1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending the Pat White pick.....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Oct 2, 2009.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Defending the Pat White pick;
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...g/2009/10/defending_the_pat_white_pick_s.html

2. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    The more articles I read from newspapers the more I feel like they just cherry pick message board posts.

3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't think it's defensible. This team had bigger needs. At the time, I liked it...but that was before I saw this year's defense in action.

SeanP, Ultra and like2god like this.
  4. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I didn't like the White pick then and I certainly don't like it now. There were too many needs for this team for us to make a "luxury" pick. Terrible decision by the FO, IMO.

5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I was very vocal in my dislike for the pick, I still feel that we had much bigger needs (the trade for Thiggy just reinforces that IMO), but now that he's on the team we need to hope that he can grow and develop. I hope the kid can be productive for us, but I still hold that we had bigger needs at that spot.

cnc66, mullingan and Rick 1966 like this.
  6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Luxury pick? The guy can hand off the ball a few times each Sunday! :pity: Not too many guys are capable of that. Luxury pick!

SCall13 likes this.
  7. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, I liked the pick when we made it, I don't like the pick now that White has not really been used, that said we've played 3 games give White a bit more time to develop.

8. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    Ditto.

9. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    or the thiggy pick reinforces that we lost our qb to injury....

anlgp, flynryan151 and Fin D like this.
  10. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Considering his style of play and how he's been successful, I think his arrival has more impact on White's job than it does Henne's. Of course the trade was made when Penny went down, but you have to consider what role he'll be playing on the team, I think he's going to push White to the bench.

11. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    he very well could, but given the timing, I would assume they thought what we had was enough till penny got hurt.

anlgp likes this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    We had more needs. However, who's to say that the players that were available would fill those needs, to the FO's specs?

Well, the FO, that's who. At that pick, based on their numbers and who we have, maybe they felt there wasn't anyone available that would be a upgrade over who we had. Maybe they were right or maybe they were wrong, only time will tell. I just don't see how we can leave the conversation solely about need, when its literally half of the equation.

13. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    I think it had more to do with he really didn't cost us anything. This FO does things on the cheap and waiving a conditional pick from a trade was cheap. Not to mention all the FA qb's are stiffs. We have no clue about Pat White!

14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    where is the henne-like patience
    :omg:in Dolfandom for PatWhite?

the guy is winner & will prove himself over the course of this season

the QB question that may arise quickly if Henne falters early in his attempt to captain the team:
    Thigpen vs. Henne

White will gradually work his way into the WildCat.
    Henne will have to take command, after great expectations, of the Pro-Set.
    Thigpen is here to compete not just sit on the bench.

I wish Chad Henne the best of luck & know the best man will rise to the top
    even if we have to go out & draft him after the season is over. it is what it is.

Competion is the Elixir of Success!

PhinsRock, mbmonk and padre31 like this.
  15. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    The big question now is whether they keep white on the active roster or put him on the PS. They needed him to come in for the WC but now that Thigpen can be a conventional QB and a wild cat QB so there is really no need for a 3rd QB on the active roster. The one drawback would be if they put White on the practice squad will another team pick him up?

16. Ultra

Ultra Lazy

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas
    We do still need Pat White as at least an emergency QB. My guess would be they do it like last time. Have Henne start, Pat White at 2, and Thigpen as emergency.

17. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Can we stop talking about Pat White and the wildcat? It's not the wildcat anymore if Pat White is at QB. It's the college spread offense.

Rhody Phins Fan and anlgp like this.
  18. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    LMAO. Good point.

19. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    There is no question that they keep him on the active roster. The question is if they activate him for games in about a month. I think they do. I don't think Thigpen changes anything in regards to White. Thigpen was picked up to fill Chad Hennes role now that Henne is filling Penningtons. Thigpen was available before the draft for cheaper than a 2nd.

20. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
  21. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'd also like to add can we stop talking about pat white like he was a first round draft pick gone wrong?

i feel like the people who disagree with the pick are making way too big a deal about it..

A) he wasn't the first pick, vontae davis was
    B) it's still early, what quarterback doesn't struggle early? people are beheading him like this is his "jamarcus russell" year in the league and he's still only seeing half the field.
    C) :tantrum:
    D) every team has needs and the other players people want could be struggling just as well or not producing just as well (ie. Sintim), and just like the "harvin" thread in the club level, what if we wanted someone else and they were not there? we went to the next BPA on our board..

So what if we picked a different player other than white.. if he were faltering right now does it make it a better pick because it wasn't a "luxury" pick?

I don't understand how a QB with the production white had at the college level is a "luxury" pick. I agree that he hasn't panned out as of yet, that's obvious. But to call it a luxury pick when you've got an aging QB that was gonna go sooner rather than later (little did we know how soon) and a backup who, although he was drafted high, had not had any starts to his credit and limited game time ability.

White was drafted as a QB first and foremost and with our starter aging and our backup unproven I saw it (and still see it) as a way to shore up the position.. just like the Thigpen trade, which I think probably pushes White further back.

And QB is arguably one of the more important positions to fill..

so how is it that it's a luxury pick? we don't have a proven long term solution.

/soap box
    /rant

22. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

:pointlol:

23. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I didn't like the Pat White pick on draft day, but felt Parcells and Ireland deserved the benefit of doubt, still do. It is WAAAAAY too early in a Rookie's development to decidedly say PW will turn out to be a bust for us. Hindsight being 20/20 an ILB or WR that would be better than Turner would have been great.

But why cry over spilled milk? We've got him, give him a chance, you can't hit a HOF player with every draft pick. Ireland is still new at being a GM, he's going to miss one once in a while. Let it go folks, move on. Give the kid a chance to show us something in the WC once he is less wide-eyed and the NFL game slows down for him.

And for God's sake draft WR, ILB, and NT preferably in that order next April! Hear me Jeff? That is assuming Henne doesn't flop, in which case we draft really high and hope for Sam Bradford or another franchise QB.