1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defensive or Offensive oriented Head Coaches?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Dec 26, 2007.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    With the Cam season winding down, and with the terrible results, perhaps it is time to look at which focus in a Head Coach leads to success in the shortest time frame in the NFL.

Buddy Ryan took a moribund Eagles team to the playoffs.

Wayne Tomlinson a Def Cord is taking the Steelers to the playoffs.

Coughlin, Fisher, Del Rio, Gruden, Phllips, Dungy, Gibbs.

The majority of NFL teams that are going to the play offs in 2007 all have Defensive Co-Ordinator backgrounds, the exception being Norv Turner who inherited his team from Marty S.

It would seem the overwhelming majority of NFL HC who are successful are Defensive Minded, or have a background in defensive planning, a complete 180' degree turn from the 80's where offense won championships for the dominant teams of the era.

It would seem that if we are to part ways with Cam Cameron, a Defensive Co-Ordinator would be the best bet for a return to success for the Miami Dolphins.

Bill Walsh would not approve...

So with that in mind, who are the bright young minds on Defense around the coaching staffs of the NFL?

Or who is the next revolutionary Offensive genius who can take advantage of such a heavy emphasis on the Defensive side of the football?

2. #1DoLfAnOKesh

#1DoLfAnOKesh New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    i think mike singletary and rex ryan will be good head coaches

3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Shanahan, Walsh come to mind as offensive guys, I know Dungy is a defensive guy but Moore runs that offense. Homegren, and Reid are offense. Childress is turning the Vikings into a very good team along with McCarty at Green Bay and both are offensive coaches. Kubiak has turned the Texans around.

I don't think it matters as long as the guy is a good coach.

4. Whitedolphin54

Whitedolphin54 From the land of legends Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    Somerset UK
    Singletary and Rivera come to mind--Bellichick is another who made into a great HC (wanker to boot aswell mind you). I still see flaws with Ryan and would prefer either of the other two, but i would agree that defense builds Championships, and Offense is for pansy's :lol:

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Trends NJ, the NFL success seems to be happening to defensive HC's, the offensive HC's are on the fringe of making the playoffs.

Billick and Martz were the last offensive HC types who had serious SB contending or winning teams.

I actually had some hope preseason that Cam and an offensive approach would equal enough of a difference or edge this year that we would do much better then 1-14, it's tough to tell when a HC will be ahead of the curve in the NFL, or to far out to even be in the curve.

6. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Gruden and the Bucs...........and how about the Seahawks, Reid with the Eagles.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Gruden won the SB his first year, not so good afterward until this season...

Reid is out of the play offs, the Eagles have really fallen off of their 4 straight NFC title game perch..

Seahwaks=Weak division, man with one eye reigns in the land of the blind..

Interesting that Bellicheck has deviated from the normal Pats winning formula this year, strong defense, ball control etc, the pats may be ahead of the curve on the switch from Defense oriented to offense oriented, fortunate for them they have Brady at Qb to manage the switch.

8. mmikel30

mmikel30 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    in a house
    i second that

9. mmikel30

mmikel30 New Member

Dec 3, 2007
    in a house
    a lot of people knock gruden he did inherit a good "DEFENSIVE " team with the bucs and won a super bowl with them, but a lot of people seem to forget it was also gruden's oakland raiders team that he played and beat in the superbowl. i like gruden a lot i think he is a great coach.

10. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here

Last time I checked you said that only Martz and billick had superbowl contending teams. You never qualified your statement (as untrue as it was) and yet you proceed to try and discount mine with they played here, and these guys played there. The Rams played who in those years in the NFC West? Mariucci's Niners, and the Ravens they only has Tenessee, and only just barely. That teams didn't score a touchdown in like two games and still almost won the division. Yeah they were a wild card yet they stack up and my examples don't - right.

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That would be "Super Bowl Contending Teams as Offensive Minded HC's"

The premise of the thread is Offensive minded HC and Defensive minded HC, the last teams that were "Offensive minded" HC's that won or contended for the SB were Martz and Billick, and Billick had a defensive "run the ball/play defense" type team.

If you feel that a Mariucci is the type of offensive minded HC that the trend for playoffs teams this season is, that's fine with me, even though he flopped misearbly with the Lions and left the 49ers in salary cap purgatory for years after he left the franchise.

Holmgren HC's in a weak division, the Cardinals, the 49ers, and even St Louis have all been poor teams for year now. No doubt his wins still count, but going 9-7 in that division is not a forward trend in HCing...

BTW, i'm not trying to diminish your counterpoints, I am curious as to what Dolfans think the next coaching trend is, and which sort of coach they would like to see if Cam does get fired.

No offense meant at all toward your post.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007