1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dez Bryant meets with Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bluehaze, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Read the post I was replying to, specifically Shulaboy's statement that "One high profile face never equals a Superbowl." Posting Drew Brees' portrait is a brief yet direct way of refuting that assertion. He's the face of the Saints franchise, and he is far and away the leading reason why the Saints even made the Super Bowl, let alone why they won it. (The Saints defense had some nice moments, but no, Tracy Porter is not a credible rebuttal.)

As for straying from the topic, yes, by delving into the conversation of which player or person won the Super Bowl, you're changing the topic of discussion from the makeup of teams that get to the Super Bowl in the first place. Again: Tracy Porter is not a particularly high-profile member of the Saints. He's pretty good, but he means nothing to that franchise relative to guys like Drew Brees or Deuce McAllister... which is the subtopic that was being discussed before you veered away from that with the Tracy Porter nonsense.

And despite being a subtopic, the issue does indeed relate to Dez Bryant, because of Shulaboy's specific reasons for asserting of the importance of adding to the defense over adding to the offense. That is, Shulaboy is saying that playmakers on defense will constitute a quicker path to a championship than playmakers on offense. Of course, no one who wants to draft Dez Bryant denies that the defense needs help, but realizes that Dez Bryant would be the BPA at 12 and fills perhaps the last major hole on our offense, while leaving us with 8 more draft picks to fill out our defense in a draft relatively deep at the LB and S positions. Not coincidentally, those are our two biggest positions of need at defense. See how this works?

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hes actually had questions about that kind of thing before winning the Super Bowl. Remember when Brady and the Pasts used to own them?

However, again, we have 2 excellent developing cornerbacks, the position you are lauding right now.

I could also counter that Pierre Garcon dropped a surefire touchdown earlier in the game that would have put the Colts solidly up top and may have shifted the momentum of the game.

3. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

It was a two TD victory.....not like that TD is what beat them, it sealed it. The saints were up 24-17 at the time. So no, it didn't "decide" the game

And prior to Manning winning a SB, he was being labeled as "couldn't win the big one" so yeah, he's failed before.

Bottom line is the Saints defense wasn't much better than ours.....what they had was better play from their secondary. Which is key given it's now a passing league.

texanphinatic likes this.
  4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    you guys got me here
    I'll cave cause defense doesnt mean a damn thing
    we had the most prolific passing QB that the game has ever seen
    ive been down that road
    not real fond of shootouts
    lived and died with those games
    remember?

5. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well that's more over exaggeration.... no one saying defense means nothing or that we don't need to add talent in some areas. Let's just realize that Wanny ball isn't going to get it in this era....

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You must not watch many Colts games, then. Peyton Manning's playoff gaffes are well-publicized and heart-wrenching for that fanbase.

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    honestly im sold
    tell me more about this offense driven league
    core positions
    first ive heard of it
    i want to see your answer hell i want see everyones answer and the solution
    enlighten me :up:
    we are in the dez thread
    will he be there at 12

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    been to more indy/dolphin games than you have fingers on both hands
    go ahead and count the fingers all ten of them and keep going
    yep i was there when lorenzo brommel broke manning's jaw
    also there in '98 mannings first game LOL

dont really matter

there is not many football people anywhere that werent caught off guard when porter jumped the route

pick six against manning in the SB :lol:

9. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    I hate to stir this pot any further, but I must.

-The biggest high profile face the Dolphins ever had was Dan Marino who has 0 Superbowl rings.

-The 'no name defense' who has 2 Superbowl rings, back to back.

The answer was right under our noses the whole time. Dez would be a great WR addition but there are bigger needs that would bring a Superbowl faster.

finyank13, miamiron and Puka-head like this.
  10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You've changed the topic three times in one post. Bra-vo, sir.

11. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

If you're going to "stir the pot", put something in it

That doesn't make any sense

12. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I kinda think this makes a lota sense.

High profile solo players don't bring Superbowls, defenses do. Drafting Dez at #12 isn't the answer to this team. These teams who hang their hats on the Marino's of the world are always disappointed, but teams who draft defensive players deliver the Lombardi Trophy.

Does that make sense?

Killerphins and cobrajet like this.
  13. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Man is Dez Bryant the only player in this draft? I mean the focus being solely on him in the leadup to the draft makes this place almost unbearable at times. I've been going out to other sites a lot more often during this draft build up because no one seems to care about anything but Bryant. I honestly won't even visit this site for a few days after the draft if he's there at 12 and we pass on him. I'm glad the team is doing its due diligence and visiting with him to get a lot of the questions asked for themselves.

cobrajet likes this.
  14. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I agree!

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Not really. It's a myth that defense wins championships. In fact the NFL Network did a show on top 10 football myths and that was high on the list. It was pretty soundly debunked. And that show was from last summer before two teams with defenses ranked in the 20s competed for the SB.

The fact is that you need a complete team. But there are certain things that you have almost no chance of winning if you lack them. In this passing league one of the main ones is an efficient passing attack. When you have to pick up that third and long you better have the players or your dead.

jetssuck likes this.
  16. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Well that's because you're not looking at the big picture.....

We need both.... a serious upgrade at WR and TE for the offense and LB's and a FS for the defense.

It's unlikely we're going to the SB regardless of who we draft this year. But what we could do is make it much more likely that our young QB is successful and takes a step forward during his crucial sophomore season. And to do that, we need to get him some play making targets so that he's not out there having to just make do with what he has....

It just makes more sense to concentrate on offense first....for our QB's sake. Because if he flames out, we're screwed.............period.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Plus, I think we're closer to having an elite offense than defense. Get us a number one receiver, and we are an elite offense.

jetssuck likes this.
  18. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    This.

Our offense would be insane....especially if you upgrade at TE as well

Easily top 5 unit, IMO

19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    day of reckoning on the horizon
    I say:
    pick the best talent as it falls @12

Disnardo likes this.
  20. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Naw you can't really say that, maybe what you want to say is that a Defensive play sealed the win with the time remaining...

We seem to have forgotten that NO was leading the Colts 24-17 with about 2:30 left... Now I am not saying that the Colts could have tied the score, since the Saints D do give up points, but the pick 6 sealed the deal...

21. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    The problem is we were 15th in the league in scoring
    and 25th in allowing points...our 390 points allowed was third worst for this team in 40 years

I went back 4 seasons to see what teams did while allowing 390 points or more and 26 teams have allowed
    390 points or more with ONLY 1 TEAM OUT OF 26 HAD a winning record the 2008 Arizona cardinals at 9-7

Chance are if this defense doesn't improve and allows 390 points again we will be looking at a losing record

Miami...7-9...pts allowed...390
    Titans...8-8....................402
    KC.......4-12...................424
    Giants...8-8....................427
    Detriot..2-14...................494
    Tampa..3-13...................400
    Seattle..5-11...................390
    St. Louis..1-15.................436

Houston...8-8..................394
    Denver....8-8..................448
    KC..........2-14................440
    Detroit.....0-16................517
    Saints......8-8..................393
    Seattle.....4-12................392
    ST.Louis...2-14................465
    Arizona.....9-7.................426 only team with a winning record when allowing 390 pts or more

ST.Louis...3-13................438
    Arizona.....8-8.................399
    Atlanta.....4-12................414
    Detroit.....7-9..................444
    Oakland...4-12.................398
    Denver....7-9...................409
    Miami......1-15.................437

Titans...8-8.....................400
    Detroit..3-13...................398
    San Fran..7-9..................412

If this defense allows 390 points like last season expect another losing record

22. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    You don't have to go far back to see it, IMO, look at the 2006 SB Champions...

In the 3 Post season games before the SB, Manning played horribly, if it was not for that Defense they would have lost the 1st PS game...

He threw 3 INTS in that first game, and for the other two games he threw a combined 6 INTs, 2 TDs, and 6.6 YPA...not Manning like figures are they???

He kind of made up for it inthe SB, granted that rain during the whole game surely did not help him...

23. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

The Saints gave up about 3 points per game less than us last year...

And........when you're lighting up the score board on offense, it takes pressure off your defense and puts them in a more advantageous position.

And went to the SB............how?............ elite passing game

24. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I don't know if logically I can accept this... The Sainst D this year had players that made numerous game changing plays through out the year...

Again, there is nothing advantageous about giving up 27 or more points per game in 7 meeting... the odds don't favor an "Elite Passing game," IMO and that is the logical view...

In 2008 the Saints D gave up as many points per game as we just did this year and they scored 29 and still left them with an 8-8 record...

So having a Passing game that can score quickly is fine, but you cannot play shoot outs, cause then bad plays happen like they normally due... Manning and the Colts found that out in the 2009 SB...

25. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

You can't accept that scoring more points makes you harder to beat?

You can't accept that when you put a lot of points on the board it puts the oppositions offense in a situation where it's less guess work on defense concerning what they might do?

As I've said many times......you don't need a Ravens 2000 defense. Just play makers in the right positions. That was the diff for the Saints this year....

26. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Guys, guys, guys...

I know that I am relatively new to the board and don't wish to find myself apposing some of you but our defensive collapse at the end of the season CLEARLY cost us our rightful playoff appearance, which is why the front office wasted no time in making cuts, changing DC's and grabbing Danbsy.

I fully understand that Dez would add a great deal to this offense but our coach has repeatedly said that he is happy with our WR's. Long term we will have to upgrade at the position (obviously) but this is a defensive draft.

In order to stop the bleeding we should pick from the proper tree, and in this years draft that means defense. This draft looks almost custom, made for us.

27. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Jet... buddy... pal... I am not against scoring more points...

I am against giving up almost as many....

I surely (not calling you Shirley) don't want my Defense to give up as many points as the Saints D did this year in half of the games...

Now do you want to know how many teams that has scored at least 390 points over the last 5 years have done, record speaking? Right of the top, and I could be wrong, I would say that the record is around 0.500...

cobrajet likes this.
  28. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    Since the popular opinion on this thread is that defenses don't matter how do you think these offenses are scoring all of these points? Could it be on the other teams defense?

If we stop them from scoring - they will have no score. I kinda think defenses are pretty important.

cobrajet likes this.
  29. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

Well obviously we want to give up less......but the more you score, the less you have to worry about it. The Saints D last season gave up around 3 points less a game than us and went 13-3.

My point is, there's no need to panic.....

You add legit play makers to this offense and it's a scary, top 5 unit in IMO and there would be no need to get crazy and use all your resources on the defensive side of the ball.

Disnardo likes this.
  30. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010

Even more reason to draft the defense. We need to be balanced on both sides of the ball.

miamiron and cobrajet like this.
  31. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

Good luck building a defense to stop the Saints from scoring.

Better idea........ask the league to change the rules back so that it's no longer an offense driven league.

32. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Right because the last thing we would want in an offense driven league is an elite offense

33. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I do want to upgrade the defense. But if we have a chance to acquire a player that will instantly make our offense a top 5 unit, help out our young franchise QB, and help the receivers around him, why not? It makes too much sense.

Then, you can spend the rest of our picks on defense.

bigbry and jetssuck like this.
  34. cobrajet

Jan 12, 2010
    I really don't know the answer to this but has there ever been a Superbowl champion with a bad defense?

the late 70's Steelers had 'the steel curtain'
    the early 70's Dolphins had 'the no name defense'
    the mid 70's Cowboys had 'the doomsday defense'
    the mid 80's Giants had the 'big blue wrecking crew'
    the late 90's Steelers had 'Blitzburgh'
    the mid 00 Patriots had 'the homeland defense'

I really can't think of any teams winning an SB with a bad D.....

35. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville

Not a "bad" defense..... but in today's NFL you don't need a defense worthy of a nick name to win a SB.

36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    so you say that guy is dez bryant and i say it is not
    chances are the FO agrees with me and the dez lovers will be heavily disappointed come draft night

37. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I agree with you on this part...

Now I did go back on my prior statement and look at some stats...

Teams that have scored at least 390 points in the Season have done very well, generaly, in the Season and Post Season... They have at least 60% winning record, and as high as 88%...

In the Post Season, 14 of them have made to the Conference Championship games. That is 14 of those 20 (70%) teams matched...

And 6 (60%) of those teams have played in the last 5 SB...

but only winning 2 (40%) of the last 5 SB...

So in retrospect, 3 of the last 5 SB Winners had Offenses that scored less than 390 points or 24 PPG in the Regular Season...

Those odds tell me that scoring alot of points can get you pointing in the right direction and into the Post Season, but will not guarantee the Lombardy...

jetssuck likes this.
  38. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    but we had a "bad" defense last year. We had an average offense and a bad defense. Getting rid of Porter and Taylor (probably) necessitates linebacker IMO. We cant risk having Wake and a 2nd rounder as our starters

39. Disnardo

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    You mean it can get worse???:wink2:

I mean that in the most sarcastic way...:lol:

IMO, we got better by subtraction... Wilson, I hate to say it, so I will spell it...

Cost us a few games IMO, and I am being nice....

adamprez2003 likes this.
  40. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    well i'm certainly willing to risk missing out on a FS this year and possibly have to rely on Clemons, Culver or Allen but to rely on Wake and a 2nd or 3rd round rookie at OLB is frightening

Disnardo likes this.