1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins’ special teams have to be better in 2009

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 8, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
  2. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Hope we improve a lot in this area, doesn't seem like the kind of thing you can draft for. Makes me wonder who our ST coach is and what his record/background is.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    common Knowledge: Special Teams is our Achilles's Heel
    1) seems to me we have enough good players to bolster the team, spent a lot of attention in the first year on this very issue
    2) maybe the coach needs to step up or be replaced: SPECIAL TEAMS COORDINATOR: Former N.O. Saints special teams coordinator John Bonamego & ASST SPECIAL TEAMS COACH: Last year’s ST coordinator Steve Hoffman (not official, only rumored). anybody hear anything about a possible shake-up in the department?
    3) Special Teams is often the forgotten/ neglected stepchild in the game. You need to win two of the three (Offense, Defense, ST) to have a shot @ winning a game. Don't know what the problem really is but it's an old one (that goes back a decade) w/o resolution. I'm sure the Front office is on top of it
    & that we can expect a major improvement in Special Teams in 2009.

4. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    well i think part of the problem last year is we kept churning the bottom of the roster so much we could never really develop consistency on special teams. That doesn't mean though that Bonamego doesn't deserve any blame. This year I think we will see improved special teams play with some of the draft picks and free agents we have picked up.

padre31 likes this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Abysmal unit, lower tier, and not much better then Armstrong's unit in 2007.

We have some players returning for a change, hopefully Cobbs and Walden and Allen can finally replace Minor, Bowens and Morris.

6. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Special teams is such an under looked aspect to football. The difference between a 30 yard and a 30 yard punt are astronomical, especially when games are close and going down to the wire. You'd rather the opposing team go 70 yards in two minutes to win rather than 60 yards. Field position is also critical for the offense, starting at the 40 is great for an offense because all you need is 30 yards to get into scoring range. Hopefully some of these rookies can come in and have a tremendous impact getting tackles and setting up block.

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    anybody have the Special Teams list?

8. AquaBlitz

AquaBlitz Active Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Apparently his name is John Bonamego. 45 years old, special teams coordinator with Jackonsville in 2002, Green Bay 2003-2005, New Orleans from 2006-2007 and Miami from 2008-???

Seems to me like this guy can't hold a job which is a bad sign.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Sundry Information:

1) the FrontOffice tried to re-create the base for Special Teams in their initial rebuilding plan in year one. Guys like Ayodele, Torbor. Anderson, were specifically picked up for this task.
    2) when will we use GinnJr? makes no sense to me to let him sit out the receiving team. he is among the very best (potentially) @ returns in the NFL
    3) drafted @ least 3 maybe 5 that are destined to help: Hartline, Folsum, Clemons, Smith & Davis
    4) other possibilities, new & old: Walden, Jason Allen. N. Jones, Armstrong, Hilliard, London, Terrius George, Chris Brown, Moses, Cobbs, Culver & Bess

Seems to me (@ 1st glance) that we have the material to work with to build an excellent ST unit.