1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Chad Henne get tired?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jdang307, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    In discussing Henne ad nauseum in another thread, I got curious and wanted to check his situational splits.

2010 QBR

Attempts 1-Through-10 83.4
    Attempts 11-Through-20 58.9
    Attempts 21-Through-30 105.5
    Attempts 31+ 45.7

Kind of weird rollercoaster of stats there. So I went to look at quarter.

1st Quarter 81.9
    2nd Quarter 68.7
    3rd Quarter 95.6
    4th Quarter 55.6

It mirrors the attempts pretty closely. Chad henne does fairly well in the first quarter of each half (and even better in the second half) then trails off immensely.

2011 numbers are tricky. The attempts numbers are a little different.

Attempts 1-Through-10 100.8
    Attempts 11-Through-20 94.9
    Attempts 21-Through-30 56.1
    Attempts 31+ 73.6

Instead of a rollercoaster its a steady drop until 30+ when it gets a bump.

1st Quarter 118.1
    2nd Quarter 62.2
    3rd Quarter 141.5
    4th Quarter 48.7

Similar pattern but even more volatility in the peaks and troughs. 3 games is a small sample size so perhaps that volatility will be reduced later on in the year.

Not trying to guess what's going on, there are several possibilities here. I just found it interesting and curious. I went to look up his career 4th quarter stats but noticed this peculiarity. Is he getting tired? Lazy? Undisciplined the longer he goes? Fear of the clutch?

Bumrush likes this.
  2. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Good hypothetical. He was gassed on the last drive against the Patriots for sure.

3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Too tired to look up the link, but read an article earlier today saying that Henne was 15-17 in the first half, then went 4-12 in the second half.

I don't think those numbers are quite right. I remember posting his halftime stats during the game thread and I could have sworn he had thrown 19 passes in the first half.

But if mirrors what you are illustrating JDang...it does seem that Henne fades in the 4th quarter

4. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    If I had to guess, which is all we can really do... I'd guess that its not the fact he's getting tired, its the fact that the opposing teams Defense has adjusted to our offense, and we've done nothing on offense to adjust. Given the shaky coaching of this team, that would be my guess. Combined with the fact that this team, in close games seems to lack the confidence to get the job done all over the field. They haven't learned to win those close games, they haven't got the confidence to do it, whether thats due to sloppy practices, poor coaching, poor motivation, who knows really. When teams are put into clutch situations, theyve got to have the confidence in their abilities, and their schemes to get things done. We lack that. It's shown in our defensive collapses, and most recently the collapse of the offense on the last drive against Cleveland.

Just my 2 cents...

5. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I was thinking that was also a consideration,that team were adjusting to Henne, which falls on coaching and Henne. But then again, in order to believe that, we have to believe Sparano can adjust and fool opposing defenses 32 times a year (two times a game) and I just don't. I think it lies within Henne somehow.

6. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Maybe the team gets tired and his performance is a reflection of that,the O line and the D line sure have looked gassed.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I reckon the 4th qtr stats are indicative of the teams overall performance. We are generally trailing in the 4th quarter. And Chad Henne is not a good come from behind qb, apparently.

8. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    I would explain this year as he's probably just getting punished by opposing defenses all game long taking hits. But considering last years numbers, I'm not sure that consideration is relevant.

jdang307 likes this.
  9. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    I just don't think we're very good at making adjustments at all. I can't recall any game where we looked different in the 2nd half as opposed to the first. Sparano's mantra seems to be "execute it properly, and we'll win" ... well, that doesn't work if the other teams adjusts to what you're doing..

Now, if Henne has some more control at the LOS, then perhaps that responsibility falls to him on the field. Although I doubt he can essentially adjust the game plan from the huddle.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm inclined to agree with this and what Brandon similarly said.

1st Quarter 81.9
    2nd Quarter 68.7
    3rd Quarter 95.6
    4th Quarter 55.6

To me, it seems that, when we had time to plan ahead & script plays (before the game leading to the 1st quarter and during halftime to open the 3rd quarter), Henne played good and is playing great now.

However, during the 2nd & 4th quarter, where on-the-fly adjustments need to be made, we failed to successfully do so.

So it seems like when we had time to plan ahead, Henne played well, but then again he was Henning's puppet. I lay most of the blame on Henning b/c he basically assumed absolute control of the offense and play calling, giving Henne no option to make true adjustments or call plays at the line in the 2nd & 4th quarter when defenses were obviously picking up on our tendencies and/or formations. I think there was something mentioned that Henning would rather call the plays himself and have a dead play than let his QB make calls at the line. If the OC isn't making proper adjustments, then this obviously means there's likely to be more "dead plays" in the 2nd & 4th quarter, leading to a decline in passing production and efficiency.

Henning doing this also hindered Henne's hurry up and 2 minute drill (2nd qtr & 4th qtr) b/c this is a critical time of the game where the QB should be capable of doing more of his thinking, adapting, and chess playing in a way that his OC simply can not b/c the OC isn't behind the center surveying the defense prior to the ball being snapped while the pace of the offense is hastened. The QB should not be slowed down or handicapped by his OC in these situations, and he shouldn't be forced to make chicken **** out of a dead play even though every play counts. That's why I'm not surprised our offense struggled in getting 4th quarter wins..... and that's why I'm not surprised Henne has issues in the 4th qtr now because this is the first time he's had the ability to be more than just a puppet. So IMO this is a new learning experience for him, and as such it will take a little time developing. If Henning had given him some freedom last year to develop the thinking part of his game, then I don't think we some of the problems we see now. We still might see some of course, but I think Henne would be further along in this phase of the game than he currently is.

11. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    He's tired because he's running for his life.

12. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I think it was established that nobody protected their QB more last year than Miami and that Henne had a long time compared to the rest of the league. That is no excuse.

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You would :tongue2:

jdang307 likes this.
  14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You mean it was proven that we had more blockers per play than rushers. I also think rdhstlr23 was talking about this year.

steveincolorado likes this.
  15. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami
    Yes, he gets tired. He also poops. Just like the rest of us! :wink2:

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

My ex would like a word with you.

17. HenneNator

HenneNator Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    Miami
    Cool!!!

Is she hot?

steveincolorado likes this.
  18. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He had a long time? Did you watch us play? lol. He was one of the most sacked QBs in the league during the final third of our season.

And since when does having extra blockers equate to actually having sufficient time to throw compared to the rest of the league. Perhaps the rest of the league didn't need extra blockers to have the same amount of time to throw, which also means other QBs would have more receivers out on these routes.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Depends on how many beers you've had.

HenneNator likes this.
  20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think he gets tired I just think games where the Dolphins are asking him to throw 40 or 45 times in the game are not games where he nor the Dolphins have been doing well...hence the need to throw 40 to 45 times.

He's not one of those quarterbacks where if you give them 40 or 45 throws you're anxious to see the results because he should reward you with the win.

21. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Maybe he should quit the dipping during games.

22. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Not as tired as I get of watching his offense.

23. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I agree completely. But the point is, he wasn't running for his life. He had one less player to throw to, sure. That's actually a point I agree with 100%. I've been yelling that forever. It's why the Left Tackle position is so overrated. A #1 overall pick, the best LT in the game, and we still keep a guy in to help protect. That's because LT is 1/5 of a unit.

But the argument above is that he was running for his life. Im' just saying, he wasn't. He had quite a bit of time. Just not much to throw to in the end. It might have been a facetious statement above, but I just wanted to point that out.

24. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    But how do you explain being hot the 1st, not so hot the 2nd, hot again in the 3rd not so in the 4th? I can see a steady decline but these numbers are quite curious.

25. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Pressure situations, come-from-behind situations, two-minute, etc.

You need a lot more evidence than this to suggest that a pocket passer is getting tired. That's not a very common issue for QBs to face at all, let alone pocket QBs.

26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's pure speculation, but my guess is that opponents are doing a better job of adjusting than we are.

jdang307 likes this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I thought we made good in-game adjustments in 2008.

28. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The tired part was just the title. ;) In the post I did comment I have no clue what was causing it, and proceeded to list a few options. I wasn't that serious with the "tired" stuff. I was actually leaning towards pressure. Anything remotely resembling hurry up and Henne just breaks down. IMO.

29. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I want to think that as well. But to believe that, I have to believe that Sparano is good at making adjustments at all (hence 1st and 3rd Q performance).

30. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Or Daboll. I see Sparano as a grinder. He's a guy who puts in the work, but probably not one who makes quick adjustments. Every person has weaknesses. Shula didn't succeed once he lost Beathard. The people who succeed are the ones who figured out how to maximize strengths and minimize weaknesses. That's why the answer is rarely to blow it all up start over. This offseason fans wanted to dump Henne and bring in Orton. I saw it as simply bringing in more of the same. And now that we're seeing both QBs in new systems, I feel that assessment was spot on. Now I would replace Henne in a flash with a clear upgrade, but fans have a tendency to just look at the results and place all the blame or credit on one person. It's the same with Sparano. He has strengths and weaknesses. And if we replace him, we'll bring another guy in with different strengths and weaknesses. Will the result be better? Obviously it depends on the guy, but moreso I think it depends on the organization. I think our future success will depend mostly on whether Ireland has the right vision to put complementary pieces in place. IMO Ireland has a decent eye for talent, but I have been critical of how he's failed to address other needs.

jdang307 likes this.