1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins aim to tackle woes on run defense and in red zone./ Post Game Vids

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-folo-0915-20150914-story.html

2. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I've been looking at some interesting stats over the last week and it's become clear to me that what Miami needs in order to make the Play-offs and eventually win a Super Bowl starts with a much-improved run defense. There are a few other things, but it's clear that if Miami doesn't take it's 24th ranked run defense and turn it into something in the top-15 or top-10, it just won't be a legitimate threat.

The rankings just don't indicate there's an issue with the passing game, running or pass defense. This season will come down to stopping the run.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    It sounds like Lazor is saying this isn't one of Tannehill's worst games from an accuracy standpoint.

It's not just that he was inaccurate, it's the plays he was inaccurate really inaccurate on...two missed TDs and missing a wide-open Landry with a little over 5 minutes to go, followed by a batted down ball. I also thought several of his completions were poor throws b/c the receivers had to turn their bodies to make catches including the one Matthews dropped. Should have caught it, but probably wouldn't have been dropped with good placement.

And Lazor thinks this isn't one of his worst, interesting.

For me, this was a very disappointing game b/c I believed the hype in the preseason that Tannehill took a big step forward. Could be this is just where Tannehill peaks?

dolphin25 likes this.
  4. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    Offense is definitely an issue. I would say a bigger one than the defense. In the second half of the season last year Miami scored 16 points or less in four games. Only scored 7 points on 6 drives (I think it was 6) of game 3 in the preseason with the first team and now only 10 points offensively against a below-average defense does not bode well for making the playoffs. Particularly since Miami will be playing the Jets, Bills and Patriots 6 games.

In fact, the defense in all 15 games remaining gave up fewer ppg than the Redskins did last year.

dolphin25 likes this.
  5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Tannehill's 1st 3 games last year were much worse than this one.

6. AdamC13

May 3, 2010
    I do recall his starting job being on the line if he didn't perform well against Oakland.

7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I suspect this team/roster is predicated on the offense scoring lots of points forcing opponents into abandoning the run and playing into the D's strengths.

That is why those missed Td throws hurt the team overall

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    This is why you don't put any faith in preseason.

9. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I Agree. Offense needs to start scoring more so the defense can in it's ears back. Cannot continue to let these inferior teams stay close.

Finster likes this.
  10. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Which sort of goes against the whole philosphy of "taking their time in the huddle" in order to rest the defensive players. If they want to play with the lead, I think they should just go all out like Philly, screw it if the defense gets tired, they'll at least be able to pin their ears back and attack the QB.