1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Hyde on the Green Message for Vontae and S. Smith

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 20, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...olphins-green-s082009sbaug20,0,4497966.column

Indeed Vontae, that doesn't happen in college, and that is the point HC Sparano was making for you.

ATVZ400 and Boik14 like this.
  2. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Hope this doesn't put any added pressure on the rookies. Especially for Sean Smith, since it seems like he's going to be our starter come week 1.

3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Did Green do that bad to be cut two weeks before any had to be done?

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ok, let me make a statement to start out with....

Green was cut because he wasn't playing up to where the staff thought he should have been as a total accumulation of his play thru the OTAs, minicamps and thus far in TC, including Monday's game with Jax. That's it...simple, dry, clear cut.

Now, did it serve as an object lesson to others on the team ?? Perhaps, perhaps not. Either way, lets not kid ourselves...you don't cut someone just to wake up others, you cut someone because they aren't doing the job. True that, in case you're wondering Vontae, this isn't Kansas (or Champaign, as it were), Toto....but the bottom line is that Green wasn't the guy they thought he'd be....

Aside from that, the writing is on the wall that Smith has certainly exceeded expectations for his first season and Jason Allen and Will Billingsley are playing and practicing lights out as well....there just wasn't room and unless there's an injury there wouldn't have been room for Green...

Vegas_Phin likes this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think it was a double jeopardy situation from E Green, he was not fitting in and they may have felt they had to wake Vontae and Sean Smith up a bit.

Functionally there are two preseason games left, in the large scheme of things a Vontae Davis's development is of the upmost importance, if that meant E Green was cut two weeks early to spur that development Sparano and Co. had no problem doing so.

gafinfan likes this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it was an excellent motivational move
    let them compete! :yes:

PhinsRock likes this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I hope it does put extra pressure on the rookies. It lets them know the second that they slip up there's someone waiting to grab their job. It lets them know that they better stay working hard all the time not just in games or when they know the coach is watching. It builds mental toughness or the player just falls by the waist-side....:up:

8. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They were going to cut Green anyway, but the timing of it (2 weeks before cuts need to be made) was a message designed to motivate the Rookies IMO.

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I dont read this as putting pressure on the rookies. I read this as validation that the coaching staff is pleased with the youth and feel safe in releasing a below average corner. This speaks well for our depth

HULKFish likes this.
  10. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Also it gives Green a better chance to get with a team that wants/needs him. So it was the best thing for Green as well as the Dolphins. Sending a message is fine, but this helped Green as well.

jetssuck likes this.
  11. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    well said... But you know NE or NY will pick him up for atleast a week or two to drill him on our playbook.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I like this move in every respect, most importantly it serves as a message that the new players (draft picks, UDFA's, and FA's) may not have fully understood yet, and the players from last year already knew: "work hard, smart and disciplined, and compete, or you WILL be gone".

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He already signed with the 49ers, which is good news.

14. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    really? great. glad he left our division! :up: