1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DE

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by gcd960, Mar 24, 2013.

1. gcd960

gcd960 Junior Member

Mar 26, 2008
    People will bang the tables saying CB is our biggest need but I see DE as the biggest position to fill.

Wake is by himself and has been for a few years now. We need to stop drives more then defend against them. A better pass rush makes the secondary better.

How many teams in front of us are in need of a DE?

What are the chances Werner makes it to 12?

Fin D likes this.
  2. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Jacksonville, Philly, Cards, Jets, and Lions could all use DEs. Werner will definitely slide to 12. He didn't test well at the combine, and I think his pro-day was off. That said because of those things I wouldn't take him at 12 either. I'd like the Dolphins to take a risk and draft the better DE from FSU, Cornelius "Tank" Carradine. If not for the injury, he would be at the top of all draft boards.

3. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I think that the DE issue is more aptly described as a pass rushing issue, getting someone opposite Wake to get some heat on the QB. My thought has been, is that a DE issue or a DE/OLB issue? Apparently Ireland was thinking that as well, because although Misi and Burnett played well, they weren't threats off the edge. Now Wheeler is there replacing Burnett, Ellerbee replaces Dansby or maybe Misi, with Misi bumping inside.

Also, Odrick is supposed to lose 20 lbs. and that will help his quickness and pass rush. Odrick is underrated imo, and if he in fact gets quicker and the new LBs can generate more of a pass rush opposite Wake, the need to draft a DE is significantly diminished imo. One question is what to do about Olivier Vernon, given that he's a smaller DE in the Wake mold but not a good pass rusher. Derrick Shelby better step up as well, I would think.

But we still need quality pass rushers, and at DE I would look hard at Corey Lemonier and Devin Taylor. I'm higher on Margus Hunt than some as a huge and fast edge rusher, and Tank Carradine should certainly be considered in the 2nd rd, some would say the 1st. Damontre Moore certainly fell after a lousy combine, and he'll probably go late 1st to mid 2nd, I'd consider him in the 2nd rd. Mingo scares me with bust potential, and Jarvis Jones is to me a difficult prospect to scout, but certainly productive.
    I've tried hard to become a fan of Cornelious Washington, and I just can't do it so far, I see a lot of Tarzan/Jane going on there, but maybe a good coaching staff can get him in the right direction, beats me.

Werner is not the fastest or most agile guy in the world, but imo he has an outstanding first step and bottom line he's a good player who can get after the QB. If Werner fell to #12 I would certainly consider him. Also, what if Wake got injured, who replaces him? As to DE's that we might draft, I'd be comfortable with Werner or Lemonier in that role. Another interesting DE prospect is David Bass from Missouri Western St. Sam Montgomery from LSU is solid but not spectacular, and a guy who actually fits the mold is Alex Okafor, darned good player who has one main flaw- speed. he's just not particularly fast or explosive, but nonetheless he;s a good pass rsher and a good football player, bottom line.

MrClean and Da 'Fins like this.
  4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Defensive end is more of a luxury than popularly seen around here I believe. They might turn over stones for veteran free agents, but I think it's pretty unlikely they draft what will essentially be a Nickel DE at #12 and make it hard for Olivier Vernon to contribute after a single year.

If there was a clear example of a guy who could reasonably be a full-time guy in Odrick's role it would be different, but I don't think there is anyone in this draft.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    If you want a better and more athletic Odrick, a 3/4 run stopping DE with more athletic ability, then you look at Ansah, and that isn't a fit for us imo. I hate to keep banging the same drum, but Ansah just isn't a pass rusher. He's extremely athletcic, maybe he can become one, but as a straight up beat the OT pass rusher Odrick is better than Ansah. Ansah certainly can track players down at the LOS, but so can Damontre Moore and William Gholston. The best I've seen in that regard is a LB, Alec Ogletree. I'm not trying to bash Ansah, I just do not see him as a fit for what we need on this defense.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Sheldon Richardson would be a great addition if the staff knows their not going to sign Starks next year, I think he has the versatility and athleticism to dominate at def end.

7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I disagree heavily that Ansah has no ability to develop a pass rush repertoire as you try to make it out to seem. It seems you forget he was a beast in the Senior Bowl against top competition. Who cares if his pressure doesn't come via running the arc; he gets pressure, and that's all that matters. He's by far a finished product, Jim. The underlying ability is there to become a top NFL pass rusher. However, it's besides the point b/c he wont make it to #12.

8. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    You have to actually read my post- as to becoming an actual, straight up bend the arc pass rusher I said, and I quote, "maybe he can become one". Somehow from that you derive that I'm saying that he "has no ability to develop a pass rush repertoire as you try to make it out to seem." That's some head scratching logic you've got going on there. He was lousy during Senior Bowl practices all week and saved himself in the game, to his credit, with at least one of the sacks on a garbage time busted play. He is simply a lousy pass rusher and had all of 4 1/2 sacks on the year for BYU against questionable competition. Great athlete, great story, but to me he's quickly become the most overrated player in the draft. On top of that he's just not a fit for what we need on defense, which is a great pass rusher. To me he's an interesting 3/4 DE candidate who can play the run and use his athletic ability to track down players at the LOS and if he were available with our second 2nd rd pick I don't know if I'd want him there, I'd draft Menelik Watson over him in a heartbeat. I'm just not a fan, you are, and there you have it.

9. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I missed it (was out of town and had two other things taping at the same time), so I didn't see the SR Bowl. I did hear he did will in the game. And, there may have been reports that he did well otherwise, but when Kiper and McShay were talking about Ansah today, Kiper said that while he did well in the game he was generally handled and didn't flash during the practices that week. That may be in conflict. I really don't know.

But, he certainly has the talent, I think.

10. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    (Posted in draft thread in mains) - but thought it would go well here in the DE spot thread:

Soooo.... I found this to be an interesting argument by Daniel Jeremiah in a debate over Dion Jordan and Jarvis Jones as to who is the better DE prospect:

Don't flame me - not making an argument here. Just found it a rather interesting argument and thought I'd share. At best, it seems, it is often difficult to correlate college production and pro success.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  11. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    He was in thinking mode during practice b/c it was a learning experience for him, as he was being coached up by the NFL guys so I think he was trying to work on applying what he was learning; however, during the game he went into natural mode and simply used the minimal stuff he already knew, and even with his minimal repertoire he was still a beast. With his natural power & twitchiness he should be able to develop strong rip & swim moves, has the athleticism & coordination to develop a quality inside move & spin, and possesses more than enough strength, speed, and leverage to effectively convert speed to power. Plus he has the intelligence to likely learn how to set up tackles. I can easily see him being a 10+ sack guy on top of all the passes he breaks up, which in essence are like a sack w/o the lost yardage.