1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

------ Did Parcells tip his hand on draft???

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Mile High Fin, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Parcells participated in a live chat on NFL.com today.
    http://chat.nfl.com/front/index/117

He was asked what the Dolphins' weak points and strong points.

Here's his answer:
    Parcells: "I think the strong points are the collective team itself. Unselfishness, willing to work hard and practice hard. I think we need a little more firepower on offense."

Could that be a hint that he's more concerned about upgrading the offense (moreso than defense)?
    Most seem to think our focus will be mostly defense early in the draft, but maybe this implies that offense will be a higher priority.

Obviously, free agency could be a source of upgrades to the offense, but it could also imply more emphasis on offense in the draft as well.

Also, I thought the word "firepower" was an interesting choice. Could that imply the skill positions (WR primarily, as QB/RB look good for 2009)?
    Interesting....

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Makes you think more about Hakeem Nicks at 25.

like2god, Frayser and Conuficus like this.
  3. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Bill would never tip his hand

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Truthfully you never know what to believe from Parcells. I definitely wouldn't put it past him to throw something like that out as misdirection even in something as simple as a fan chat.

That being said, this is good news IMO. I agree that we do need another WR and I'd love Nicks, but hopefully at the very least this means we'll go WR with one of our first 3 picks. I also wouldn't assume he just means WR's though. We know he has an affinity for TE's and while Fasano and Martin did a pretty good job for us I wouldn't put it past him to look for the next Jason Whitten.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The 08 dolphins were a blue collar, grind it out sort of team, we had 1 home run threat, Ted Ginn and a group of guys that did force opposing D Coordinators to game plan just for that one player.

So for me, IMO he saying we need more threats on offense, Te comes to mind, Wr a bit more so.

6. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    smoke screen..

7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I know it's unlikely, but to me firepower spells T.J. Houshmandzadeh.

Hakeem Nicks was my 2nd thought.

8. Mile High Fin

Mile High Fin New Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Fort Collins, CO
    Ha ha. Whatever.

If he was talking specific names.......yes, then smoke screen.

But, just stating that a weak point of the 2008 team was we need more "firepower on offense" is not revealing any top secret info.

But, it DOES show that he's of the mindset that we need help on offense more than defense...........in turn, this could mean we prioritize offense more than most think in the draft.

9. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think it might be read into a little more than it should be. If I remember correctly from last year, Ireland said that the number one pick needs to be a defensive building block or something along those lines and everyone then thought that meant Gholston, Chris Long, Dorsey or Ellis. With this franchise, I dont think your ever going to get real specific details when it comes to the draft but only generalizations about what they intend to do.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    "Pillar of the defense."

;)

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Exactly what I was going to say.

Remember that all of our draft strategies right now can instantly change with 1 FA signing.

:praying: Please be Dansby.

12. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree, he only said what was needed, even Stevie Wonder could see that.:shifty:

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

14. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    Everybody is going to read into what they want to when it comes to what the front office says , cuzzz everyone likes to play G.M. this time a year and everyone from your Sister to your Mom thinks they know whats really going on.

And the front office is going to put out so much misinformation that no matter how whacked out your plans for the Dolphins are your going to get some kind of bone from them.

We all know who the weak sisters of the team are.............or you should if your reading this or post at this site.Just like last year,we can't plug every hole we have.

15. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Parcells didn't tip his hand because he doesn't make the personell decisions. :tongue2:

16. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    parcells doesnt speak to the fan when he's interviewing. he is always speaking to the other 31 front offices.

17. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Maybe Pettigrew at 25? Or perhaps we push hard for Boldin?

18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Last year they said "Pillar of the Defense" and we did take to DEs in the first three rounds. I would say that was a focus on finding a "Pillar of the Defense." I would take Parcells' comment to mean that we will focus on adding offensive firepower this off-season. That would mean at least two players in either the draft or FA. I don't think it necessarily means at #25. I think the most likely positions are WR, Wildcat-type QB or a Percy Harvin type athlete.

19. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I heard Trey Wingo interviewing Parcells...I think it was earlier today, and it sounded like Parcells is going to bolt ship as soon as Miami is in a position where they have the players they need to compete year in and year out. He did say he would be here through 2009, but It didn't sound like he would be around much longer after this.

20. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Given Parcells M.O. does this really surprise anyone? Frankly, I think he is putting the infrastructure in place here where his leaving won't really even cause a hiccup in operations. He said earlier today he is here until he thinks Ireland and Sparano can run the ship by themselves. I think that was 100% sincerity. Those are his guys and he wants them to succeed. When he thinks they have everything under control he's gone, and beyond the sensationalism there will be on ESPN it won't make much of a difference.

padre31 and alen1 like this.
  21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Exactly, to me the bar is high for that to happen, especially from a player personnel acquisition point of view...Jeff Ireland is still green as grass.

22. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    This was an innocent enough statement, but keep in mind that Parcells wrote in his book that he's not above lying to get an upperhand. :wink2:

padre31 and alen1 like this.
  23. FinFan_Est.1984

FinFan_Est.1984 Get Aggressive!!!

Jan 6, 2008
    So. Calif.
    Well i hope he is not lying and that it means either Boldin or T.J. One of those two alone would make a significant impact for our offense. Either one would become our #1 thus freeing up Ginn.

To me it looks as if AZ may be trading Boldin especially after how well Breaston has turned out.

24. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He also told Jim Mandich that he liked Chad Henne and Jake Long.

Isnt that more of a highlight from the chat?