Do you feel comfortable with this team?

103 replies

DorfdadDorfdadForum VeteranOP
Nov 27, 2023, 02:05 PM

So after 12 week or so here we are sitting with an 8-3 record and 2 solid games above the bills in the AFC East. however I’m still not comfortable with this team.

Watching teams like KC / Eagles and even Buffalo I’m not sold on us being the AFC champions.

Some here will take this as me being negative and a hater which I don’t consider to be truthful.

I love the way certain things are playing out but I’m really feeling we’re becoming more and more 1 dimensional as the year goes on.

I feel our defense isn’t good enough to win a championship currently. Do we make the playoffs this year? Yeah I think we do but not as a 1 seed.

I think we host a wildcard game and I don’t want to play Buffalo. I’m worried now with Phillips being out, I’m worried our patchwork offensive line isn’t going to handle playoff caliber defenses. I’m worried if Hill is banged up and we focus on his 2000 yards we are neglecting other aspects of the offense that needs to improve. Worried we need a change of pace RB and ours seems to be injury prone year one!

I think we’re the 4th best team right now and we don’t have long to tighten things up.

playoffs matter I don’t care about this regular season winning outside the division title.

are you all comfortable with the team as it is today going into the playoffs!

FinatikFinatikStaff
Nov 27, 2023, 02:14 PM

Lots of games still to play. Anything can happen with injuries but over all there isn't much that can be done at this point.

I saw something that said that the defense only gave up 1 TD this month. Even without him, I'm not that worried about them. In fact I think they just keep getting better and better.

The offense has enough firepower to put points on the board. It isn't always clicking at times but both sides of the ball look like they are in good shape for a run.

Note to everyone - with the title of this string if this starts to turn into a Chit Show I'm just going to lock it or delete it.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 02:28 PM

Defense is fine. It's given up 14 or less in the past four games (not counting the fumble for 6 in Germany). Three teams all season have scored more than 21 points against us and Ramsey's return has brought new energy. Defense is the least of my concerns right now.

I'm more concerned about the offense although I'm not worried about it. Tua's performance has definitely leveled off of late but thankfully, the running game seems to be making up for it. If Coach calls good games, the offense is good enough to drive against and score on anybody. And I'm confident he'll do that.

To answer your question, OP: Yeah, I'm fine. No team is perfect and we're not going to be perfect either. But I think we're solid enough on both sides of the ball to be the better team against anybody as long as we're not giving the ball away or lining up on the wrong side of the line of scrimmage.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 02:38 PM

I feel very comfortable with this team since they've beaten every opponent we were supposed to beat. Some may say that we didn't win the "big games", but that's complete crap since we're tied for having the 2nd best record in the league. Every team loses, every year, and there were extenuating circumstances in playing the Chiefs in Germany or playing the Eagles/refs in Philly. The Bills were the only ones that truly whooped us and that was simply one game.

I'm not making excuses here, mind you, because every team eventually loses. At least we stomped the inferior teams consistently, which is what ultimately gets you to the playoffs. Good teams win the games they're supposed to win.

Let's get back to beating every team we're supposed to beat...that dial has changed in recent weeks with Ramsey's return and X getting healthier. Achane will turn that dial upwards a little bit as well. The Bills still worry me because it's a division game and they know us just as well as we know them- that will always be a battle. We won't be playing anyone else in Germany or Philly anytime soon either, so those worries are gone.

We will beat Washington, the Jets, and the Titans. The Cowboys game will be competitive but we will beat them at home as well. Baltimore is a solid team putting together a great year (like us), and going to Baltimore is always scary...why are we playing there three times in a row? It will be competitive though and I think we win it. And if it plays out that way, going 5-0 down the stretch, then we may rest starters for Buffalo since that game won't matter.

I am very comfortable right now because we're better than KC, we're better than Jax, and we're better than Baltimore. Heck, we're better than Philly on a neutral field. There's not a team in the league that terrifies me- you could say the 49ers, but our coach knows them inside and out. We'll win that game if we have to. My only worries are @Philly or @Baltimore, just because those are two very tough places to play. I think we have a real shot at winning at either city though.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

StrikingStrikingForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 02:42 PM

No team in the AFC is perfect. And all are beatable by this current team. We could finish out at 5-1, giving us a chance at #1. With X, Ramsey and Kohou, along with Holland and Jones, we might have the best secondary. That secondary will lead to more coverage sacks, possibly minimizing the loss of Phillips. Other injuries are concerning especially at OL but they keep on performing well with the next guy up. So right now I'm not worried and even without that #1, I can see us in the Superbowl.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 02:54 PM

Comfortable? I don't know. I think this is the best team we've had since 2008, maybe since 2000. I think it's going to win the division and win a home playoff game.
Will I be satisfied with that? Probably, since it's progress.
Am I comfortable with them as a SB team? No, I don't think they're at that level. People here will call me negative or some such idiotic crap for that, but that's my judgement. They're a playoff team but they need more experience to be a SB team.

TItirty8Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 02:59 PM

I am not comfortable just because the AFC is stacked. I think there is a very real shot that a team with a Super Bowl caliber roster might miss the playoffs altogether. I think teams like the Bills or Texans are both capable of beating any team on any given Sunday. I do not think both of these teams will make the playoffs.

Nobody ever feels good playing KC. The Ravens are looking good on both sides of the ball. There is a ton of talent in Jacksonville.

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 03:01 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Comfortable? I don't know. I think this is the best team we've had since 2008, maybe since 2000. I think it's going to win the division and win a home playoff game.
Will I be satisfied with that? Probably, since it's progress.
Am I comfortable with them as a SB team? No, I don't think they're at that level. People here will call me negative or some such idiotic crap for that, but that's my judgement. They're a playoff team but they need more experience to be a SB team.

A Super Bowl team is a playoff team that wins 2 or 3 games. You're expecting us to make the playoffs and win one game, so your just one win away from believing in us as a Super Bowl team. That doesn't feel like too much of a stretch this season.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

JJ_79JJ_79Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 03:12 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

A Super Bowl team is a playoff team that wins 2 or 3 games. You're expecting us to make the playoffs and win one game, so your just one win away from believing in us as a Super Bowl team. That doesn't feel like too much of a stretch this season.

If we’re staying relatively healthy, that is. I really like how our D is playing and as much as the JP injury sucks, it could‘ve hit us on worse positions. The O and Tua need to get the turnovers in order and we should be good to go come playoffs.

OwesOwn614OwesOwn614Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 03:12 PM

"KeyFin wrote:

A Super Bowl team is a playoff team that wins 2 or 3 games. You're expecting us to make the playoffs and win one game, so your just one win away from believing in us as a Super Bowl team. That doesn't feel like too much of a stretch this season.

I'm looking at the other top-tier teams and I'm sure every one of them has a fan base that has similar concerns to ours. Styles make fights and it may come down to who is scheduled to play whom and where those matchups take place. My confidence goes way up if we're playing at home.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 03:25 PM

You've gotta define what comfortable means.

Do I think this is the best team in the league and they're going to win the super bowl this year? Probably not.

Do I think this team is showing drastic signs of improvement and finally crawling out of a 2 + decades streak of mediocrity? Yes!

That makes me comfortable with this Dolphins team.

They have one of best, if not the best head coach in the league, are heading in the right direction and have a puncher's chance right now of making noise in the playoffs. This team finally has a fun to watch offense. A defense that is getting better every week. A QB playing as good as any QB in the league right now who seems to be getting better every year. They are winning all the games that they should and competitive in the rest. What's not to be comfortable with?

If you're defining what makes you comfortable as a fan as the team has to be the best in the league, that's fine but you're setting yourself up for a letdown. There are 31 other teams in this league trying to be the best and even with all the right pieces in place winning it all isn't easy. As a fan, realistically the best you can hope for is for your favorite team to have a chance. This team has a chance.

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 05:50 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Am I comfortable with them as a SB team? No, I don't think they're at that level. People here will call me negative or some such idiotic crap for that, but that's my judgement. They're a playoff team but they need more experience to be a SB team.

This. I think we're a year away from being real contenders but I'm loving watching us week in, week out.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

djphinfandjphinfanSupporter
Nov 27, 2023, 06:21 PM

does everyone know that since week 5 we are the #1 rated Defense in the NFL.

elite against the run

elite running games

elite pass rushing

elite passing game.

Jason Sanders has found his grrove.

all thats left to clean up is Tua turning the ball over to consistently.

and finding a better way to execute our timing based offense when were in a hostile environments.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 07:12 PM

"djphinfan wrote:

Jason Sanders has found his groove.

I must have missed it when that happened. Or no, he must have missed it.

bbqpitloverbbqpitloverForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 07:27 PM

I will say this, and please no attacking me, I am not comfortable with Tua as the QB. Yes he is having a good year, yes he is staying healthy, but his production has dropped off the last few games. Way too many turn-overs for my taste, but in all respect Tua helped get us where we are today and the defense is really starting to show up. I'm hoping and praying this is our year, I have been waiting way too long to celebrate a Superbowl victory. That's my two cents and that's all about what it is worth.

DorfdadDorfdadForum Veteran
Nov 27, 2023, 07:38 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

Comfortable? I don't know. I think this is the best team we've had since 2008, maybe since 2000. I think it's going to win the division and win a home playoff game.
Will I be satisfied with that? Probably, since it's progress.
Am I comfortable with them as a SB team? No, I don't think they're at that level. People here will call me negative or some such idiotic crap for that, but that's my judgement. They're a playoff team but they need more experience to be a SB team.

maybe that’s my concern we are a good team but not one with the killer instinct or that experience winning big games. That will come but I’m hoping it comes before other parts of our team start falling apart! We have a 2 year window IMHO before contracts kill us

DAdanmarinoSupporter
Nov 27, 2023, 08:58 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

I must have missed it when that happened. Or no, he must have missed it.

Sanders is 9 of 10 at 49 yards and less

He’s 2 of 3 at 50 +

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 01:35 AM

I think we’ve made major strides and have a chance to win a playoff game or two. I still think there’s a clear difference between us and 5-6 of the best teams in the NFL. I just keep wondering what McDaniel could do if he got a good TE in this offense.

I’m also waiting to see if this defense is capable of playing at a top 10-15 level or if it’s just that we’ve played horrible offenses the last 2 games. It’s fun watching more defensive games or at least games where our defense helps our offense win games. That’s really the difference between contenders and pretenders.

FinFaninBuffaloFinFaninBuffaloForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 06:38 AM

IMO, we are a healthy OL away from being the best team in the AFC.

Film first, numbers second. If the numbers don’t match what is seen on film, something is likely wrong with the numbers.

Tuanon4LifeTuanon4LifeForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 07:14 AM

Anything short of a Super Bowl will be a huge letdown. This is our year. Super Bowl or bust. Fins up!

StrikingStrikingForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 10:51 AM

"FinFaninBuffalo wrote:

IMO, we are a healthy OL away from being the best team in the AFC.

That and a healthy Achane would put us as the team to beat. We're so close to being there.

Rick 1966Rick 1966Forum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 11:44 AM

"Tuanon4Life wrote:

Anything short of a Super Bowl will be a huge letdown. This is our year. Super Bowl or bust. Fins up!

I don't agree with that. Just winning a playoff game would be a huge step up, considering we haven't done it in 23 years.

dolphin25dolphin25Forum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 12:49 PM

"mlb1399 wrote:

I think we’ve made major strides and have a chance to win a playoff game or two. I still think there’s a clear difference between us and 5-6 of the best teams in the NFL. I just keep wondering what McDaniel could do if he got a good TE in this offense.

I’m also waiting to see if this defense is capable of playing at a top 10-15 level or if it’s just that we’ve played horrible offenses the last 2 games. It’s fun watching more defensive games or at least games where our defense helps our offense win games. That’s really the difference between contenders and pretenders.

I don't think he uses TE's as offensive weapons. The Rams offense is like ours and they have a great TE in Higbee, but they don't use him as a WR much. He is used as a blocking TE most of the time. Would love to have him on this team.

Lord help us.

Tuanon4LifeTuanon4LifeForum Veteran
Nov 28, 2023, 12:52 PM

"Rick 1966 wrote:

I don't agree with that. Just winning a playoff game would be a huge step up, considering we haven't done it in 23 years.

Well we can disagree then. The way I see it this is the final product of a five year rebuild. Ramsey and Fangio was the final piece to put us over the top. I'm not going to settle for anything less than a Super Bowl THIS season. The Bills and Chiefs are both vulnerable. Miami and Tua in particular is healthy. Next year's success isn't guaranteed. Tua and Wilkins both need to get paid this off season. The window is small and we need to go all the way now. This is a team with the best offense in the entire league and a top five defense and relatively healthy on both sides of the ball. There's no reason we shouldn't be there in February.

FinatikFinatikStaff
Nov 28, 2023, 12:52 PM

"dolphin25 wrote:

I don't think he uses TE's as offensive weapons. The Rams offense is like ours and they have a great TE in Higbee, but they don't use him as a WR much. He is used as a blocking TE most of the time. Would love to have him on this team.

I agree with the usage and this offense prioritizing the blocking but having someone that is a high end blocker, can run good routes, find open spots AND has good hands would be great. Just those things.

Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you shouldn't and should do. Not everyone's thoughts are worth consideration. Don't take criticism from anyone who you wouldn't also go to for advice.