1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan lebatard on Ross and Ireland..and the wait.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That's what I would be doing if I was the owner..the obvious, all documented decisions by Ireland, good and bad, and make the decision based on that record.

Wish I could see that bad boy..

2. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Dan pretty much nailed it.

cdz12250 likes this.
  3. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    Total BS. Ireland's ineptitude has been ongoing for years.

Last year's extension was an abomination.

Ireland is a complete idiot, and only a bigger idiot would continue to employ him at a high salary.

10 year olds playing Madden could do a better job acquiring players.

There is nothing to research or assess. Just the pull the effing trigger and put Dolfans everywhere out of their misery.

When are you people going to stop enabling the phonies to carry on.

You do realize these people aren't even Dolphin fans don't you??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

When Stephen Ross and Jeff Ireland sit down to watch the NFL, they are probably really rooting for the Jets and Cowboys. Yes, for financial reasons they root for the Dolphins, but there is nothing in their hearts.

I'd rather see the Williams sisters as majority owners, or even Fergie! rather than these bastards! At least they are true fans.

Without fan support, Ross will be forced to sell the team and no new owner in his right mind would have anything to do with Ireland.

START THE BOYCOTT!!! Screw Ross, he doesn't really care about the Dolphins actually winning. Nobody who was a true fan of the Dolphins would continue to employ Ireland as GM.

There are some truly great football minds out there who are true Dolphin fans. One of them should be the Dolphins Owner and GM, and not Beavis and Butthead.

Aquafin likes this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If one's stance makes it so that they are against a person for taking a reasoned and methodical approach to solving a significant but non emergency problem, then that person's stance is dumb.

Ross may or may not make the right decision, but anyone blasting him for taking the approach to the situation he has, is being ridiculous.

5. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You call the article BS and then proceed to crystallize LeBatard's point better than he ever could.

Tin Indian and Springveldt like this.
  6. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    It is a good approach, but he needs to make a decision sooner rather than later. It isn't exactly an emergency problem, but it is a more or less time sensitive problem. The approach IMO also needs to be followed by the right decision otherwise it just looks like time wasting and indecisiveness, instead of looking like a methodical, rational and doing his homework approach.

One can also question why Ross did not do this information collecting sooner. This season was full mode rollercoaster, and you have to think Ross questioned the process along the way at least a little in the middle of that losing streak with a full blown scandal. Why did he not prepare then for a situation like this?

7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    This team is a dysfunctional mess. With the way this offseason is shaping up for us, we can already chalk down 2014 as a wasted season. This team is about to hit rock bottom, ya'll ain't seen nothing yet.

Aquafin likes this.
  8. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I guess Ross could come out and announce the obvious, that he's not firing Ireland or Philbin, and face the storm of criticism that would come with it. That's on him.

But the idea that Ross was caught off guard, is wasting time, etc. I think that's the media trying to dupe readers into following a story line that doesn't really exist.

9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I think sumlit nailed it. Ross should have been ready to fire ireland the first day after the seasom ended. He should have begun preparing in october or novemeber

10. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I don't know if he was caught off guard, but he was definitely unprepared. Considering the situation the team, particularly Ireland, entered the season, by the midway point amidst a full blown scandal and a losing streak, it would have behooved Ross to start this fact finding methodical process then and there, just in case, regardless of the final outcome.

11. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    WADR, you guys are not thinking this through.

Considering we had legit playoff hopes up until the end of the last game, would have really made sense for Ross to sit down with players and coaches before that? Think about it. Should he have flown in stopped practice and classes and said, 'I know you guys are preparing and everything, but I need to get your feedback on what's wrong with the franchise so I can make necessary changes the second our season is over. Oh and good luck out there."

We haven't lost out on a any blue chip coach or GM candidates or anything, so let's let this play out. Sure if we hear nothing weeks from now and all the good candidates are gone then fine, ***** away.

12. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

No matter how any of us feel about Ireland at this point, this article has a "high-five gate" stench all over it. More media anti-Fins propoganda. Just another example of the media stirring up crap. Is this article anything we don't already know?? The facts are that Ross alone will make the decision about Ireland, Philbin, et al... When he does, it'll be announced. Simple as that. The why's and wherefore's are for Ross, not for us, the media or even for the rest of the staff...

13. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    The team was in a pretty ****ty situation just before their playoff push, losing 5 out of the last 6, losing Monday night vs win-less Bucs amidst a pretty embarrassing scandal. I would have thought Ross would have started to move this fact finding process then and there, just as a precaution and just in an exercise of being prepared.
    I'm not saying he should have stopped practiced to interview the coaches, but he could have done his fact finding and evidence gathering regardless of this. Maybe that's what he did, we don't really know, it just strikes me as unprepared.

You're right though, the team still has't lost the opportunity of getting new people, but this is still time sensitive, and while the team is still in the race for candidates, it isn't far fetched to say they are at a disadvantage compared to the rest.

Aquafin likes this.
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Who says he didn't start it then, didn't Ross supposedly bring in Taylor, Dungy, etc. to take a look at what was going on?

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    For one, the whole Cogs & Martin fiasco was right before that Bucs game and likely the reason we lost it and there was an investigation. Plus, right around that time there were reports of a meeting between Philbin, Ireland and Ross where apparently some chewing out happened then we promptly signed McKinnie. Point being, Ross wasn't absentee and uninvolved during that whole time as we're being lead to believe.

Also, its more likely that Ross already has feelers and stuff out on anyone he wants to replace then it is that he is spending this whole time clueless and indecisive. You do not become a self made billionaire with real estate without the capacity for long term game planning and having Plans A thru Z already in the works. Remember this is the guy that our fanbase acted like was the devil because he was setting up a plan to replace Sparano before firing him.

16. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    That might very well be the case, but how much longer does he need to make a decision? Are the facts so clouded? Is the evidence so obscure that he started gathering it then, and it has taken him this long and he still hasn't announced a decision?

17. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I go back and forth on Ireland. Was it really the lack of talent level on the team that beat Pittsburg, Indy NE, and Cinci and lost twice against Buf and went 2-4 in the division or was it poor coaching, bad referring (took a pro bowler's int away and gave the ball back to the Ravens for PI? How can an Interception be pass interference when replay showed Grimes didn't even touch the receiver), and bad play calls. I've not seen Sherman or Coyle on the field inspiring their units to perform at any time this season and Philbin is dead pan and even scripted post wins and losses. A complete rebuild doesn't seem to be the answer either. It's clear what's missing is inspiring leadership and knowledge to get these kids to perform a little better. Weather it's Marino or Tannehill turning his personality around like Cam did, I really believe that inspiring leadership and poor offensive play design were the missing ingredients.

18. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    How was Ross not caught off guard?

He told Ireland he was safe on Dec 9th, then the last two games happened. He then was having 7-8 hours worth of discussions/meetings.

Now, maybe its not the "negative" connotation that most attach to not being prepared for it. I mean heck, most weren't. You're 8-6 and just need to defeat two teams you've played earlier in games where you showed you had more talent than.

MrClean likes this.
  19. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Maybe you're right, but I still feel there was enough time for him to do his due process and to do his homework, and still have announced a decision by now. Maybe he has already made the decision and hasn't announced it yet because he is working on the aftermath, or maybe he was truthfully unprepared and is still making up his mind. We don't really know either way.

20. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I think the decision has already been made.

Do you think he should call a press conference to announce that he isn't firing anyone?

21. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Caught off guard in the sense of he thought we were a playoff team and we pissed ourselves instead? Yeah, that caught everyone off guard.

But big picture wise those last two games don't change the overall direction or plan.

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm fairly certain that even though Ross may not have expected a collapse, he knew the proccess he would undertake if one were to happen. So he wasn't caught off guard.

23. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Let's face it, whether 10-6 and in the playoffs or 8-8 and home watching, the 2013 squad was not a good team. I'm pretty sure all of the relevant people knew that well ahead of the Bills/Jets games.

And to be fair, going from 7-9 to 8-8 isn't really a collapse.

24. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Simplified your rant. :lol: This is what we get to feel like the first week of playoffs.

25. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    It is when the playoffs are given to you and you lose to two poor teams. Since we can agree the 2013 squad wasn't very good, who should be held accountable for putting together such a poor roster? Especially the OL which is being rebuilt every year due to Ireland's incompetence.

-When everyone knew going into the season the OL was such a mess, the DL was our strength, but yet in a top heavy OL first round, you grab a DE/LB who: A. Doesn't fit our 43 scheme. B. Is injured. C. Shows some potential but coaches choose not to play.
    -That Brandon Albert was available via trade.
    -McKinnie was available for free.
    -John Jerry has never reached his potential and has regressed every year.
    -Long left for St. Louis yet J.Martin is your only backup plan?

The defense with Wheeler and Ellerbe as your LBs regressed while Burnett and Dansby improved with their new teams. Dansy playing well for former Dolphins secondary coach Todd Bowles as his DC raises questions about both our poor personnel decisions and coaching. Our secondary did about average with the exception of Grimes who is a baller. Even our DL regressed with the exception of Vernon, though some could make a case for his stats being attributed to Ogunleye-like reasons(double teams on Wake).

All in all, in 6 long years, I've seen enough. Dave Wannestedt did more to deserve to keep his job than Ireland has.

Aquafin likes this.
  26. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house
    why cant dolphin fans hold a press conference form a union then things would get going . kidding sort of

questions and answers .

media : why have you fans quit going to games ?

Fans : because our oline couldn't block a wet paper sack.

Media : the team was in the playoff hunt before the last two games how do you feel about that ?

Fans : we feel that 8-8 is quite a accomplishment and that Ireland should get 3 more years and Philbin should get 5 more years.

media : do you feel that 8-8 is a good progress ?

fans: yes we are happy to win 8 games and feel 8 games for the next 5 years is fine by us.