1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davone Bess "most dynamic WR on the roster this season?"

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Styla, Jul 6, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...t-dolphin-will-you-be-focusing-on-next-month/

But ofcourse :up:

Some other good news in the article as well.Enjoy :yes:

Edit: didn't really want to add a ?, seeing on how it's no question that Bess will, but for the sake of the article I did.

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I think he already is the most dynamic receiver on the team.

He may never be dominant at any one thing. But can already do just about everything. He'll need to continue to work on beating NFL press and hopefully develop some more speed. But the guy can get open. He catches almost everything and he's reliable on returns. And he's a clutch player to boot.

Bess was a homerun acquisition last year and we'll continue seeing returns this year.

3. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    muck is right on target ... and that is a danger to camarillo ....

4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You just defined Dynamicvery well brother :hi5:

The short-comings you point out about Bess are the same ones often said about another sleeper. That kid Rice that used to play for the Fruity-niners was often referred to as not fast enough :up:

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Rice had a special gear that just didn't show up in combine.

Bess is fast enough to be an NFL reciever, however he hasn't shown that special gear that Rice had.

6. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    listening to Sirius' movin the chains tim ryan said he thought davone would have a breakout year this year.davone, ryan says is" by far the best route runner on the team".he and pat kirwin are also high on patrick turner, for what its worth.

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yeah, don't get me wrong! I am NOT saying Bess is Rice, just pointing out that people also found knocks against perhaps the best WR to ever suit up

Hell, if Bess could put up 1/2 of Jerry's numbers, I would be one very happy camper.

Also, teams are going to have to start paying attention to Bess, which of course is great news for Ginn :up:

8. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Man, the more I hear on this guy, the more I like this player. I hope he continues to get better and better. I hope that defense don't have an answer for him ever.

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Maybe, maybe not.

I don't know much about anything. But I was not at all surprised by what Camarillo did last year. He's a good player who I think would not be in the conversation of 'bubble' had it not been for the knee injury. I think he's on the PUP at worst, but will make the team regardless.

But as to who starts, which I realize is what you were getting at, the Dolphins might be averse to starting two guys under 6-0 not named 'Duper' or 'Clayton'. Personally, I think we'll see a platoon at the position altogether. One guy might 'start', but four guys will see heavy action each week. Much like last year, there were plenty of plays where the single wide receiver on the field wasn't Ted Ginn.

We may or may not end up with a star at the position, but it appears we could be pretty doggone deep. And that speaks to the overall level of talent on the roster. You don't necessarily need a star. You just need someone, and it can be multiple guys, who makes plays when necessary.

The Patriots won three titles with WHO at WR?

We've got our Troy Brown IMO. However, you do need veterans. Chad Pennington was great for us, but he's not Tom Brady. Beyond Ernest Wilford, who has moved to TE, Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo are our senior WR's. Contrast that with what the Bucs won with in 2002. (Keyshawn, McCardell, Juravicious). There's not much speed there. Just big, capable veterans. And a defense that could carry them.

Indeed. He was the best route runner on our team the day he signed his UDFA contract. And he's apparently gotten his body ripped up this offseason. Hopefully the work will translate into even greater strength and athleticism.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Actually its funny, I'm a HUGE Jerry Rice fan. I mean he's one of my top 3 favorite players all time. I've never made the comparison, but they are similar in a few ways now that I think of it.

11. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    They have assembled a talented group of receivers. Maybe there is not a franchise receiver or a superstar in the bunch but they certainly present a very capable lineup.
    We finally got the big receiver everyone has been wanting and I think he will be fun to watch. Wouldn't it be nice for Ronnie Brown and Ted Ginn to have a breakout year?
    Whatever is said about the Dolphins, our drafts are definitely improved but thats JMO.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The guys a ninja robot playin ball. I love to watch him practice.

13. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If Ginn takes the next step he could be one of the more dynamic receivers in the league. I love Bess but I'm not sure he can match Ginn's raw talent.

Anonymous likes this.
  14. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think Ginn will become the most dangerous when Henne becomes our QB and I think Turner will be the most dangerous until that time

15. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I agree with the OP, D Bess has that drive to be a really special player in the NFL, a player has it, or they don't, when the Ravens were stomping us in the playoff game last season, Bess was the one guy who still made plays, to me that speaks volumes about the sort of player and person that he is.

Here is a move that we have not seen from Bess in the NFL as of yet:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwzDoyXZAQc&feature=related"]YouTube - Davone Bess TD FLIP[/ame]

D Bess at mini camp last season:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Sd3_Eiyz0&feature=related"]YouTube - Davone Bess @ Miami Dolphins camp[/ame]

Funny thing was, I thought his old HI Wr partner D Rivers would make it in the NFL, turned out to be Bess, who IMO runs like Marion Barber's mini me...:lol:

Puka-head likes this.
  16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    next to steve smith, hes right there for best jailbreak screen executioner. so good at that play.

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    ok. I might as well be the one wearing the black hat on this thread. I think Bess looked solid but I didnt see anything that made me think he was going to be a superstar. An effective slot receiver yes but thats a long way from being a game changer

18. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I think Bess has more fundamental skills, game smarts and a drive that I saw over and over again digging for yards and getting what he needed.

I'll take that over raw speed any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ginn has Speed over Bess.

Bess has everything else over Ginn.

And to top it off while Ginn is faster Bess does a better job getting open.

19. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i'll be the thread hijacker if your wearin the black hat... If he becomes as good as welker is, hes a star. It seems like the talent is there, we'll find out for sure this year.

20. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Not to take away from the Bess love in any way, but WR is the least of our problems. The article asked what we would be looking for in TC, where the biggest storyline is and to me this is it:
    We'll find out really quick if our secondary improved this offseason. If not, this is going to be a LONG year.

21. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I see more in Bess than I saw in Welker his first year here. And I liked Welker as a rookie in SD. I had scouted Welker and I talked him up when we signed him. I thought he had a great feel for getting open and good hands. I thought he had the potential to be a very good slot WR. I didn't and still don't think he could be a #2 WR.

I think Bess has the same feel and hands. I think Bess can be a very good slot WR as well but he also can be a decent #2.

22. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Is Wes Welker the most dynamic WR on the Pats?

23. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    My defeniton of dynamic seems to be different than everyone elses. When I think of dynamic Wide Receivers, I think of a receiver that can take a 10 yard pass 60 yards with his speed. When I think of a dynamic Wide Receiver, I think of a receiver that can beat any corner back deep with his speed, then take it all the way. Ted Ginn Jr. could be our most dynamic wide receiver on our roster.

However, Davone Bess is still the better wide receiver. He does everything so well. I love his game.

Stitches and HULKFish like this.
  24. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Bess is IMO another version of Welker and reminds me of Wayne Chrebet of the Jets, I don't know about how you define dynamic, but I do know we are a MUCH better team with Bess in the lineup.

HULKFish and cnc66 like this.
  25. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Bess is very Solid but I agree with the sentiment that doesn't equal "Dynamic". He is a VERY good replacement for Welker, maybe even more than Camarillo. If Ginn doesn't show his true potential through TC and the preseason he could end up being #3 or even 4 if Turner looks really good...

The other thing about the staff that I love is that in evaluation even if you aren't spectacular you better be consistent or you're gone! To me though Cam has shown a little more speed than Bess and that will end up being the difference unless Cam has a set-back.

26. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    by the end of the season, Bess was our most reliable WR ... so not sure how they are going to keep him off the field this year.

i really like Cam, the prospects of Turner and Marion, and the speed that Ginn brings ...

competition is good -- Bess, Cam and Hartline can all push each other ... i see only 2 of these making the roster (which is why i believe that Cam is in some danger of being traded - unless Hartline strangely goes to the PS) and Marion, once fully healed can push Ginn (which is why this year is very important to Ginn in MIA)

if everyone were to pan out and we all know it rarely does -- i see a future of Marion, Bess, Turner and Hartline in '10 and beyond.

27. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't see how Bess is the better receiver when Ginn averages 3 yards more per catch. Ginn is the one drawing safetys while Bess is drawing nickle corners and working underneath. Bess is definitely our Wes Welker. That doesn't make him better than our Randy Moss, which is Ginn.

I can see Ginn playing the Welker/Bess role. He might not be quite as good at it. But I think he would be better at doing what they do than they would be at his job. This doesn't really matter since our offense isn't about #1s and #2s. But I would hate to see this offense without Ginn doing what he does. While we have already shown that we can replace Wes Welker.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  28. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Sorry, but to date Ginn hasn't even been Sinorice Moss much less Randy

29. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Ginn = goat

Bess = Pariah

Fans do this all of the time. They tend to choose players that no matter how well he does they can find nothing but faults and choose players who they like to put on pedistals.

Right now Ginn is the "can't do enough right" and Bess is the "better than he actually is" player.

Even shown in threads where Bess is praised people will go out of their way to diss Ginn.

30. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Sinorice Moss? The guy that has like 400 yards receiving in his 4 year career?

Sorry Kenny, but that statement is about as laughable as it gets.

31. DevilFin13

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm saying his role in our offense is similar to that of Randy Moss's role in NE's offense while Bess is our Welker. Welker gets a ton of catches while Moss draws the coverage and makes plays downfield. Bess got a ton of catches while Ginn drew the coverage and made plays downfield.

32. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    My way of looking at it Ginn is an underachiever Bess is an overachiever. I think they will continue these divergent paths. I'm not a football expert, just judging from what I see on the field.

I sincerely hope that Ginn has a monster season next year, but I'm not optimistic that it's going to happen. I feel come the end of this season Bess will have better numbers than Ginn and will be a much more complete, polished receiver.

33. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Really Mat? Even more laughable than comparing Ginn to Randy Moss?

Seriously, everybody knows I am one of the biggest Ginn bashers in here, but I have already admitted that I might be premature in my judgement, but if things keep going like they did last year, I easilyu see Bess eclipsing Ginn by HIS third year :up:

34. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Dude, no offense.. Sinorice Moss is averaging like 125 yards per season... That's a complete joke.

Ted Ginn has 790 yards this past season in his second year. Pretty much doubling someone's four year career in one season is what he did. How you feel think that Ginn shouldn't be in the same breath as him, is beyond me.

I think it's very fair to compare Ginn's role to Moss' role. NO ONE is saying Ginn is nearly as good as Moss. Moss is in a league of his own. But to say Ginn draws the deeper routes and keep safeties over the top to avoid the big play like Moss to free up Bess on the underneath routes similar to Welker in New England is fair IMO.

Maybe Bess eclipses Ginn next season, maybe not. It all depends on how he gets his yards. Wes Welker had more receiving yards than Randy Moss, but Moss averages about 4 more yards per catch. Ted Ginn also averaged 4 more yards per catch than Bess... Hmmm, do I see a similarity in these two duos' ROLES?

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    How is Ginn an underachiever?

The way it is is that Bess is a polished reciever and Ginn is more of a rough reciever.

Ginn is learning what Bess already knows and was still able to be a big part of our offense last year. He was drafted as early as he was because he is a decent reciever with monster talent. Monster talent generally gets drafted high. Bess went undrafted because he played in a type of offense that people didn't really give him the credit he was due and he just isn't as athletic.

I do feel that Bess might have more receptions than Ginn, however I do not believe that makes him a better reciever than Ginn. Without Ginn's ability to scare people deep, Bess would not have as much success. If Ginn develops more into being a better reciever then it will open up Bess even more.

36. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Dol-Fan Dupree is spot on with his assessment of Ginn and Bess.

37. PHINANALYST

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i liken this to roles and who is better at their perceived role ...

as an undrafted rookie, Bess would seemed to have excelled in his

as a 2nd year player, Ginn was still wrestling with his

you can't compare them head to head, but of course we will ... so, when you compare a perceived success story vs a moderate success story at best -- Bess would seem to garner more praise ... which he does - and rightly deserves. He was overlooked, under-rated and he came in here and performed when given the chance ... a clearly different tale than Ginn, albeit - not necessarily his fault. Ginn was expected to perform.

this will truly be the year after which Ginn can be judged, why - because as Bess improves (maybe with Cam), and Turner becomes relevent, it should open up Ginn to produce. yes, there will always be the fall back argument - CP can't reach him ... but we will know what Ginn is by the end of this year.

i have said and maintain that he is very much like Glenn ... a solid #2, but we don't want to start that discussion either ...

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not care if he is only a "soilid #2". It is debatable that something like solid #2 reciever actually exists in the NFL. It exists in NFL discussions.

All that matters to me is he improves on what he does last year and continues to be a player that scares the defense to keeping a safty deep, which opens up an offense. Helping Pennigton do, what he is good at doing and allowing Bess to get open underneath easier.

39. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Very very good post :up:

40. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I would say that is Mr. Moss.