1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD-WRT firmware upgrade for wireless routers.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by BuckeyeKing, Aug 2, 2008.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
  2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Well according to Wikipedia this is a Linux only firmware. Basically if you don't have Linux I don't believe it will work. Now I wasn't able to pinpoint this as total fact but I did search around and this is the conclusion that seems to have the most consistency. You may want to look around some more but I believe this is only for Linux.

By the way learning a little about Linux wouldn't be a bad thing, so you could go that route and still use it.

Here is the Wikipedia link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd-wrt

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
    BuckeyeKing likes this.
  3. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks.

Damn linux.

If its Linux only I'm nt goin to try it.

4. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!

OK. For the uninformed who need to look around and read a bit.

EDIT: "Linux-based <> Linux-Only"

I haven't used this software before, but, it looks to me as if it's an open-source way to upgrade the firmware in your wireless router.

The first question you should ask yourself is, "Why would I want to be messing around with the firmware in my existing, working, wireless router?"

Is it going to improve something? Performance? Added security?
    What does the new firmware give me that I don't already have?

If you can't answer that second question, leave it alone.

Next: Is your router supported? There's a list on the site of supported routers. Need to check it first before even thinking of downloading it.

Windows or Linux doesn't matter. It's for your router.

If your router is working well. Leave it alone!

From http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT?:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
    BuckeyeKing and sking29 like this.
  5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    DD-WRT rocks. I'm running a wrt150n router with it. It gives you so much more features than the standard firmware. You don't have to have a linux computer to use it, it's linux based software for the router.

Don't do it if you don't know what you're doing though or you'll end up with a brick.

TokyoFishFan, BuckeyeKing and sking29 like this.
  6. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Like I said earlier I wasn't sure if it was Linux only, so thanks for clearing that up.

I was wrong you guys are right. :yes:

7. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks I don't plan on using it now :lol:

I asked because wasn't getting great signals from across the house.

8. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Hey if your problem is just a weak signal there are some cheap signal boosters you can get online. One of which is free it is called the Wind Surfer. I used it on my linksys router in the upstairs portion of my house and got a usual 10%-20% boost on my PS3 (which is what I use it for). So this thing is free, people love it, and it does work. You have to tweak it a little to get the signal just right but if I can do it, you can.

Here is the link to the the antennae:
    http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Here is a YouTube-ish link detailing how to put it together:
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/300405/free_wifi_booster/

Basically you will just need some glue (stick is best-I found), then some tinfoil, the template (which is the first link I gave-they are at the bottom of the page and are all you need from that link), some scissors, and its also best to get like a manila envelope or like a folder. I believe that is it. It will take you like 30 mins total and you should see a signal boost.

If I jumped the gun and you don't just need a signal boost then maybe this can help someone else.

Here is a pic of the finished product:
    [​IMG]

TokyoFishFan and BuckeyeKing like this.
  9. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    What sort of router do you have? Is it an "N" router? They work better in bigger houses with multiple floors.

Simply repositioning it to a different spot in the house could help.

The Windsurfer idea is cute--not sure how much of a boost you'd get from that.

This might help as well:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesstips.mspx

Good luck!

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  10. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I personally went from around a 65% to 75% signal to a steady 85% to 90% between floors with the windsurfer. However I do use Wireless N. Just an idea. :up:

11. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
  12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    DD-WRT isn't an upgrade. It's a replacement for the official firmware that Linksys provides by default. If you don't know what you're doing, don't even try to install it.

Besides, if your issue is weak signal strength throughout your house, then new firmware isn't going to fix that. Your issue is signal interference.

Couple of things you'll want to think about doing:

• put the router and your cable/DSL modem on your second floor if you have one and if you have the appropriate wiring up there, as it's easier to get a stronger signal underneath the router than it is from above;
    • make sure your router isn't in a room with signal sinks, meaning microwave ovens or metal wall fixtures--keep the router as far away from your kitchen as you can;
    • if you've got laptop(s) made in the past year or so, consider buying a wireless N router, as the N standard improves signal range and strength as well as connection speed, and is backwards compatible with the previous A, B, and G standards (wireless N cards are available for desktop PCs as well);
    • go into your router's firmware and change the signal channel, or set it to automatic if possible;
    • lastly, make sure your cordless phones aren't interfering with your router's signal. A, B, and G wireless signals use the 2.4Ghz spectrum, while N uses the roomier 5.8Ghz spectrum. It's generally best to have 5.8Ghz cordless phones, even if you have an N router, as there's enough space in the 5.8Ghz spectrum to prevent interference as long as the devices aren't using the same channel.

DD-WRT is not a solution to weak wireless signals. It's a solution to what some (geeks) see as inadequate factory firmware. That said, make sure your router has the latest official firmware.

13. TokyoFishFan

TokyoFishFan New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Tokyo!
    Looks like a nice little router.

I have a WRT300N v1.1. Mine works ok but sometimes is a little fussy if I mix and match equipment.

I assume you're already looking at the links sent previously and working out details to get your machine closer.

My router sits downstairs and my wife can take her laptop upstairs and still get decent reception. Of course, we live in a wood frame house with thin walls. If you've got foil-lined insulation in your walls, that can create problems with the signals getting through the walls.

The directional thing might help you, but, then again, it depends on how your home is set up.

14. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah I changed the frequency on it. Don't have great strength but its still good.