1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dave Hyde's take on Bill Polian's Team Building Plan

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan22, Sep 12, 2012.

1. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

MonstBlitz likes this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Going by that, Bill Polian's teams were never well built. He lacked all but two of those things.

3. dolfan22

Super Bowl appearances?

4. dolfan22

So his teams only had 2 of those listed points? Buffalo didn't have what then?

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Great read, thanks for sharing! I especially liked where Hyde mentioned Polian has built successful teams in both the NFL of yesterday and today's pass happy league instead of trying to build 1985 teams like Parcells and Ireland are want to do.

I'd love for Polian to be the next GM of the Miami Dolphins. I'm not sure if he wants the job or if it would be offered to him, but his track record is undeniable. Yes he deserves blame for the collapse of the Colts last year, but I'll take a GM who has built superbowl teams but made some mistakes over a guy who has no track record.

dolfan22 likes this.
  6. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'd give him more credit, he had 3 out of 5. When Indy peaked, they had some defense built around Freeney, Mathis and McFarland up front and Bob Sanders in the backfield.
    Buffalo had a very good defense and offense.

Polian's problem isn't building the team, it's keeping it competitive. the last few years, Indy turned completely one-sided.

7. dolfan22

He want's the job imo and is being very ....visible.

8. dolfan22

I would take that .

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Huh?

Manning gets hurt and a Polian built team gets 2 wins. That means he rode Manning's ability.

Trowa and ToddPhin like this.
  10. dolfan22

Huh?

The other instances don't count then? And if Polian was still in Indy you think he would not have them over .500 after 4 years?

11. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Maybe, but how do you explain Poian's involvement in the Buffalo and Carolina franchises ?? The guy has done the job...That can't be denied...

dolfan22 and LandShark13 like this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Polian's record at finding talent in the current era of the NFL makes Ireland look like an oracle.

How badly is your team stocked if it wins only 2 games when you lose you're QB?

jegol71, Trowa and ToddPhin like this.
  13. dolfan22

D luge on al

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Buffalo was a long time ago. In fact it was his Buffalo Bills that lost to Parcells & JJ in SBs and I wouldn't want either of them running our show.

If you're going to replace Ireland replace him with someone who has had success recently and not because they had Peyton Manning.

15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Much like any other QB not named Beck/Henne was trash during their tenures here, the same for Ireland. One bad year where the Colts were missing their franchise QB suddenly completely erases the fact that he built 3 different teams that went to the superbowl - 2 of them went more than once. One bad year and all of a sudden some are calling Polian worse than Ireland who has done essentially nothing during his time as GM. It's quite comical really. Only on a Dolphins message board would you find anyone who would choose Ireland over Polian. In fact, I would challenge anyone on this board to find one non-Dolphin fan who would rather Jeff Ireland be the GM of their football team than Bill Polian. I'll wait. I'll even accept Colts fans...

Gunner and dolfan22 like this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    When you lose one player and you go from perennial contender to first pick, there's a serious problem with talent on the team. Deny that all you want, but its fact.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Where am i wrong exactly?

18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Polian has built teams that have been to 7 superbowls. Deny that all you want it's fact. And I'd say it earned him a bad year while missing the MVP of his team. You've never argued before that QB isn't crucial to the success of a team, why start now?

19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Crucial? Yes. The difference between 12 wins and 2? No.

Super Bowls with the Bills don't mean anything to me. Just as Parcells super bowls don't mean anything to me, nor do JJ's. They were a long time ago in a different NFL and those philosophies don't translate anymore.

This wasn't one bad year for Polian. He'd been the GM for awhile and amassed exactly enough talent to win 2 freaking games without Manning. 2. Its why he was let go. Manning covered up how bad of a job he did.

Trowa and Alex44 like this.
  20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    You forget that the superbowl that one of his teams won was in today's NFL. And Polian himself was a HUGE factor in ushering in the new era of the NFL after complaining about the Pats mugging the Colts receivers after the playoff loss. He understood the impact of the rule "change" / enforcement and his team took advantage.

Agree to disagree. I think his body of work makes a bad season forgivable. And you're still welcome to try and find an objective, non-Dolphin fan who would take Ireland over Polian. :lol:

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I have to agree with not wanting Polian. I really really really hated the way he built that INDY team even when they were competitive. If we fire Ireland it's whatever, but please no Polian. I may have to gauge my eyes out and blast myself in the head.

22. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    What's not to like about that team when they were competitive? I'd love to have a team with an offense that could almost score at will and a defense that put constant pressure on the QB.

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I don't forget it.

Without Manning his teams are 2 win bad. That's been proven.

24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Their defense was an absolute joke most of his tenure. Yes they could rush the passer but no-one feared their defense at all. The book on them always was if you can keep down their offense long enough to play balanced football they were done. The offense wasn't very well built minus Manning in the later years, after Edge the man couldn't identify a running back to save his life. If your money is tied up into your QB and two WR's how can your roster be absolutely devoid of talent at every other position (Minus DE)?

Replace Manning with any starting QB in the league not named Brady and they are a 7-8-9 win team every season. Replace him with a backup and you're a 2 win team.

Trowa, Coral Reefer and Fin D like this.
  25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Worse than that. Replace Manning and they were a 2 win team.

26. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You love to ask for proof, and of this I have none...but I believe deeply, like a 4 year old in Santa, that Irsay tanked the season. This is more about him and the Colts, than this thread or Polian. 13-3, 10-6 and Afc champs/division champs, then 2-14??? No way. And the games they win, they beat Houston, and have dominant performances?

It's my conspiracy theory. Irsay is a crazy, underhanded maniac. If you follow him on twitter you will see this. Last season, Irsay ordered the code red.

Sent from my iPad

GMJohnson, djphinfan and MonstBlitz like this.
  27. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Agree 100%. I don't think the players were in on it, but I believe decisions were made to put this team in a position to lose. And "I can't count to 10" Caldwell was a worse problem for that team than Polian ever was. Without Tony Dungy Peyton Manning was both the starting QB and coach of that team. When they lost him they lost the coach and the MVP at once.

[​IMG]

djphinfan likes this.
  28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bill Polian being advertised as a serious alternative to Jeff Ireland is an example of how little some of this stuff is really being thought through.

Jim Irsay barely has enough sense to avoid urinating on his own shoes in public. There's no way he ordered the team to tank. The coaching staff that he fired for doing poorly would have probably mentioned it at some point, not to mention he can't actually shut the **** up.

Trowa, ToddPhin and Fin D like this.
  29. dolfan22

This isn't going back to Bronco Nagurski , so his building three different Super Bowl teams makes you pretty much wrong everywhere. When is ireland winning his FIRST playoff game?

HardKoreXXX likes this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Parcells won Super Bowls back then against Polian...how'd he do here?
    JJ won Super Bowls back then against Polian....how'd he do here?

There is a difference in the game from then till now.

Polian does have one win in recent times. He also has a 2 win season most recently.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I will hate him forever for that one

Hiruma78 likes this.
  32. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    In other threads you've stated how coaching is mainly to blame for Miami's lack of success over the past 3 season, yet you assign none to Caldwell and all blame to Polian?

In other threads you've talked about how important a franchise QB is to the success of a team and you don't think losing Peyton should have a huge impact on a team with a poor head coach?

It's amazing how quickly you change your stance on a couple of your key talking points when we're talking about another GM and not defending Ireland...

33. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And you can't really blame him for that. In a passing league, you're gonna put most of your resources into the offense. Imagine the Saints without Brees or the Packers without Rodgers. Hell, the Pats defense was either last or second to last this past season.

34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You think that by saying without Dungy and Manning the team won 2 games contradicts my points about how important coaching & Qbs are and how devoid of talent Polian's team was? And people thanked you for it?

Did I step in to the Twilight Zone where dogs are cats and up is down?

And to get even crazier, you are saying Ireland has to go because our record is so bad and put none of it on a coach or QB.

Trowa likes this.
  35. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think the reason for that is Polian turned the GM duties to his son. It appeared that he didn't want to step on his son's toes and therefore he let his son conduct the drafts from 2009 through 2011. His son did a terrible job of replacing the aging veterans with young players who could come in and play at a similar level. Once Manning was forced to sit out last year. The truth of how badly the Colts had been in the draft and in free agency with Chris Polian came to light.

Polian was one of the best GM's for many years in the NFL. I just don't know if he still has it in him to try once again to rebuild another franchise.

texanphinatic likes this.
  36. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Without Manning? Probably not. I'd argue Polian's Indy team underperformed considering they had arguably the best QB in NFL history and could only manage 1 SB win with him.

Trowa and Fin D like this.
  37. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No, I think that what you've said in other threads about Ireland and the importance of the QB directly contradicts what you're saying here about Polian. You assign nearly all blame to coaching in Miami's case and seemingly none for Indianapolis. You've said QB play is the most important factor to a team's success yet you refuse to acknowledge the critical impact it had on the Colts. You seem to think they should have won more games with a terrible QB. Another "You're so wrong" statement without actually addressing the point.

It really just demonstrates the level you're willing to go to defend Ireland that you'll flip flop on your key talking points.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You seriously need to think about what you're saying.

I'm not contradicting myself in any size, shape or form. You are.

I think QB play and coaching is so vital to a team you can take a team devoid of talent and make them contenders. How does that contradict my stance on Polian and the Colts? I'm saying that Polian kept that team so devoid of talent that without Manning and Dungy they win 2 games.

Do you understand that is exactly what I've been saying? Do you understand that you've argued against that with Ireland?

Trowa likes this.
  39. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It is pretty amazing to see people who defend Ireland rip on Polian. Like, that's actually happening here.

texanphinatic and MonstBlitz like this.
  40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm clearly in bizarro world.