1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Cap Space 2014-2018

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Interesting table.

Miami towards the top.... Although there are perennially good and bad teams at both the top and bottom of this list.

It reminds me of a discussion about the cap that I had in my own head a while back. I may have posted something about it on here. That is, that while the cap is essential for the league, in the cases of injured players or even bad trades away, I think teams should be required to apply the cap only to active players. To clarify, if you have people you have to play who can't play for the team, you can make their payments without it affecting the cap.

I think that's more true to the notion of the cap - while helping to ensure teams aren't crippled competitively by it. I still think that's the case.

2. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Too much dead cap. An unfortunate of consequence of signing expensive free agents who don't work out.

mlb1399 likes this.
  3. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    We're going in the right direction though. This is the result of previous mistakes, not current ones.

mlb1399 likes this.
  4. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Its something that certainly doesnt prevent you from being successful with strong drafting but certainly stacks the odds.

5. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    New Orleans has been pushing cap hits forward for years, to build the best team they could while they have Brees. Combine that with hitting it big on a draft class and you get what we've seen this year.

If Miami had an elite QB again, I'd be fine with all the cap games to help that QB succeed. Sure, you eventually get a bad year as you finally eat that dead cap, but if you win a Super Bowl along the way (or at least have a shot most years) then it's hard to complain too much.

The lesson here for Miami is that getting a guy like Suh is only a good idea if you are ready to make that championship push (like the Rams -go figure) but they won't come in and solve your other issues (unless you are getting Aaron Rodgers -and even he needs some help).

Galant likes this.
  6. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Bad scouting and management. Far too many bad choices. I like free agency, but you have to get it right. The fins often don't. Add that to their failures in the draft, and you end up where we are.

Phins_to_Win likes this.