, the most talented player in the league..

All that being said, Ted ginn has the talent to become his own man..and as his body continues to develope, and get stronger, very explosive...steve smith explosive? not yet anyway.

32. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I disagree with Alen and you brother, If you take a player with that kind of speed, who starts to find his confidence in his route running, starts to run routes at max speed, with no hesitation in his cuts, then you have no chance predicting where his hips are gonna go. to much guess work

Iam sure there are many corners that will want to get their hands on him at the LOS, slow him down, start out in his hip pocket, and trail from a slow to full speed chase..

Kanye West likes this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you play zone with outside leverage, I think you can slow him down some.

I'm sure there are. I simply said that if you're going to do that, I'd have coverage rolled over my way, kind of like a Tampa 2.

Gotcha brother, sorry for the misinterpretation. :up: