1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deadliest Warrior (on Spike)

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, Jul 2, 2010.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    curious if anyone has seen this series. pretty cool. they use weapons of a particular warrior and then test them out on animal carcasses to test the amount of damage they do lol

the show is a bit limited and just focuses on potential one-on-one confrontations

they had a the roman centurian vs. indian rajput. rajput has some pretty awesome weapons. rajput won. obviously in a battle a legion would butcher a collection of rajput. no comparison. but you can see how in a one-on-one situation the rajput may win

jetssuck likes this.
  2. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Actually they also do groups like CIA vs. KGB, IRA vs.Taliban, etc.

I like the show b/c I get to learn about different weapons and warriors, but I think some of the weapon comparisons and conclusions (among other things) are unrealistic.

Alex44 likes this.
  3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I really don't like the show sometimes because the way it shows battle is really unrealistic.

For example they had ninja vs Spartan. The ninja ran straight up to him to engage in close combat in an open field.

That makes absolutely no sense. Some episodes are good however, but I dont think its any more or less realistic than a simulation in Madden.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Pretty pretentious show. In a word: Disappointing.

5. Zeke0123

Zeke0123 message board ******* Club Member

Nov 22, 2007
    It's usually very interesting up until the actual "fight" if I catch it I watch it.

6. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    yeah. its not very accurate and its end battle sequences dont really make any sense. but watching the old weapons in display is worth a watch.

pretty good for a show on spike. i would expect something like this on discovery or history

Alex44 likes this.
  7. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Its the 2nd season, and its already running thin on entertainment value.....lots of repeating what it has showed you as it exits to commercial and when it returns from commercial.

Watching it via DVR and fast forwarding to end state makes it far more enjoyable...but barely as the "who wins" doesnt always take into account legit strategy.

Baddest weapon in season 1 was the Projectile Knife that the Russian Spetsnaz used. In season two, the deadliest sword ever (the Kilij) is the one used by Vlad the Impaler. Goes through the body like butter in one swing.

That said, yes the show is basically a train-wreck of what it started as and basically flawed in who it pits vs. each other especially when centuries separate them (or Iron Age, or Gun Powder, etc, etc, etc).

to me the worst one was the English Knight vs. Caribbean Pirate (Season 1). In that one, the Pirate won because it tossed sand in the Knights face/eyes (near the beach - on foot..LOL) and lifted up the Knights headsheild to shoot a musket ball at point blank range.....see he would have had to lift the mask cause demonstration showed the musket wouldn't have ever pierced the armor....hahahahahahaha.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This show is an insult to the scientific method. Their testing methods are ridiculous. They basically "measure" (I use this term very loosely) the deadly striking force of say, two melee weapons and use this information to form their entire conclusions regarding two warriors (note: not the warriors themselves, just their weapons). Be honest and call this show "Deadliest Weapon". Not only that, but the fact that they use the same dummy to test two different weapons while arbitrarily hacking at said dummy completely ignores any/all objective methods of data collection/study. No lie, their "simulaton software developed by Slytherin Studios" looks like OpenOffice Calc; not fooling anyone.

I would have enjoyed the show more if they'd just been honest with us instead of shoving the faux scientists down our throat. The "trauma expert" is most likely just some dude off the street in a labcoat. Do you really have to "examine" the trauma around a severed head to see whether or not this is a deadly blow? Not to mention that 90% of their "analyses" can be basically summed up to "Ooh!", "Wow! Did you see that?", "That is a deadly weapon", and "Yeah, he's dead".

I won't even bother going into just how bad the actual fights are.

Also, if the narrator died in a fiery car crash tomorrow, I could care less because that would mean we don't have to listen to that annoying voice delivering some of the worst lines ever written for a narrator.

Having said that, for what it is, Deadliest Warrior is an entertaining show; the hack-n-slash nature of the program is fitting for Spike. Action is what we want and it delivers, in that respect. Just wish they would stop insulting their audience's intelligence.

Alex44 likes this.
  9. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Isn't the narrator the guy who narrated 300?

10. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i agree and i think it does sort of try to explain itself. its focus is very narrow. take a given class of fighter. measure the killing power of their weapons. compare it to another and simulate the results

its strictly for entertainment purposes and for that i like it