Distant Star's Explosion Shatters Record

7 replies

ALalen1New MemberOP
Mar 22, 2008, 11:38 PM

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/distant-stars-explosion-shatters-record/20080321184809990001

"The light from an exploding star 7.5 billion light years away set a record Wednesday for the most distant object ever seen with the naked eye."

ATATL-DolfanNew Member
Mar 23, 2008, 08:48 AM

That is one heck of an explosion. I wish I could have seen it myself.

ALalen1New Member
Mar 23, 2008, 11:49 AM

Awesome pictures that they show.

PHphineas64New Member
Mar 25, 2008, 11:04 AM

Cool pics. 7.5 billion l/y away? Wow.

The greatest value of the past is how wisely we invest it in the future.
- Jim Rohn

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 25, 2008, 11:10 AM

7.5 Billion....wow, that is ALOT of birthdays

EDIT: And a ton of Cake and Ice Cream

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Mar 25, 2008, 02:39 PM

There is a star that is in the Orion Constilation that when it explodes it will be seen in the daytime.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

jason8erjason8erLuxury Box
Mar 26, 2008, 05:02 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

There is a star that is in the Orion Constilation that when it explodes it will be seen in the daytime.

Amazing. The data is just mind numbing isn't it? And to think that I've been anticipating the completion of the International Space Station because you'll be able to see it going overhead during the daytime.

azfinfanmangazfinfanmangLuxury Box
Mar 26, 2008, 05:10 PM

This is from my hometown local newspaper BTW:

A robotic telescope on Fenton Hill in the Jemez Mountains west of Los Alamos was the first instrument on Earth to get a look at one of the brightest known explosions in the cosmos March 19.

http://www.lamonitor.com/cgi-bin/storyviewnew.cgi?075+News.2008326-5545-075-075007.Full+News