Dolphins announce they will be staying inside for anthem

255 replies

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 03:06 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Looking at an historical perspective, real change only happens with fire and blood.

I would rather it happen peacefully

No. MLK would be ashamed of that attitude. Real change happened in the 60s through PEACEFUL protests. He and those who supported civil rights shamed the racists by the courage of their convictions, by risking their lives and their livelihoods and not fighting back when they were attacked. THEY didn't burn down cities. The ones who burned down cities and rioted in the streets set back their cause.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 03:12 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

No. MLK would be ashamed of that attitude. Real change happened in the 60s through PEACEFUL protests. He and those who supported civil rights shamed the racists by the courage of their convictions, by risking their lives and their livelihoods and not fighting back when they were attacked. THEY didn't burn down cities. The ones who burned down cities and rioted in the streets set back their cause.

Learn real history

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 03:21 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Learn real history

I lived through real history. You shouldn't believe the propaganda you've been presented with by those with agenda.

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 04:10 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Learn real history

Unless you're willing to point out what "real" history someone is supposed to be learning your comment is more of an insult than anything else.

Please let's try to keep this as productive as possible.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 04:23 PM

"Galant wrote:

Unless you're willing to point out what "real" history someone is supposed to be learning your comment is more of an insult than anything else.

Please let's try to keep this as productive as possible.

I would contend that "MLK would be disappointed in you." is more of an insult than anything else.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 04:26 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I would contend that "MLK would be disappointed in you." is more of an insult than anything else.

Let's not get side-tracked. The point is that there was no frame of reference in your post. It would be helpful if there were. That's all.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 04:28 PM

"Galant wrote:

Let's not get side-tracked. The point is that there was no frame of reference in your post. It would be helpful if there were. That's all.

You are in the wrong Galant.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 04:29 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

I would contend that "MLK would be disappointed in you." is more of an insult than anything else.

ROFL! Okay, then I'll rephrase it. MLK would be disappointed to hear you talk that way, considering he risked and ultimately sacrificed his life in dedication to that cause.

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 06:45 PM

They should have stayed inside until the end of the game.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Sep 13, 2020, 07:07 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Yep. The cause of changing policies based on decades-old racist assumptions is a good one, but the martyrs they've chosen are not good ones. If the riots had started over Breonna Taylor, I would be able to summon a bit more outrage. Her name has been taken up subsequently, but initially, it all started and then was reignited over a pair of habitual criminals who both should have been in jail.

Past transgressions don't justify being KILLED by police officers. People make mistakes and are capable of change. Yes, it would be a cause for concern if you're a police officer and heighten your awareness, but it doesn't mean you shoot someone 6 or 7 times in the back nor does it justify it in any way, so I'm not sure why people try using that, or try to mitigate these victims as "martyrs". That's not focusing on the actual issue here, the actual issue here is how and why they were killed, not things that happened several years prior unrelated to the incident at hand. That's just enabling the murderers.

These riots and messages are long overdue. Quite frankly it should have happened years and years and years ago because peaceful demonstrations don't work when you're the minority of the power struggle. Honestly, it's that stance that enables the systemic problem to persist and really prompts the need for these messages and protests. I don't care what they've done in the past; any criminal record at all doesn't justify their MURDER for an unrelated incident.

As for the Dolphins; I'm glad they're doing what they're doing. I doubt it leads to any changes because I don't believe the system wants, or will allow it to change within the so called united states of america and to me, trying to diminish these individuals as "martyr's" as it's been put here shows that IMO because its trying to diminish the actual issue at hand here, by looking the other way and pointing elsewhere. You don't have to be a saint or perfect to be a victim. I think teams decision, and the decision of athletes in general is because of how noticeable their platform is. It reaches a massive audience to try and draw attention to an issue that continues to be ignored by those who can change it. I hope they continue to do so across all major league sports until some change happens. I dont care who it inconveniences or upsets.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:24 PM

"brandon27 wrote:

Past transgressions don't justify being KILLED by police officers. People make mistakes and are capable of change. Yes, it would be a cause for concern if you're a police officer and heighten your awareness, but it doesn't mean you shoot someone 6 or 7 times in the back nor does it justify it in any way, so I'm not sure why people try using that, or try to mitigate these victims as "martyrs".

Maybe because they're painting MURALS of George Floyd in cities? Maybe because the NFL and NBA players are putting Jacob Blake's name on their jerseys? It's fine to say that the shooting of Blake wasn't justified, although I don't agree with you, but it's quite another to have Kamala freaking Harris tell the rapist that she's PROUD of him. Proud of him for what? Being a criminal? Raping his ex-girlfriend? Being stupid enough to ignore orders from the cops?

Yeah, they ARE being treated as martyrs, and if you refuse to accept that, perhaps you should take a good look at what's going on.

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Sep 13, 2020, 07:38 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Maybe because they're painting MURALS of George Floyd in cities? Maybe because the NFL and NBA players are putting Jacob Blake's name on their jerseys? It's fine to say that the shooting of Blake wasn't justified, although I don't agree with you, but it's quite another to have Kamala freaking Harris tell the rapist that she's PROUD of him. Proud of him for what? Being a criminal? Raping his ex-girlfriend? Being stupid enough to ignore orders from the cops?

Yeah, they ARE being treated as martyrs, and if you refuse to accept that, perhaps you should take a good look at what's going on.

Yeah, we'll leave it at that. Thanks. :rolleyes:


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:44 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Maybe because they're painting MURALS of George Floyd in cities? Maybe because the NFL and NBA players are putting Jacob Blake's name on their jerseys? It's fine to say that the shooting of Blake wasn't justified, although I don't agree with you, but it's quite another to have Kamala freaking Harris tell the rapist that she's PROUD of him. Proud of him for what? Being a criminal? Raping his ex-girlfriend? Being stupid enough to ignore orders from the cops?

Yeah, they ARE being treated as martyrs, and if you refuse to accept that, perhaps you should take a good look at what's going on.

They are not being treated as martyrs, they are being treated as avatars. They are not being looked at as saints or people who died for a cause. They died because of something and they see themselves in those people.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:44 PM

"brandon27 wrote:

Yeah, we'll leave it at that. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Too bad. I'd have been interested in seeing how you could defend that sort of lionization of violent criminals who had both victimized innocent women.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:45 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

They are not being treated as martyrs, they are being treated as avatars. They are not being looked at as saints or people who died for a cause. They died because of something and they see themselves in those people.

Kamala Harris, the woman who is running for VICE PRESIDENT, told Jacob Blake (who isn't dead by the way) that she was PROUD of him. Freaking justify that. I dare you.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:48 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

ROFL! Okay, then I'll rephrase it. MLK would be disappointed to hear you talk that way, considering he risked and ultimately sacrificed his life in dedication to that cause.

Well he wouldn't if you actually learned about the real MLK and not the one that was displayed media and history books.

Also to say that MLK would be disappointed also is negating the blood and fire done by the state. Even if MLK was completely for non violence, which he wasn't, then the violence done by the state still counts as change is done by violence.

State propaganda wants to elevate the "non-violence" type of protests because those ones are easiest to ignore and don't cause much damage.

Also, MLK was killed, so, also his blood was drawn for change.

Also, the media at the time portrayed MLK as a person who caused a lot of riots and damage and fire and blood. Like they are doing now. More things change, the more things stay the same.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 07:53 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Kamala Harris, the woman who is running for VICE PRESIDENT, told Jacob Blake (who isn't dead by the way) that she was PROUD of him. Freaking justify that. I dare you.

She is proud of him for working through his pain.

In context, you are making a HUGE deal out of nothing.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:01 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

She is proud of him for working through his pain.

Wonder why she hasn't gone and told the woman he raped how proud she is of her for working through her pain.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:02 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Well he wouldn't if you actually learned about the real MLK and not the one that was displayed media and history books.

Oh, my bad. Did you meet him? Did you talk to him? No? Then you're getting all your information second or third hand from books and reports as well, aren't you? And you think the ones YOU read are correct and the ones everyone ELSE read are incorrect because...? Because you agree with them, right?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:02 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Wonder why she hasn't gone and told the woman he raped how proud she is of her for working through her pain.

Was she at the hospital at the time?

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:03 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Oh, my bad. Did you meet him? Did you talk to him? No? Then you're getting all your information second or third hand from books and reports as well, aren't you? And you think the ones YOU read are correct and the ones everyone ELSE read are incorrect because...? Because you agree with them, right?

Now you are just spouting nonsense.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:04 PM

I'm against police violence but for violence against rapists under any circumstances so I'm conflicted and I'll just watch the chaos.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:07 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Now you are just spouting nonsense.

ROFL! Am I? It's nonsense to ask why the books YOU read and believe are accurate and the accounts of others are not? That's nonsense? No, that's FUNDAMENTAL to determining the facts of the matter. Cite your sources and defend them. The fact you won't speaks volumes.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:08 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Was she at the hospital at the time?

Oh, so Harris just happened to be at the hospital where Blake was? She didn't make a special trip to see him?

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Sep 13, 2020, 08:10 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

ROFL! Am I? It's nonsense to ask why the books YOU read and believe are accurate and the accounts of others are not? That's nonsense? No, that's FUNDAMENTAL to determining the facts of the matter. Cite your sources and defend them. The fact you won't speaks volumes.

You are asking questions. Giving me an answer to those questions. Making assumptions. Then answering the assumption.

Nonsense.

You never even asked for sources or given sources. I had to look up your Kamala claim. Don't ask for something you aren't providing. Or does that not speak volumes?

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty