1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Mike Nolan get a second chance?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Big Red, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    With rumors flying that Tony Sparano is on the way out we could be looking for a new head coach. One of the few bright spots this season was Mike Nolan's defense. Add in the complication of the new CBA negotiations and Nolan seems a very likely choice. The players already know him so there would be a sense of continuity.

You might be thinking "didn't Nolan suck as HC in San Fran?" Yes he did. But Belichick flopped in Cleveland before succeeding with the Pats. With that in mind could Nolan be our guy? Older and wiser like Tom Coughlin or Pete Carroll?

The first thing he did when he got the job in San Fran was draft a QB. Admittedly he made a big mistake picking Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rogers but at least he took a chance. And San Fran didn't exactly have a strong GM. To give them a little credit they did subsequently draft Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, and Patrick Willis.

Pair Nolan with a strong GM (like Pioli) and get him the right QB (like Brady) and we might have the makings of a successful franchise.

What do you guys think?

2. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I like Nolan for us and if we get rid of Tony he is the guy i want as our coach.

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Promoting Nolan would be a very lazy move, IMO. Coaching is a meritocracy, not a carousel. Guys shouldn’t get turns, they should get the job because they’re the best option available. I’m not sure that Nolan is a better option than Sparano, let alone Jim Harbaugh.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    No, if the team would not stand up for Sparano, why would it stand up for Nolan?

Sorry folks, Nolan is the absolute wrong personality for being a HC....youtube him some time...he sounds like Rain Man.

However, if Nolan meant Ireland stays in place...I'm down with it.

5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I'm questioning the "defensive genius" of Mike Nolan, seeing how the Detroit Lions, a team one step up in level from the Fletcher High School Senators scored 34 points on his defense.

With me questioning his defense and seeing his past record as HC in San Francisco as a HC, I don't think he is HC material.