1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovering Neil Young...Help

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, May 22, 2010.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    so for whatever reason i never really cared for neil young. i guess i just thought he was a bit soft lol

tonight i was at a "movie in the park" thing they do around here where they play old movies on inflatable screens as like a picnic type thing. pretty cool.

anyway, after i set up and began sipping my spiked drink, i was listening to some of the music being played beforehand. i realized it was neil young and i realized that it was awesome lol

it was none of his really famous stuff, just really chill

i go on to wikipedia to try to find what i heard earlier and i find that the guy must have put out literally 1000 songs. i was hoping the knowledgeable ones hear could help me wade through some of it

i did find one. its called "vampire blues" off the "on the beach" album

i also recall one slow, organ heavy sound that ends with him on the harmonica that kind of blew my mind

a lot of the stuff i liked had bass lines that were subdued, but would then pop out every other line (help me pagan)

im guessing the stuff my ear likes and the stuff i heard is probably not of the crosby stills and nash variety, but then i saw that stills played the keyboard

you may not be able to help me find the songs, but at least to that sort of style

thanks

2. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    For the most part, I don't care for Neil Young much; but his Harvest Moon album is sublime.

And chicks dig it. :yes:

3. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    horse with no name is a great song just to chill and drink to.
    hey hey my my is more of a rocker song but definately at least worth a listen to.
    And of course rockin in the free world

Boik14 likes this.
  4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    im going to check those out. there has to be some other neil young fans in here

5. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Horse_with_No_Name

:wink2:

unluckyluciano likes this.
  6. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Live Rust
    ugliest chord in rock ever
    i don't hear it often but... enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN5jtFZEt4"]YouTube- Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Hey, Hey, My My (Into The Black)[/ame]

PrepDogg likes this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    check out the mirror ball cd. Peace and love is pretty awesome. Great song to drive around to. The Downtown is very 70's ish but its a chill song. Nabo mentioned Harvest moon and its pretty good. His early stuff with Buffalo Springfield precludes me but Ive heard some and it sounded ok, I just have to be in the mood for it.

8. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwS38YH1iw"]YouTube- Neil Young - Southern Man (After The Goldrush)[/ame]

anlgp likes this.
  9. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Neil Young is great...but if you ever watch one of his concerts...he has one of the most self indulgent and boring guitar solos ever performed.

10. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Musically I like a lot of his work, but he has this really undergrad sense of politics that he lets loose into his lyrics. Just doesn't have the sense of a Bob Dylan or Pete Townsend when it comes to writing 'meaningful' lyrics and his work would be better if he avoided it.

And since someone has posted "Southern Man", I feel obliged to post probably the greatest F*** you song ever written.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lNFRLrP014"]YouTube- Leningrad Cowboys & Red Army Choir - SWEET HOME ALABAMA[/ame]

jetssuck likes this.
  11. Dolphin1184

Dolphin1184 Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Augusta, GA
    My favorite song from Crosby Stills and Nash: (If I am not mistaken, Young was in the band when they made this song).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6pphVs8bF0"]YouTube- Crosby Stills & Nash - Teach Your Children[/ame]

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

After The Goldrush is a good album.

to me a self indulgent guitar solo has little or nothing to do with the music and is more about showmanship than anything else.

boring is dependent on opinion.

13. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    He's hit or miss with me. Some songs are amazing, some his voice is like nails on a blackboard.

Section126 and NaboCane like this.
  14. anlgp

all of his songs sound like his voice is nails on a blackboard :lol:

Pagan and NaboCane like this.
  15. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :lol: So true.

Young belongs in that category of truly great songwriters who should let other, better singers interpret his work; like Tom Waits and Kris Kristofferson.

Harvest Moon, though is an example of him being able to keep it understated to excellent effect, and his normally grating voice doesn't overpower the delicate beauty of the music.

Conner Oberst, whose band is called Bright Eyes, operates in much the same fashion, and is at least as brilliant a tunesmith as Young—more, in my opinion.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5rhhQbyYV0"]YouTube- Bright Eyes - "First Day of My Life"[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlsVypKIu8"]YouTube- Bright Eyes Land Locked Blues[/ame]

16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Philadelphia

17. anlgp

Flyers kick some serious ***!

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  18. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Neil Young is my all-time favorite. Period. I suggest you sift through his work via albums, and not individual songs. That said, here's some guidance:

Most Accessible
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969) - This is a great rock record with Crazy Horse. There are some hits ("Cinnamon Girl") and some long jams ("Cowgirl in the Sand" and "Down by the River").
    After the Goldrush (1970) - Heartbreakingly beautiful record. Every song is a gem. Country/Folk masterpiece.
    Harvest (1972) - His most popular record. "Heart of Gold" and "Old Man" were big hits. Very polished. Very mainstream.

The Dirty Stuff
    Tonight's the Night (1975) - My favorite. Sounds like day 9 of a 10 day coke and tequilla bender. Beautifully shattered.
    On The Beach (1974) - Phenominal songwriting. This record encapsulates the California post-hippie world.
    American Stars and Bars (1977) - More country. Still rocking.

Other Greats
    Zuma (1975) - His guitar playing is top-knotch
    Rust Never Sleeps (1979) This is a great starting point. 1/2 the record is solo acoustic, the other half is with Crazy Horse. Features my favorite Neil song, "Powderfinger".
    Unplugged (1993) - Neil did MTV's unplugged. The set spanned his entire career. Brilliant stuff.

anlgp and Boik14 like this.
  19. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    ooooh. i sort of gave up. i feel a bit more inspired now.

im very non-country, but i can try. the stuff i heard and really like was organ-heavy. i would like to start with that. suggestions?

i dont really listen to a lot of indie stuff, but it sounds like a lot of indie players are directly inspired by neil young. i can almost imagine his stuff coming out now and hipsters thinking its the most amazing stuff they have ever heard

20. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Organ-heavy? Try "Like a Hurricane". Killer guitar solos? Try "Cortez the Killer" and "Powderfinger".

Neil has really inspired generations of musicians. 15 years ago he was dubbed the "Godfather of Grunge". Now, pissants like Bright Eyes (who couldn't hold Neil's jock) are influenced by him too. That's okay by me. The width and depth of his catalogue is astounding.

Maybe you should just get Live Rust. Its a live album with Crazy Horse. Not very country, lotsa rocking, and some keyboards.

Neil is the best. Enjoy!

maynard likes this.
  21. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    :rolleyes:

22. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    If you want to hear an amazing version of Cortez The Killer try the Dave Matthews Live in Central Park CD. He partnered up with Warren Hayes for that and I never liked the song so much. It went from being "eh" to being an all time favorite of mine in a matter of 10 minutes. It was even better being there live but the CD cut isnt bad at all. :up:

23. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Comparing Dave Matthews to Neil Young is like comparing Jimmy Buffett to Jimi Hendrix. Its just wrong. And yes, I understand that Warren Hayes took the solos and not Dave Matthews, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

24. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Well I happen to like Dave so......yeah Ill just let that slide because saying I disagree is an understatement. :yes:

25. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

A horse with no name isn't a Neil Young song. It is by a band called America. It does sound like Neil in the early 70's though.

Neil Young is a musical god.

He has one of the biggest , most diverse collection of great music of modern times. Seriously.

If you only had connected him to his acoustic phase you have truly missed one of rock's great , vengeful guitarists that has influenced Pearl Jam , Nirvana et all.

He is a singer-songwriter musician of extroardinary influence.

Home town boy , so we take great pride in him of course , but he can flat out rock , and has tons of great songs to demonstrate this.

Go to Amazon.com and browse him in the music section , you will not be dissapointed .

26. dolfan22

Lyrics from one of my favourite cd's ..... silver jews , american water "all of my favourite singers couldn't sing".

A lot behind those lyrics , give me passion and great writing over melodious middle of the road forgetable songs EVERYDAY !
    :)

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Freedom has always been my favorite Neil Young Album. Rockin in the Free world should be the modern national anthem. He's hit or miss sometimes but when he's great he's one of the best song writers of all time.

Boik14 likes this.
  28. dolfan22

Music for me is very dependent on mood , how I feel or want to feel greatly influences what I chose to listen to , can be very eclectic and diverse.

That being said , I would say Tonight's The Night is my consistently favorite/most played Neil Young album.

Uniformly brilliant and a unique masterpiece . You have to be able to be immersed in his mourning and emotional state of mind when he wrote these songs.