1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Garrard: Dolphins owner adds 'more fuel for me'

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by xphinfanx, May 23, 2012.

1. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
  2. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Old news

3. maddenking1234

maddenking1234 New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    that's just stupid, Ross just has an opinion that Matt Moore will earn the starting role (I would much rather see Tannehill). Not that he is better, I hate the fact that this won't be a fair chance for all based on what Matt has earned cause of last season.

4. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Ross is the owner but i don't believe he is calling who starts at QB this season. Should be open competition.

5. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Old as Published: May 23, 2012 at 07:09 p.m

Or old because you already knew Garrard wasn't starting?

6. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    I see nothing wrong with his comments. Moore did not do half bad and like he said, Hey if he develops. The guy is just giving his opinion. As far as Garrard goes, insurance thats all he was/is.

xphinfanx likes this.
  7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Unless anyone truly thinks Tannehill is the reincarnation of Ben Roethlisburger (15-1 Rookie season record), Dan Marino (9-2 Rookie season record) or even Matt Ryan (11-5 Rookie season record); why would you want to throw Tannehill to the wolves?

Sure the Colts did it with Peyton Manning in 1998, achieving a dismal record of 3-13. Granted they bounced back with a 13-3 record the following season but the COlts really didn't have another quarterback option in 1998.

The same thing happened to Cam Newton last year in Carolina. Although individually, Cam Newton's numbers were incredible, but the only stat that counts is the team's record, which was a dismal 3-13. Will Carolina be int he Super Bowl next year? Will they be a legitimate threat in the NFC next year?

The Broncos tossed Elway to wolves in 1983 which is probably the only real "success" story of the failures at starting a rookie quarterback, amassing a record of 9-7 and losing to Seattle in the playoffs.

The point being, unless you're willing to settle for a dismal record, starting your rookie quarterback is probably not going to bring you success, unless you're one of the "freaks of nature" listed above.

Between Moore, Garrard and Tannehill, we have a quarterback competition at such a level that regardless who our starter is (which I personally believe is going to be Matt Moore), the level and quality of play at the quarterback position itself is going to be such, that the Dolphins are going to be a sleeper in the NFL this season.

I just have this feeling...of course I could be wrong and if I am wrong, I'm not going to be disappointed but this season is the first season I've been excited in a long time.

xphinfanx and mullingan like this.
  8. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    He's a competitor. Competitive people, as well as most people, don't like to be told they can't do certain things. Nothing wrong with garrard wanting to start.

SICK, eltos_lightfoot, Tone_E and 2 others like this.
  9. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and I dare say David Garrard is going to play his *** off to try and win the starting position...and Matt Moore is going to play his *** off to try and be better than Garrard...and I dare say Ryan Tannehill will be trying to out gun the veterans to show he's better than Garrard or Moore both.

So who wins in the end? The Miami Dolphins win, that's who!!!! :up:

SICK, unluckyluciano and xphinfanx like this.
  10. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Carolina finished with the same record as us. If they improve on defense, yes they will be a threat. They were 6th in scoring.

I've mentioned this in other threads, I don't care who the QB is, I just want to win. We need more consistency on 3rd down and in the redzone. Would also be nice if our receivers held onto the ball. Garrard is a darkhorse. He's been out of the league for a bit but looked good before.

11. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Yeah... this is the first time in several dec.. er.. years.. that we have even had a hint of a suspicion that we may have a real quarterback competition, with a likely positive outcome, at this stage of the season. Most of the time we have had a 'decent' (as in one step above mediocre) starter with a backup who 'might' be a possibly barely sufficient substitute (Think Ray Lucas!) who could take a snap from center - after that - Look out for that tree! (DUM...! DUM...! DumDumDeeDum..Dum..!)

12. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I agree with Darlington's take on this, that the story should be more about how Ross is lowering expectation on Tannehill than disrespecting Garrand. If you watch Ross's face in the interview when Darlington mentions Garrad it almost as if he is like "Oh $heet, I forgot about him!"

[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/09000d5d8293f365/Moore-to-start-Week-1-for-Fins[/video]

ckparrothead likes this.
  13. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Garrard should take it as fuel, not b/c it was meant as an insult, but b/c Garrard is mostly an after-thought in the minds of the majority of the public. And that's about all that Ross' opinion reflects. I'm hoping he or Moore play well enough to keep Tannehill on the bench for most if not all of the season. While I have Tannehill as a better prospect than Ryan and probably Big Ben, I feel the better course of action is to have him sit at first.

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think he can win the job, his game is based on athletic precision, and this offense is based on quick precise execution, he really has good mechanics and footwork, and that precise QB athleticism gets his body in the right position to make plays with his arm and feet, and with that precision for which he plays the game, it could flourish in this quick tempo,quick release, movement style offense.

15. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I will be very surprised if David Garrard is not the Pins starting QB and Matt Moore hasn't been traded by opening day. Moore has no long-term value to the Dolphins. None. Players just don't suddenly 'get it' in their sixth season. The closer we get to opening day, the more Moore becomes a nuisance to the development of Ryan Tannehill, who is clearly the Dolphins future QB.

Having said that, David Garrard is simply a much better QB than Matt Moore. It's not even close, really. Unless Garrard is injured, Moore has very little chance against him, IMO.

16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ryan Fitzpatrick comes to mind.

17. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    IMO, saying Ryan Fitzpatrick 'gets it' is quite a stretch. By saying 'gets it', I mean 'becomes a quality starter.' Fitz is a starter, but not exactly a quality one.

Besides, even if you could make the argument that Fitz 'gets it,' he'd most definitely be the exception. I think we can all agree that late-bloomer QBs are extremely rare.

18. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Garrard taking it personally is more of a reflection of Garrard then Ross.

Moore is the incumbent. Garrard hasn't played in a year. Suck it up and play.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Garrard is only here in case we get a good offer for Moore, imo

Moore is still the better QB. Not by a ton, but a decent margin.

Garrard can have all the fuel in the world, but I can't see him staying healthy or impressing enough to keep Moore or Tannehill on the bench.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Personally, I semi prefer Garrard to Moore, imo he just fits the offense better.

let the best Qb win, I only hope Tannehill has a good preseason and training camp. But in the short term, Garrard is a .500 Qb with a 60% or better completion rate, his td to int ratio is not great but he can get the job done imo. I also like his mobility, a qb who can run well and throw well on the move is a problem for defenses.

Larry Little likes this.
  21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Garrard's battle will be to stay healthy. The football stuff is going to come easy to him and I expect he's going to look better than Matt Moore in practice as well as preseason. But he's got a very rough and tumble style and that's not good considering his recent medical history.

If there are even any hints of injury troubles that suggest he won't make it through regular season games at his age...they'll conclude the QB battle and declare Moore the winner.

When the Dolphins signed him I took a good long look at his last season of play. If he's healthy, in my opinion he is a better quarterback and a better fit for this offense compared with Matt Moore. I know a lot of people think of him as an afterthought and they just assume Moore is better, but I wonder how many of those people have actually sat down and critically watched some of Garrard's games from the 2010 season in order to come to that conclusion.

22. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    No Worries- Same Story on the 22nd as another poster had posted. it had a different title same info.

23. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Ross WANTS Tannehill to get the starting job. END OF! Whether he "expects" i don t know because Ross knows jack about football and coaching. When u pay and advertise for a product you expect it to perform. Whether Tannehill makes the grade is down to him 1st, our HC and the backroom staff. Ross is just the owner.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I agree with Ck on Garrard, if you look at his Wr corps in Jax, sims-walker had a good yr, then vanished, then he had Mercedes Lewis, otherwise they had jack for his time there. Consider Wilfork was his go to guy in that playoff game, he caught maybe 20 more passes for the rest of his career.

He did have MJD and Fred Taylor, but still.

25. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    All are entitled to their opinion but I must disagree with you. Alex Smith struggled throughout his five seasons until the 49ers hired Jim Harbaugh.

The word "fan" is derived from "fanatic" and the opinions of fans are often based on emotions rather than facts and logic. This is not intended to belittle you in your opinion of Matt Moore, but to merely point out you over look one very important fact...the coaching staff.

For the longest time I've been of the minority who believes the most important player on your team is not the quarterback, but the head coach. I used Alex Smith as an example of a quarterback who contradicts your premise of a quarterback "not getting it in his 6th season". Alex Smith was a college stud when he was drafted by the 49ers in 2005 who only struggled under the tutilege of Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary as his head coaches until the 49ers hired Jim Harbaugh. We all saw the result of that hire. Alex Smith demonstrated why he was drafted number one in the league.

I dare say, you take some of the greatest quarterbacks of the game and in their early years place them with medicore head coaches and then tell me they would still have been great quarterbacks...
    -Dan Marino, John Elway or Jim Kelly with John McKay as their head coach. Would you really argue they would still be some of the game's all time greats?
    -Peyton Manning with Dave Wannstedt as his head coach. Would you really argue he would still be one of the all time greats?
    -Brett Favre with Chick Knox as his head coach. Would you really argue he would still be one of the all time greats?

Yes for those who argue the quarterback is more important than the head coach, tell me how Tom Brady's career would have turned out had the Cleveland Browns drafted him in the 6th round under the head coaching of Chris Palmer.

I dare say most of us were calling for Tony Sparano's head on a pike, to be placed at the entrance of Dolphins Stadium as a warning to what happens to poor coaching. Does anyone here realy truly believe the result of our team would be any different had the Dolphins drafted Matt Ryan under the guidance of Tony Sparano?

Joe Philbin and his staff have brought a fire to the Dolphins organization not seen in years. Matt Moore and David Garrard, veteran quarterbacks who demonstrated promise of greatness yet lacked proper guidance. Ryan Tannehill, a rookie who shows promise despite the extensive experience of quarterbacking at the college level. Like Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco with Alex Smith, expect to see the same level of elevation in the play at our quarterback position, regardless if his name is Moore, Garrard or Tannehill.

Coaching makes the quarterback, not the other way around and I dare say, should Moore be the starter as I believe he will, you're going to be pleasantly surprised at the product you see on the field this season.