1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Martin waived

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CrunchTime, Dec 9, 2009.

1. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2009/12/dolphins-waive-david-martin-off-ir.html

Another surprising roster move considering the lack of production at the TE position and the fact that Martin was getting the job done before his injury and the YACs that we are lacking.

Obviously we are not getting the whole story ala the Roth situation.There are probably some contract and injury liability situation we dont know about.

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Might just be a classy move by the organization. If they know it's unlikely David figures into their long term plans, and that he really wants to play this year, releasing him now lets a contender pick him up for a play-off push, hopefully.

Better than him sitting the rest of the year out, then potentially getting cut in training camp without getting to audition his skills at all this season. This also let's him show the league his knee will be 100% by next year, if he can already play now.

Basically, no sense holding him hostage on our IR if he can go play.

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He's 30 and a free agent after the season. Odds are he wasn't coming back anyway.

They entertained an injury settlement when he originally got hurt, but I think they also didn't want him to sign with anyone else in the division and possibly harm us. Part of the problem was that Martin wanted a second opinion and the Dolphins wanted the roster spot pronto, their doctors advising he'd be out most of the season.

I still maintain that Martin was as big a loss to this team as any, possibly the biggest since we struggled so badly in the passing game for most of the season and Martin was a consistent, vertical threat in the middle of the field. TE is one of a young QB's best friends.

4. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    perfect timing for him to sign with tenn or houston to kill us :pity:

dolfan7171 and Bpk like this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    :-/ He used to make plays and hold on to the ball after taking some shots

6. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    More likely he goes to someone looking to make a playoff push. I don't know if the Cincinnati TE situation has improved over J.P. Foschi (who?) but that might as likely a landing place as any for Martin.

Much more than a losing team IMHO.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I just hope he goes far, far away to a team in the NFC WEST

Delfin Alejandro likes this.
  8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, the TE situation here in Cincinnati is pretty bleak. Daniel Coats and J.P. Foschi don't really scare anyone. Chase Coffman has been a healthy scratch all season as he's had trouble grasping the playbook and doesn't contribute on special teams. Martin could fit in pretty well with the Bengals.

9. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Our TE corps looks like it's starting to pick up the slack. Fasano had a pretty normal game last week, and Sperry had a decent game against the Jets I think it was?

Our TE corps isn't there yet, and sure Martin would have been useful, but how useful do you think he would have been throwing him into a system he hasn't practiced in, with a new QB this year, for 4 games, when we're making a playoff run?

I just don't see it being a winning investment, especially if he's in a contract year next year.

Eh well, what's done is done. I think the TE corps is going to be under the microscope in the offseason anyways. After the LBs and the WRs

SICK likes this.
  10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Our best TE

11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Is he a FA or must he clear waivers?

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    everything is "on the need to know basis" w/ the FrontOffice
    nothing new in the way they do business, totally consistent

13. M1NDCRlME

M1NDCRlME Fear The Spear

Oct 26, 2009
    Orlando
    With Owen Daniels out for the season I could see Houston grabbing him to fill the need during a playoff run.

14. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    mark me down as "not thrilled" about this move.

15. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I've always liked David Martin. I am sure the FO has a good argument for letting him go.