Dolphins acquire Jaguars DT Tony McDaniels

86 replies

PHphinman13New MemberOP
Mar 19, 2009, 06:19 PM

I received a text on this from ESPN. The compensation is reported to be a 7th round pick this year. This has not been confirmed anywhere else yet.

Here is his bio. 6-7 310 pounds. He is 24 years old

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10031

SilverphinSilverphinForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:21 PM

I like the numbers on this guy.

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:22 PM

6-7 310?!?! jesus hes thin.....

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Mar 19, 2009, 06:23 PM

For one of our three 7th's Ill take a big dude like that!

Mar 19, 2009, 06:26 PM

More depth on the defensive line.

wpgfishfanwpgfishfanNew Member
Mar 19, 2009, 06:27 PM

Well after 15 years Bettman lets hockey come back to Winnipeg. Thanks for wasting 15 years

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 19, 2009, 06:29 PM

I tried to find his combine numbers at Draftscout and came up dry.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:32 PM

well, now that we've given (rumored) a 7th round pick for the guy, he now must out performer Davone Bess. Sparano can just look at him and say, "why did we give a 7th for you again?" Then he can point to Bess and say, "We got that guy for free. You've got some catching up to do."

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Mar 19, 2009, 06:35 PM

Gish, if Coach has to do that, we got the wrong guy.

GARDENHEADGARDENHEADSupporter
Mar 19, 2009, 06:36 PM

Give the dude some cheeseburgers with extra mayo, smack him on the ass, and tell him to go out and clog up the middle!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tanking is like taking a Greyhound bus cross-country. Sure, it may eventually get you where you want to go, but it’s messy and unpleasant and uncomfortable, it stinks, the entire time you’ll be wishing you weren’t there, and not everybody along for the ride is going to make it to the end. - Quote stolen from Deadspin

brandon27brandon27Supporter
Mar 19, 2009, 06:37 PM

Interesting... probably nothing more than a depth move here. I cant seem to find much info out there on this guy. So, who knows really I guess.


1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!

DisgustipateDisgustipateSupporter
Mar 19, 2009, 06:39 PM

I'm doubtful it's just a rumor, 'cause I don't think anyone who would make such a thing up would go with Tony McDaniels.

This guy is probably our #4DE behind Starks, Merling, and Langford.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 19, 2009, 06:40 PM

Very strong but has little to no technique. Just tries to out muscle everyone. Jack Del Rio spoke highly of him when he came in to camp as an UDFA but it sounds like he never did learn. Its interesting because the Jaguars were going to start him after Stroud got suspended for using steroids but McDaniels got injured.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Mar 19, 2009, 06:44 PM

To me he is competition for Soliai, they had some film on him and pulled the trigger..maybe...we've all been torched before by these rumors.

Mar 19, 2009, 06:44 PM

"alen1 wrote:

Very strong but has little to no technique. Just tries to out muscle everyone. Jack Del Rio spoke highly of him when he came in to camp as an UDFA but it sounds like he never did learn. Its interesting because the Jaguars were going to start him after Stroud got suspended for using steroids but McDaniels got injured.

how did he get injured? in practice?

ALalen1New Member
Mar 19, 2009, 06:45 PM

"RickyNeverInhaled wrote:

how did he get injured? in practice?

I believe so.

"padre31 wrote:

To me he is competition for Soliai, they had some film on him and pulled the trigger..maybe...we've all been torched before by these rumors.

I'd imagine he's too tall to play NT.

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:49 PM

"cnc66 wrote:

Gish, if Coach has to do that, we got the wrong guy.

he doesnt have to. but it cant hurt to humble a guy every few minutes. :shifty:

Vengeful OdinVengeful OdinForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:52 PM

"alen1 wrote:

I'd imagine he's too tall to play NT.

I don't know ... Jason Ferguson is 6'3 ... and Kris Jenkins is 6'4. He seems a bit of a behemoth to slide out to DE, where we've got a pair of good youngsters already.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Mar 19, 2009, 06:56 PM

He is to effing tall. He is going to get abused by all undersized Linemen. Is he play 3-4 End? Does anyone have information about how explosive he is?

SICKSICKForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:57 PM

sucks we gave up a pick for a udfa

GISHGISHForum Veteran
Mar 19, 2009, 06:58 PM

"Vengeful Odin wrote:

I don't know ... Jason Ferguson is 6'3 ... and Kris Jenkins is 6'4. He seems a bit of a behemoth to slide out to DE, where we've got a pair of good youngsters already.

maybe we're switching to goalline base defense. go ahead New England and Buffalo, keep loading up on receivers. we'll just keep adding fat guys and mediocre defensive backs.

byroanbyroanAdministrator
Mar 19, 2009, 06:58 PM

Well he got a 20 from Scouts Inc.

20: Developmental Player
A player with very little film to evaluate ... A guy who might show "flashes" in the preseason but does not have any regular-season views ... He has very little experience but he has to be tracked due to his developmental potential.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 19, 2009, 07:02 PM

I'd like to think that defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers had something to do with this move. He coached in the state of Tennesee for a while and hes' familiar with the Tennessee talent pool I'd assume. He may have recruited him while he was the defensive line coach at Arkansas in '02. McDaniels I think came to Tennessee in ''02 or 03.

"Vengeful Odin wrote:

I don't know ... Jason Ferguson is 6'3 ... and Kris Jenkins is 6'4. He seems a bit of a behemoth to slide out to DE, where we've got a pair of good youngsters already.

Yeah but I think 6'7 is a bit tall. He wouldn't be able to get under the pads of blockers and wouldn't be able to get low.

cnc66cnc66Luxury Box
Mar 19, 2009, 07:06 PM

"alen1 wrote:

I'd like to think that defensive line coach Kacy Rodgers had something to do with this move. He coached in the state of Tennesee for a while and hes' familiar with the Tennessee talent pool I'd assume. He may have recruited him while he was the defensive line coach at Arkansas in '02. McDaniels I think came to Tennessee in ''02 or 03.

Yeah but I think 6'7 is a bit tall. He wouldn't be able to get under the pads of blockers and wouldn't be able to get low.

on passing downs if he was willing to take the shot he would be a serious menace to passes over the middle with a wingspan like he has.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Mar 19, 2009, 07:06 PM

Thats what I say what a stupid move.