1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOLFANMIKE'S QB breakdown as of early March

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DOLFANMIKE, Feb 29, 2020.

1. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California

This year's draft seems to have several really good draft options at QB for teams that want to go there. Free Agency also has some nice options. Burrow, Tua, Herbert, and now Love (apparently setting the Combine process on fire and rising rapidly) all appear to be potential top 12 or better selections. To me, getting any of these 4 would more than make me happy. On top of it we'll have Fitzmagic and Rosen to compete. That's a pretty good three. I really see no need to trade up to meet our QB need. None of these guys is a lock to be "our answer" but all four offer some pretty solid traits that could make them the next Brees, Mahomey, etc...
    As a DOLFAN, it makes me really excited about this draft because when I look at all the film, all the news about risers and guys who might fall a bit, it add's up to a great draft day for us potentially. QB, OL, RB, WR, DB (not as much as the others but still good for where we pick) all look to be nice, deep positions this year.

How things are shaping up so far at QB:
    - Burrow is really solid and his interviews and handling of questions about his little hand size, about going to Cincy, etc have all been nothing short of impressive. His film is impressive and he finds a way to win games. He will be incredibly popular with fans and will understand how to be a rookie and then take over as a strong leader once he has earned it. He has already developed all that stuff that a guy like Rosen seems to be lacking in terms of leadership and charisma. He should be a lock to go #1, but the Bungles are the Bungles and they may find a way to screw the pooch yet again.

- Tua's medicals look good and it's been my belief all along that if his medicals are good then come draft day it'll be like he never got hurt at all. I'll be stunned if he doesn't go at or before 5 overall. The Tua hype train will be the most talked about story of this draft as they make lots of tv drama about who will "take the risk on Tua" (also making us the bad guy if we pass on him). He will have tons of interviews all over discussing his career at Bama and about his family, injury rehab, and how he "feels better than ever, has strengthened his muscles around his injury," etc. He's so likeable that I expect the Bungles to waver about taking Burrow and the Tua hype train may be so majestic that the Bungles take Tua... You can already see the Tua Train warming up it's engine...toot tooot toot!

- Herbert has some big interviews coming up including one with Miami. He has done everything he needed to do to secure a top 10 selection (so far). Player of the week at the Senior Bowl, then he goes on to get Senior Bowl MVP. His entire experience in that Senior Bowl process was brilliant and I doubt he lasts past the Chargers selection at 6 overall. The real question with Herbert is can he rise past Tua or somehow past Burrow? Odd's are he can't IMO BUT don't rule it out entirely. His size and physical traits are much more impressive than the top two guys and his arm strength is epic. It's his accuracy that folks are knocking him on (and his accuracy issues are related to his footwork). How high can Herbert go? He is currently pushing to take over the 2nd QB taken over Tua. If he has an amazing day throwing at the Combine (or if Tua wavers on his throwing day), and convinces teams like the Dolphins that he does have the leadership traits they are looking for, the sky is the limit for Herbert.

- Love has had scouts and GM's buzzing about him and he is one of the fastest risers of this years Combine. This is a guy that has impressive stats, size, and apparently is charming everyone over in the early combine process. Like Herbert, he is suddenly looking like he is a threat to what was a pretty solid top 5 selections. His arm strength and ability to run and pass seems to be getting a bunch of attention, but his personality is also really winning them over. The more film they watch on this guy the more impressive they feel his college career was and the more impressive his decision making seems to be. But again, the way he is carrying himself is suddenly giving teams between 5 and 12 another really solid option. If he keeps rising he could get picked before one of the previous three, my guess will be Tua (if things somehow regress for him).

I'll wrap this up by saying again - this is all good news. Don't get your heart set on one guy at 5 overall. There appears to be 4 really solid options for us and who knows, if one or two of these guys cool off we might even be able to trade back a few picks and add some more selections and still grab one of them. All this QB action early though will no doubt push some OL and RB's back, which is also great news for Miami.
    Here's another Mock Draft that I'd be pretty happy with, especially if we went RB / DB in round 2:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...-trade-dwayne-haskins-four-qbs-go-in-top-six/

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    danmarino, Sceeto and resnor like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The only bad thing about this particular mock draft is the writer has us taking Herbert 5th but cites in the synopsis of the 25th pick, After taking Tagovailoa and Wirfs...”

3. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    My guess would be it originally had us taking Tua, but probably waivered last second and switched it to Herbert without editing that part by mistake.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  4. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    "Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun Sentinel suggests that Love could be the Dolphins’ target with the fifth overall pick if Burrow and Tagovailoa are both gone before then.
    Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert has usually been named as the No. 3 quarterback on the board, but Love may be giving Herbert a run for his money."
    Love decided to forego his senior season at Utah State after throwing for 3,402 yards, with 20 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and a 61.9 percent completion rate, as a junior in 2019. His numbers don’t scream “Top 5 pick,” but some teams may think he is.
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/02/strong-combine-helps-utah-state-qb-jordan-love/

danmarino likes this.
  5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I like Love better than Herbert, but not at 5. If we can't get him at 18, or maybe trade up a couple spots to between 13-15, he's not worth picking.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Disagree. If you think the guy will be an elite QB, take him at five. Or engineer a small trade down but stay in the top 10. I don't think any of the 4 big name QBs make it past 10. This isn't the time to be cute - we have a load of picks, we don't need more picks, we need a QB. Get the QB. If we can get the QB and maintain our draft stock, even better.

7. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We do need a QB, but we won't have a pick this high again without trading up for it or dismantling the team a second time, which I doubt the owner would put up for. We should take advantage of that to get the best QB in the draft and not settle for a maybe.

8. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yes, that's why you take Love (or Herbert) at 5 if you believe in him. Waiting till 18 is not a great idea imo. However, if you are Grier and have major confidence in how you think the draft will play out and 5 is a tad rich, I'd rather try a small trade down from 5 than trying to trade UP from 18.

I can see some people looking at how the Chiefs maneuvered for Mahomes and thinking we can do that, but the Chiefs had the luxury of having a QB, and lacked the luxury of a high pick. They were forced into that maneuver by necessity rather than choice. Personally I would skip the drama and just make my QB selection at 5 or higher.

resnor likes this.