1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins @ Cardinals: Quick Hits

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vengeful Odin, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    First of all, let me just say what a tough game to watch, as a fan of this team. 31-10, ugh. The game was pretty hard to watch, all the way around. Regardless, let's try to find that silver lining and look at what went right (and more often what went wrong) for the Dolphins out in the desert.

What I Liked

Answer: Not much. It's hard to find anything meaningful that came out of this blowout. Nevertheless, there was one thing that made the game somewhat exciting to watch.
    • Glimpses of the Future - I liked that Chad Henne came into the game and led the team to a TD, even if it was in garbage time. I thought Henne displayed good decision making skills and a cannon arm. There were a couple of miscues with the receivers, but overall it was a nice drive and Henne lived up to his billing. Good to see him in the game in a "live fire" scenario. I'd say Henne is one of the few players who have looked as good in the regular season as he did in the preseason.

What I didn't Like

There was plenty to not like about this game. Take your pick, and you're probably right. Here are the ones that stood out for me:
    • Defensive Schemes - Someone explain to me how you put Akin Ayodele on All Pro WR Anquan Boldin. Terrible scheme on that play, and it was a trend that would continue throughout the day. A lot of the failure is on the players, but at some point you have to question the calls that are being made out on the field. For those of you that don't think Boldin is a #1 receiver, I've got some game tape to show you.
    • Secondary Play - I can blame the first Boldin TD on the scheme, but our Safeties and Cornerbacks played poorly throughout the afternoon. Whiffing on tackles, giving up large chunks of yardage. Even the normally reliable Will Allen made some mistakes out there today. It was an ugly day for the team, with Warner racking up over 350 yards and 3 TDs before exiting the game early. I'm extremely concerned that, after a Chris Crocker injury, it was Renaldo Hill checking into the game, and not Jason Allen. I don't know what is up with Allen, I don't get to see Dolphins practice, but his lack of meaningful playing time is extremely disconcerting.
    • Anemic Running Game - I don't know what has happened, but the running game, assumed to be strength of this team, has simply not existed the first two games of the season. I thought Arizona would serve as a "get well" game for this team, but that was not the case. The vaunted tandem of Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown combined for 22 carries and a paltry 53 yards. That works out to a pathetic 2.4 YPC rate. Those kind of stats simply aren't going to get it done. We've got to be able to consistently get at least 75 - 100 yards out of this duo in order to be competitive. I did like the second effort I saw out of Ronnie today, as he seemed to get stronger as the game went on. I'd like to see Sparano shake it up and give Brown the early carries next week, as it seems he needs that time to get warmed up.
    • Wide Receivers Still AWOL - Another week, another awful outing for "The Worst Wide Receivers In The NFL" (© Miami Dolphins WRs, 2008). The lack of a productive Wide Receiver is absolutely crippling the offense. It's allowing teams to key on the running game, because there is no respect for the Miami WR core. Can't argue with the strategy. In review, Hagan made his customary drop of an easy pass, Camarillo was average, Wilford was active and failed to catch a pass, and the raw Bess made a few plays. We'll get to Ginn later.

Standout Players

• Chad Henne - Henne looked good in mop-up duty moonlighting as our quarterback of the future. That doesn't mean we hand him the reigns next week, but it's nice to see a drafted QB playing well in relief duty. I may be overreacting, and I hate to say it, but Henne's improving play will probably spell the end of the Beck era in Miami.
    • Ronnie Brown - As I alluded to above, I believe Ronnie should be starting. Now. Next Week. Going forward. We resigned Ricky, and that's all well and good. But we need to be using Ricky as the change of pace back, and Ronnie as the workhorse, not vice versa. Brown's stats aren't much to sneeze at (13 touches, 34 total yards), but he played his heart out there - and deserves to be commended for not quitting. I don't know why we ran to the right so much today, but I'm hoping we make an effort to just bang it up behind Jake Long and Justin Smiley against the Patriots next week.

Invisible Players

You could make the argument that the entire team was invisible today. For the most part, I'd agree with you. There were a few players who, in a bad game, failed to do anything of note, and deserve to be called out. Here are today's Invisible Players:
    • Samson Satele - I love Satele (just check my avatar), and as a fan of the dude's play, if anyone is going to call him out for it I feel like it should be me. It looks to me like Satele has regressed. He's having immense trouble at the point of attack, and getting driven backwards by bigger and stronger nose tackles. I don't know if the plan was to have Donald Thomas help him, and that's part of what happened today, but Samson spent most of the game getting blown up. I expected a lot out of him this year, but so far his play has been average at best.
    • Ted Ginn Jr. - I don't know what Ginn Jr. did to not play today, but failing to make an impact until there is 6 minutes left in the game is not good. Part of that is coaching - there are ways to get him the ball, but part of it has to be the player too. The fact that he was not out there for KR or PR duties concerns me as well. Coming out, we all knew that Teddy would be a work in progress, but it's disappointing that he has not made any plays in the first 2 games of his sophomore campaign. I know folks are going to label him a bust, but I still think it's a little early for that label. However, a few more afternoons like this, and I may change my opinion.
    • Joey Porter - Did Porter even play today? With Fitzgerald and Boldin owning the Dolphins secondary, it was up to our front seven to put some pressure on Warner to help take some pressure off of them. As one of our "big name" players, I expected to see Porter make some plays. I don't even recall his name being called.

Overall Thoughts

What a difference a week makes. For a team that showed such signs of life against New York last week, it was disenheartening to see such sloppy play today. We were awful in pretty much all phases and areas of the game today. It's obvious, after two weeks, that this team is very much a "work in progress," and that we have a long way to go before we are competitive again. We're going to be challenged next week facing the Brady-less Patriots, and we've got the Bye the following week. That said, I'm not quite ready to hit the Panic Button yet. We were competitive against the Jets, and played poorly today. With such a new team, that's bound to happen. It's a 16 game season, so we just have to stay positive.

Tone_E, YBFM, alen1 and 3 others like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    On the positives, I thought that the Special Teams looked good out there. I liked what they did. Fields pinned the AZ offense inside their own ten three times, including once at the three. Ronnie Brown also looked strong out there. He didn't impress too much running the ball but he looked for contact and made a couple plays.

On the negatives, I agree about the defensive scheme. I don't know why you would run a Cover Zero against a team that has outside weapons. Especially since our secondary has a lot of trouble. I think you have to respect their deep ball and they clearly did not in that play, which is why they got beat.

I think we have to get Ronnie Brown the ball more. We have a good record when he touches the ball 20 times. I know there aren't always holes to run through but he has exceptional hands for a RB and they should be used effectively.

Ted Ginn and Jason Allen. What to say about them. Not much positives really. I think its still early for Ginn to be labeled anything but he definitely needs to improve his game. He didn't get much looks this game, he was actually out of the game for a long period. I think that his future in Miami is cloudy. I think Allen is a goner. I really do. I hate to say it and I'm not trying to overreact but when I saw Renaldo HIll come in for the injured Crocker, it really showed me how highly they think of him.

I don't know what it is with Satele this season. I understood the struggles in week one because he has trouble with bigger DT and NT's. But against Dockett, whose 285 pounds and rougly 60 pounds lighter than Jenkins. I thought he would do a much better job against him. Dockett is a good player though so I have to give him credit. I think the Cardinals front four could surprise some people.

About Porter, I saw him once. That one time was when the referee called a facemask at the goalline and it wasn't even his fault. It was Langford's.

Overall, we are a rebuilding team that will be a process and will need some patience from their fans. Like I said in another thread, the Cardinals strengths were at our weaknesses and it showed.

gafinfan and Vengeful Odin like this.
  3. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    porter was non existant, the penalty doesn't matter.

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I swear, I see a lot of Camcam in Sparano...these questionable personnel moves are driving me up a wall...for example...I think we all could see during the preseason that Jason Allen was the best safety, yet Crocker still is in there...I think Ginn showed what he can do in the preseason and he hasn't been thrown to much and yesterday wasn't even in there. Ginn is by far our best returner and still Bess is in there. The revolving door at WR has to stop...put two guys out there, decide on the third and stick with it...Why (of course we are all asking the same question) isn't Brown getting more touches. He's clearly our best RB, not that Williams is a slouch, but Brown is a guy that has to get 20-30 touches of the ball to be fullly utilized...

And the OL...that 'much improved' OL is as bad as the last few years. Satele, as you mentioned has regressed to a liability, they must be afraid to run to the left because they don't even try to and although I realize that Thomas was supposed to be the RG, they certainly haven't found a replacement for him...There are too many questionable personnel moves...the staff is acting like it's still preseason and they're figuring out the lineups each week...This team needs more continuity and they aren't getting it from Sparano...Bill...time to step in and correct this..

5. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    On Satele, I want to see how he handles playing against a 4-3 before I deem him a failure. Through two games though, I'm very concerned. It was clear watching the game that a major component of the Cards front 7 defensive scheme involved attacking the C/RG spot via stunts and blitzes. I'd say it was a successful strategy.

I think Satele is hurt by the absence of Donald Thomas, because his strength isn't brute force at the point of attack. He needs help in that area. He's more of a finesse, pulling upfield type center.

6. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Completely agree. I see a lot of Cam's "fall forward" in Sparano telling the media he is still in the evaluation stage. That doesn't say much about his ability to evaluate talent.

Put J. Allen in the damn game, he was all over the field in the pre season. Get Ted Ginn the ball, SOMEHOW, PR, KR, whatever. This can't be entirely Ted's fault. I'd love to see the coach's cam of the game, to see exactly what routes hes running WHEN he is in the game. If any of them go further than 20 yards, its not even worth running the route.

EDIT: As for Porter, we don’t even know if he’s 100%. Trust me, I have back problems and play sports (hockey), and when the back acts up, you really can’t play anywhere near 100%. I’m holding judgment on Porter for that reason alone, and only because I have personal experience.

7. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    While I agree that some of the personnel moves are questionable, I didn't see what you guys are talking about in terms of J. Allen being better than Crocker.

Allen looked just as lost as Crocker out there yesterday and missed a couple big tackles especially on his overpursue on the 3rd and 7. He's clearly proving why he's a backup.

And the one aspect of the defense I can't fault yesterday is the D-Line and J. Porter. It's nearly impossible for ANY team to generate a pass rush on those quick 3-step drop/quick passes that Arizona was running. Warner held onto the ball for just a second or two before getting rid of it. The problem was our secondary just couldn't cover anyone. The few times Warner held the ball on a 5-step drop we collapsed the pocket and put pressure.

8. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm in pretty much complete agreement on the Allen vs. Crocker argument. Our entire secondary pretty much looked terrible yesterday. If we can't stop 3 step drop passes, we're in pretty bad shape. Several times during the game yesterday the announce crew stated "it shouldn't be this easy in the NFL."

The other concerning part is that 2 #1 draft picks and a #2 draft pick (Allen, Ginn, and Satele) have all either regressed or nearly disappeared. That's not good.

9. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    Out of those three, I'm least concerned with Satele. I think he'll be ok, especially with Sparano as the coach.

J. Allen, I've pretty much accepted the fact that he'll never amount to anything more than a backup or sub-par starter. He's been given many chances and just can't grasp it.

Ginn is the biggest disappointment for me. He was our preseason #1, and looks like he's being demoted to #3 or #4. He's not even on the field for KR or PR. His confidence by the bye week will be all but shot. A #9 overall pick...:sad: