1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins’ Henne leading QB pack

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Aug 5, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/dolphins/12269

PMZQ, TheAnswer385 and PhinsRock like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The same things were said about John Beck during last year's training camp.

Ozzy and Coral Reefer like this.
  3. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    :lol:

Yes they were.

I find it a stretch as well for this site to proclaim that Henne has "vaulted" to the front of the QB competition.

like2god, alen1 and padre31 like this.
  4. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    yeah uh they seem to fail that henne does this against the 2nd and 3rd string defenses.....

but i still think it would be hilarious if henne actually DID beat out everyone and was our Trent Edwards this year.

i mean the irony would be seriously thick.

PMZQ and Stringer Bell like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I don't get the negative reactions to articles like this. The fact that the youngest guy on the roster is playing the best is a good thing.

Disnardo, PhinsRock and ATVZ400 like this.
  6. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    well word out of the front office continues to be that no one QB has moved ahead of either of them so I would take this with a grain of salt. Just because 1 leads a scoring drive and the others do not means little. From yesterday's blog there were a few TD's that were good throws and dropped by the WR's so just scoring a td or not means little until it is all taken into account.

like2god likes this.
  7. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i wouldv'e thought that after beck had thrown some 4,000 passes this offseason that he would have a leg up on this competition but i have to say even for being only the first week of tc there have been alot of incompletions wether it be errand passes by the qb or mess ups from the reciever(iv'e read alot about it being more on the qb either throwing a little behind the wr or overthrowing/underthrowing the wr so far).
    it worries me because theres no real pressure out there by the defense...we should not be having incompletion problems in camp. man the tb game can't get here quick enough.

8. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i think beck's issues are not talent or anything, but he's just playing scared. he was beat up so bad last year i think he's hearing footsteps, as john madden would say. even during practice. he's too conservative now, hitting the check-downs and throwing picks. The greatest thing going for Henne right now is that he's a young gunslinger with no real pressure, so he's out there, loose, and just playing football. I think the most pressure is on beck, and that's why he's struggling.

signed, Omar.

unluckyluciano and HardKoreXXX like this.
  9. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i totally agree...it's like he expects to be reamed on every play almost instinctively going into "oh-crap" mode at the snap and very unconfident in the o-line. thinks he has to get rid of the ball quickly but ends up holding it too long at times and panicing.
    but my same post could be said about mcnown as well and there shouldn't be that "playing scared" feeling for mcnown..while i didn't expect mcown to be marino-esque i did expect more completions so far in t.c. maybe the finger is bothering more than he is letting on who knows as long as one can step up and become consistant im happy.

10. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    It's not a negative reaction to Henne playing well at times.
    That has nothing to do with it.

Without a doubt any positive signs from the rook is good.

The "negative reaction" is to the media and bloggers that consistently add knee jerk spin where it's not necessary.

Padre brought up a very valid point.

Henne has had his share of good pracitices which is good.
    However, this writer makes it seem Henne has been a solid performer above McCown and Beck while comments from the Phins have consistently been along the lines that no one has distanced themselves from the pack.

Add to that a list of practices where all the QB's have shown inconsistent performances and the viewpoint becomes even less valid.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd be happy texasPHINS, as long as he played well, I mean come on, us fans are looking back to Gus Frerotte with nostalgic longing for the "Good old Days of Gus"...

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  12. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    seriously.... if you would have told me in 2000-2002 that in 2008 i'd be pining for the days of Fiedler, i would have thought you were ******ed.

padre31 likes this.
  13. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I see some of your points. But there is also a very potent pro John Beck spin on this board. If there's any postive Beck news it's received with joyous posts and a never ending flow of these - :lol::lol::up::hi5::lol::yes:

Any pro Henne articles are automatically read into as a shot against John Beck and looked upon with skepticism.

Why can't we just be happy that one of the young guns, or I should say THE young gun is playing well?

schmolioot likes this.
  14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    It isn't THAT bad. We could have a bag of doornobs as QB and it would still be better than Fiedler

Kanye West, alen1 and Coral Reefer like this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is not true. The skepticism comes for years of reading "Good camp" and then the regular season becoming total crap. It has nothing to do with John Beck. Dolphin fans on this board are very jaded

padre31 likes this.
  16. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I am hoping that Chad Henne keeps this up and can start for us. I would love to see that .

17. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Thank you. The extreme pro-Beck bias of the board makes no sense to me. Sure he seems like a hard worker and a nice guy but he has done absolutely nothing worthy of such devotion. I'd love for him to step up and win the job b/c that would mean he performed best. Same with McCown or Henne (ok maybe not McCown so much)

18. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Why on earth would anyone wish for a QB like ears back?

What we should want is for the first talented QB we've had to emerge since Marino, not to go back to one of the rejects we've relied upon.

ACK! You're killing me Tex. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I said this in the Club Level, I'll gladly admit to you that I'm a fan of John Beck. I really like the guy, the character and the player. I think he has the tools to succeed in this league. But if he can't get the job done when asked to, take a seat. Let the guy who can do the job take over. I like all the Quarterbacks on the roster and I'm happy when a positive article comes out on one of them. In the end, this comes down to winning games for this team and I don't know about others but I want the best guy out there.

20. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    our bag of doorknobs we've had the last several years haven't been as good as fiedler. ;)

EDIT: and to clarify i'm not "pro-fiedler", just "anti-anything we've had since" :up:

padre31 likes this.
  21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Honestly I feel that even AJ Feeley would of done better than Fiedler. Fiedler played on some really good teams.

22. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I agree with tex here...Fiedler wasn't great, but hey we won with him.

As far as the current QB's go...I like McCown, but I would rather see one of the young QB's take control. But more importantly...I wanna win, so if McCown can deliver I'm 110% behind him.

padre31 and texasPHINSfan like this.
  23. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And then BOOM!

I agree 100%. The guy wants to prove he's not the mistake that got CamRam fired, that he's different...better.

24. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

LOL! :lol:

25. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

While I agree fiedler was no Marino, the guy has been the best Qb we've had since Marino thus far.

but this is just crazy Feeley sucks!!!!

26. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Come on Texas, Gus was much better then Jay....:hang:

27. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    fiedler did play on some good teams. but that's why i said i pine for the days of fiedler. :up:

28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    then we do agree. I pine for the days of dominating defense

29. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    and a NFL-rushing-leader o-line & running game. :up:

i still cry over 2002. :(

30. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yet he could throw a quick out. Plus he played on a team minus Ricky Williams and getting hit every 3 seconds.

31. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I agree, we are just hungry for a decent Qb, all of the pretenders have failed for us, we have had our Qb hopes dashed more times then I can count.

If McCown can play Qb, Fine with me, If Beck can play Qb fine with me, If Henne can play Qb fine with me.

But alas, we are going to suffer lumps this year and maybe next at the Qb spot.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I almost stopped watching football that year

33. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

More often than not, that quick out went to the wrong jersey. as for getting hit, he should have gotten rid of the ball sooner!!

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Most of his wrong jerseys were over the middle plays and with a lot of pressure on him.

Fielder also dominated on pick sixes. He was also a reason Miami broke the record that year.

Also a quarterback should have more than 1.5 seconds to throw the ball.

calphin likes this.
  35. Coral Reefer

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Absolutely!

This goes back to why I think so many are sensitive on the John Beck issue as well.

Again, it's not that Beck has some allegiance from any of us that are convinced he should be given the QB job.

The sensitivity is from the fact that smart fans realize that even very talented players more than not take a while to hone their skills and "catch up" to the NFL level.

I see all these people that deem Beck a failure and talk of cutting him or replacing him with Quincy Carter based simply on his rookie struggles and I absolutely cringe.

For us to have witnessed such a dry spell at the QB, I would think everyone would want to make sure that BOTH these 2 highly rated young prospects we have at QB get enough time and support to see what they bring to the table at the NFL level.

Can you imagine how crappy it would be to see the staff give up on Beck prematurely and see him go on to a team that allows him the time to become a good QB? Talk about regretable mistakes. If Henne ended up not making it as well we'd all be suicidal.

Now am I saying that I know Beck is going to become some superstar in the league? No, I'm not. What I am saying is that it's too early to determine he won't be. There are a good number of QB's that needed time to develop their talents.

2 lottery tickets are better than one.
    Which ever one wins so be it, but don't throw one of the tickets out before the drawing.

36. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, there are only so many snaps to go around though, I suspect if Beck starts and plays poorly Phinfans will storm Davie with pitchforks and torches...

And what's worse, those of us who don't have the NFL Season ticket will be forced to watch infomercials when the Dolphins are supposed to be on the local TV station...:sad:

Coral Reefer likes this.
  37. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Agreed with Coral Reefer. Even though I am not the biggest fan of Henne out of college I would give him the same treatment next year if he was going through the same growing pains

38. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA

feeley tied, then passed fiedler on the pick 6's :up:

39. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA

reefer - no one has ever "deemed" beck a failure. you've been vehemently fighting this crusade against no one. going back to that "other" thread, SCFF was simply asking why omar is getting so much flack and beck so much forgiveness. In fact SCFF said in no less than 10 posts in that thread that he supports beck and wants him to succeed.

even omar has said he hopes beck is given every opportunity and hopes he succeeds.

omar did pencil McCown as the starter before, and i think we all did when we heard they brought him in. i think too many put too much weight on that assumption and then just "tuned out" after that.

but please coral, before you do anything else... find me a post of anyone on here that "wrote beck off". :up:

and the point of my post is so we can get past all that beck crap and move on with TC/preseason. :up:

cheers!

MonstBlitz likes this.
  40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    My memory is not the best, however Feeley only had around 2 more interceptions for touchdowns. Fielder was the god of interceptions for touchdowns. If it was a pass to the outside, there was a great chance it was a pick 6. I do not know why they ever allowed him to call that play.