1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demotion of Dolphins’ Allen causes fan and media frenzy

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Aug 27, 2008.

1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
  2. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Where's the media frenzy?

3. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im banned at Finheaven so I couldnt read what they had to say about it. I agree its a ploy though. JA has looked solid and appears to be our only playmaker in the secondary.

alen1, Larryfinfan, calphin and 3 others like this.
  4. joeydolfan

joeydolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Good lord those advertisements are real pain in the A**. I haven't been banned yet but I guess that would have to do with me not even bothering to log on anymore to see the drivel on the site.

5. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    yeah that....also where is the fan frenzy?

lol

6. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Jason Allen will start at free safety.

Brown42000, cdz12250 and Larryfinfan like this.
  7. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    whats up w/the other guy promoted to first string?

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think they have to put Crocker in there to see how he works with the first unit, but Allen has had too good of a preseason (can't say about practices) to not be considered the starter...JMO...that and a buck will get a cup of coffee at Mickey D's, but no one has seemingly outplayed him at the position...

Could they be looking at injury situations perhaps...seeing who fits best where if we lose someone in the secondary ???

9. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Chris is a decent back-up/special team guy but he's decidely average in coverage. Jason has worked through his positional issues and has clearly had a very good camp. No harm in giving Crocker a carrot or two. Indeed, no harm in getting him some live bullets, especially as Jason may see some time at CB in multiple sets, meaning Crock HAS to play safety.

Larryfinfan, FiN.in.RI and gunn34 like this.
  10. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    I have a feeling that the DBs are going to get moved around in different defensive sets. We saw JAllen playing corner last Saturday.

11. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I like the format. It's a bit unconventional, which is always good in my book. :)

12. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Cover skills aside, Crocker is a very good blitzer, which happens to be a skills Parcells covets a lot. This whole Crocker/Allen issue has a lot to do with the coaching staff trying out different packages and looking for a way to use Allen and Crocker together. With Bell already out there and Crocker obviously thrown into the starting mix I wouldn't be surprised to see us bring the safety blitz quite a lot. This is going to be a fun defensive backfield to watch.

13. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Thanks for the all of the feedback (positive and negative). "Frenzy" might have been too strong a word, but it's definitely become one of the hot topics of conversation in recent days.

Also, can you guys give me some feedback on the general format of the article? It would be much appreciated.

14. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I do like the general idea of providing background on the actual news item in form of a comment. You might want to expand on that as it isn't done very often yet (unfortunately so) and actually makes your article worth reading even if you already know the news itself.

On the negative side, you might want to go easy on the sensationalist headlines. I know it's easy to get carried away and it does get you some additional clicks, but readers (especially those who don't much care about the Dolphins in the first place but found the headline intriguing) will feel cheated. If you promise me a frenzy, I expect a frenzy. Never make promises you can't keep. Also, if you decide to go the sensationalist route, make sure you start the actual article with it. Building "suspense" is a good idea when writing a novel but a bad one in journalism, especially online where the usual attention span is severely limited.

By the way, I sincerely hate those ads in the actual article. Personally, I'd stop reading right there.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  15. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Good comments, Vendigo. Keep your headlines informational -- don't oversell.

I also like the News/Commentary/Fantasy Impact format, although it's not virgin territory: Yahoo Sports has a similar approach.

16. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    not only that but i have a feeling that their doing this switching stuff to get jason allen on the field even more.

I think he may be our DIME corner and that would bring crocker on the field as our safety.

I keep saying there is a hybrid position out there for Jason allen and it looks to me as we have found the coaches that have forsight to see this.

I wanna this kid play safety on one play, corner on the next and then a blitz from a linebacker position on the next.... let that boy use his talents and chase and cover, keep him strictly at safety and hes gonna get hurt.

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Because his name is not Brett or Tom or Peyton, media frenzy is a relative word. Every so fla pub probably noted the change, with an accompanying article or blurb, and obviously enough people questioned Sparano about for him t speak on it, in turn causing all the same to print his answer.

We're talking about jason allen and chris crocker. that's about as frenzy as it can ever get for those two.

18. DrAstroZoom

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    My point was the 365 article head referenced a media frenzy but didn't mention the media once in the actual article.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Oh haha. I thought you were implying there was no frenzy in the first place.

To be fair, he didnt discuss the fan frenzy either. Seems to me the reader just needs to infer there was a frenzy, which there kind of was. The article is more about the position battle, not the reactions to the demotion.

I guess.