1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Davone Bess goes from prison to rising star

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by calphin, Dec 19, 2008.

1. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

If the times have you down, if you need a little spark, here's some advice: Go see Davone Bess play football this weekend. That's it. Just watch him line up at receiver for the Dolphins.

Because no matter what kind of holiday story the Dolphins write in the next few games, it won't be better than the one Bess already has. Eight months ago, when Bess clicked off the television at the end of the NFL Draft, his named hadn't been called over two days, seven rounds and 252 picks,

"I said, 'I guess I'll have to do what I always have,'" he said.

Which is?

Great story:up:

Dolphins' Davone Bess takes unlikely road to NFL -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Yep.

calphin likes this.
  3. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    im glad all those sucka's turn down Bess. our gain, their loss.

things like this makes a player better due to him having to worker harder and having the drive to succeed. i would always want a lesser talent guy with drive & work ethic to become better over a superstar that has no will to be better.

Rocky Raccoon and calphin like this.
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    We're a haven for undrafted WRs. "what about welker." what bout him. Screw Welker! :D

Damn the draft advisory board missed badly. Our gain. I thought Miami sought the kid out, but it appears the kid and his agent made a beeline for us. Nice!

calphin likes this.
  5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    wow I had no idea what he went through growing up. Good to see him be able to overcome it and make a name for himself.

calphin likes this.
  6. Timmy54

Timmy54 New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    great story, glad to have quality guys on our team.

calphin likes this.
  7. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

What should we expect from Bess next season?

Is Bess gonna be further along than Ginn?

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Bess may be further along than Ginn right now and that's sad to say considering the rounds they were selected in.

sking29 and calphin like this.
  9. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
  10. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not really. We all knew Ginn was very raw coming out. It's gonna take him longer to adapt to the NFL. Bess, however, was the number 1 receiver in a very pass happy offense and was much better off coming out.

calphin likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's a good point and I agree. However, my main point was that we invested big money and the highest possible draft choice for a guy that is just as good as the undrafted free agent on our team. Point being that it may not have been the right choice and I want to emphasize the word may.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    yea, I just think a lot of fans are WAY to impatient with players and they don't see the facts, just the stats (not talking about you, just some fans in general).

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I completely agree. Its going to take time for a young player to adjust to the next level. It takes longer for others. Its still early in Ginn's career to label him anything in my opinion.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  14. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    very nice.

15. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Ginns regressed but he's still better. Bess regressed too. Only 25 yards. oh noes!

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'm not sure how he's better. I don't know why everyone keeps saying he's regressed. He's had two poor games, its not like he's been awful this whole year. Just two weeks ago, everybody was praising him for another good performance. He goes quiet for two games and he's regressed? If anything, I think he's had some concentration issues it seems but I wouldn't say he's regressed. He's made progress since last year, he's not going to have a solid game every Sunday and I know you know that jdang.

Same goes with Bess. He had 25 yards last week and he's regressed? The week before, against Buffalo, everyone was praising him for how good he has looked.

EDIT: I just caught the "oh noes!" I'm not sure if your implying that the reason I said Bess was further along than Ginn was because of his last two games. If you are, then no I'm not.

sking29 likes this.
  17. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I can't believe I am going to say this but I agree with Alen on this one.

The one thing I would add Alen is that Ginn is afraid of getting hit and that causes him to miss out on opportunities. If Ginn had the courage to get hit like Bess or yes Wes Welker with his speed and elusiveness he could make huge plays. Ginn also seems to be still a little weak running routes. Both reasons that I've mentioned Pennington has called him out for this season on the sidelines. If he doesn't correct these problems I think he will be a good WR for the Fins but never a great especially if he isn't willing to get hit.

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Absolutely agree. Forgot about him afraid of being hit. He has concentration lapses and he doesn't react well to the crowd (defenders). One thing that I continue to look at is the hit he took against the Broncos, in which he went up and got popped right in the mouth. If memory serves me right, when he took that hit, it was unexpected. Now, its almost as if he sees the defender coming and then just completely loses focus.

In reference to the route running, I think that goes back to what Rocky Racoon was saying, his rawness at the WR spot. I actually think he does a good job of running routes at this stage of his career but he can improve, as stated.

I also think that he needs to bulk up. The talk in the off-season was that he added somewhere in between ten to fifteen lbs. and I haven't seen it. He still looks the same out there to me, he lacks the lower body strength in my opinion.

I, honestly, never felt that he would be a great WR. He doesn't seem to have the makeup for a top notch wide receiver. I'm sure some will disagree with me here but I don't see it. We, including me, have all said that he could be our Santana Moss and I don't see that. Moss is confident in his game and despite his small frame, can haul in the passes in traffic. He doesn't have the concentration issues that I see in Ginn. He's a vertical threat as well and I can't say that Ginn isn't because he hasn't quite gotten the chance to be one so that remains a question, can he be that threat down field? That question may be answered in a couple years from now, with Henne starting or Ginn possibly being on a different team. In the end, I think Ginn can be a good number two but I'm not sure if he will be a number one down the road, hopefully I'm wrong.

sking29 likes this.
  19. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I agree with everything you said there Alen and to me it will always be his toughness that will kill him. That is why I think he can't ascend to that top tier WR status but of course that can be corrected but its doubtful as being scared of being hit is part of a person. I remember a year or so ago when I was watching a similar small fast WR named Steve Smith of the Carolina Panthers (maybe you have heard of him :wink2:). I believe it was a game against the Falcons and Smith went right down the middle of the field and just got crushed between two defenders. It was a terrible hit that actually sort of flipped him in the air but after being down for a couple of seconds he jumped to his feet (got up really quickly and cocky like actually) and just went back in the game. Also Welker gets crushed all the time (the Fins and Steelers games this year) and just keeps playing. The kind of toughness Smith and Welker show is what Ginn must have for a WR of his stature to succeed. He doesn't have the height of Moss or the pure size and strength of Fitzgerald. So toughness will be key for him.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I concur. However, I'm not so sure ones toughness can be fixed. It is something in the genes in my opinion. Steve Smith is the best wide receiver in the league in my opinion. He has great footwork, runs very good routes, toughness, hands, strength, everything you want from him on the field. Ginn has only one thing in common with Smith and that's their stature. It stops there in my opinion. I think that's a very good point about not having Moss's height nor the strength of Fitzgerald.