1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dan Carpenter released by Phins, Cards, Jets. Signs with Buffalo

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, Aug 14, 2013.

1. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    He is a fine kicker, everyone has a hiccup now and again.

He is needed in Green Bay.

The Rev likes this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This move obviously didn't have to do with Carpenter not being capable, but more so that these guys are so close that the cost was the factor that led to the movement. I would guess that they tried to trade him, but this is the right thing for Carpenter as well. Give him time to get to another team and he will have a job kicking in the NFL this year....

3. Joe Robbie

Joe Robbie The Patriarch

Dec 24, 2008
    Miami Gardens
    And I remember everyone blaming him, despite the fact it shouldn't have had to come to that. If you constantly have to rely on kickers, you deserve to lose.

PhinsRock and Bpk like this.
  4. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Slightly.

The reason why this switch was made is obvious, but Carp was a rookie too, once.

5. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    2 times is not "constantly" relying.

CaribPhin, MrClean, Bumrush and 3 others like this.
  6. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Merged x2: Dan Carpenter released.

Just one big kick? No. For the price difference Sturgis would have to miss 3 or more big kicks.

Larry Little likes this.
  7. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Not to be terse, but... I won't be clamoring for Dan. The most important job a kicker has is to shirk the pressure and make the game-winning kick. Carpenter couldn't do that last season. So, he's gone. If Sturgis can't do that, then, he needs to be replaced, as well. Just like any player who cannot fulfill his role and help the team win. Especially ones who fall short in their most important role.

As harsh as that might be, that's the reality of it. I wish Carpenter well. I hope he doesn't blame anyone but himself for his release, works on his game, and succeeds wildly with his next team... as long as that team is not named 'The Jets', and that team is not playing the Dolphins.

MrClean, dolfan22 and PhinFan1968 like this.
  8. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I don't agree with this at all. Every team is full of professionals. No matter how good you are, sometimes, you're going to need a kicker to make a game-winning kick to win. It is a common, and required, part of the game.

MrClean, Hellion, PhinsRock and 3 others like this.
  9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just ridiculous.

Following this ridiculousness, the other team needing our kicker to miss a FG to win, means they don't deserve to win either. Sigh.

Superself, CaribPhin, MrClean and 3 others like this.
  10. Joe Robbie

Joe Robbie The Patriarch

Dec 24, 2008
    Miami Gardens
    He's been their best source of offense since he's been here! Lol

11. invid

Dec 9, 2012
    ftfy.

Disgustipate, Larry Little and SICK like this.
  12. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That is part of his freaking job description.

And no one but Sparano constantly relied upon him. We needed him to hit several FGs last season that he failed to do so. Couple that with his salary and it was time to go. Same with Sean Smith. Guy wasn't clutch and almost single-handledly cost us the win against the Colts. Good riddance.

13. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Just ask the Pats and Vinatieri.

DePhinistr8 likes this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Evidently Carpenter's wife is due to go into labor any day now.

Bpk likes this.
  15. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    Don't overlook Sturgis's ability on KICKOFFS in this decision. The Jags didn't start past the 20. This will be nearly as important to our fortunes as his FG kicking.

16. Kingtut561

Kingtut561 New Member

Apr 30, 2013
    West Palm Beach Fl,
    Wish you the best....Hope you remember those missed field goals, last year, when we meet again. :up:

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That's just great! One more baby born to parents without jobs that will now suckle at the public teat of welfare!!

18. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So long #5 scoring leader in Miami Dolphins history (#1 in scoring/gm in the top 100 scorers).

Hopefully the new kicker sticks around long enough to pass Mare, but still matches you in PPG (preferably because of XPs).

19. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Actually, nearly 70% of the kickers in the league were better than him. 81.5% on FGs good enough for 24th in the league.

Mainge and Bumrush like this.
  20. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Except, you know...he DID kick a game winning field goal last year so saying he didn't means you are either lying to strengthen your argument, or don't know that he won the Seattle game for us. And considering that he kicked almost EXACTLY at his career average, it is easy to say that saying he couldn't cut it anymore is incorrect.

It's a cash move. He was due to make more this year than Sturgis's entire contract. As a Gator fan, I like Sturgis, but I worry about is consistency as well as his groin injury. Obviously he has the leg and here is hoping he does awesome for us. But I am still a Carpenter fan and think he is eating a raw deal from fans.

Ophinerated likes this.
  21. Sleepy

Sleepy Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Surprise, Arizona
    I was certain Dan would've been our K for the next decade. :sad:

Good luck, man.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  22. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    It's hard to pay him almost $3million after that Jets game and the follow up Cardinals game. Also he's missed some time that last few years with injuries as well.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  23. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Carpenter was statistically no better than average the past few years and was inconsistent in the clutch. He deserved to be upgraded regardless of how much he was due to be paid.

MrClean and Larry Little like this.
  24. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It was a combination of Carpenter's salary, leg strength and an 'off' 2012 that made this happen. His reputation took a bit of a hit last year, but before that he'd earned a good rep for being a clutch kicker. He'll find work without a doubt.

As for Sturgis, he hit the big kicks at Florida. And while it is the pros, kicking from those wide hashes in college adds a degree of difficulty. And it doesn't get much more pressure-packed than playing big football in the SEC every week. He's also got that big leg. Watching him boom kickoffs out of the endzone Saturday is a breath of fresh air. Thru the first seven weeks of the season we'll have faced Josh Cribbs, Jacoby Jones, Darren Sproles, Leon Washington and Leodis McKelvin/Brad Smith. The less opportunities we can give them, the better.

Claymore95, The Rev and Bumrush like this.
  25. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Big whup. You say that like it overshadows the 2 games he could've won for us but didn't. Since when is going 1 for 3 in clutch kicks considered good? You're right though, it is a cash move. You don't pay a guy $3 million/year who is weak in the clutch.

MrClean likes this.
  26. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Lets not pretend those game Winners were chip shots.

Good kicker.

I like him. I wish him well.

Dear Homers: Once we cut/trade a guy you don't have to crap on him and forget everything he did for us.

Pretty sure Philbin and Irish cut him early as a favor to and not a slight on Carp.

27. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Carpenter was OK, but he's missed too many kicks over the years. Not only the back to back OT games last season, but remember a few seasons back where he choked the whole day away against the Bills. That, combined with his bloated salary and Sturgis' good camp are reason enough to move on.

Classy move by the club letting him go with a month before the season. He'll catch on somewhere else. Watch him go to a more popular team and suddenly be thought of as one of the League's best by the media :shifty:

RevRick likes this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's funny.... and ironic.... considering the homer is the one making excuses for missing game-winners as if we're talking about high school football here. You don't get paid 3 million bucks to miss those kicks dude. If mediocrity is your goal you can find someone else to miss 'em for a heck of a lot less.

29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I liked Carpenter, but the reality is that he played poorly last year. He didn't play like one of the best kickers or like a clutch kicker while simultaneously having one of the highest kicker salaries in the league. (I wouldn't even say he was in the top half, more like bottom third). (In fact the primary reason I like him at all is b/c I recall him winning a few games for us over the years, but if I were being objective I would list him as a disadvantage against most teams). That same year he was outplayed by several rookie kickers playing for the minimum salary. They used a 5th round pick to replace him and Sturgis has not disappointed thus far. From the camp reports and preseason, I would guess that Sturgis has outplayed Carpenter this year. I don't know how Sturgis will play, but I have as much confidence in Sturgis as I do Carpenter, going into the season, in their ability to hit a 40 yard or less FG and far more confidence in Sturgis to hit a any FG longer than 40 yards. Not to mention that Sturgis is far better at KOs. And all that at a substantial savings. Who knows that savings may afford us the opportunity to land a significant contributor off the waiver wire? I hate to see anyone lose their job, but I'm sure the blow is softened some when you've had a significantly higher than average salary. I don't know if he'll land a job soon as some here have suggested, b/c frankly he hasn't been a good kicker lately, but hopefully, he had the foresight to build up substantial savings and plan for a future without football.

Claymore95, Mainge, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  30. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    You're hilarious.

31. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    The writing was on the wall for him last year when he missed those two kicks in overtime. It cost us 2 wins and ultimately his job. Not a good impression for your rookie head coach. And yes it was certainly a cash move but I submit to you all that if he had made those kicks they most likely wouldn't have been shopping. Good luck to him. I'm glad they had the decency to cut him early enough for him to land somewhere else.

P h i N s A N i T y and rafael like this.
  32. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    it's a gift what can I say.

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree. He certainly won't just be handed a job. He'll have to beat someone out. I could see him remaining unemployed this year until an injury bug strikes.

34. HugeFinFan

HugeFinFan Woopsy Daisy!

Mar 22, 2008
    NY
    Would have preferred to trade next years 1st rounder for Greg "The Leg" Zuerlein, but I can't complain with this.

35. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nah, gives him more of a chance to win a job elsewhere, it is sort of a favor to him otherwise it would be "smarter" to keep him through the preseason and cut him after the final game as a sort of insurance policy.

36. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

^

And the rook don't need to split time with him going forward in the PS games.

37. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    would have been the absolute best if after doing that fist pump he lost his balance and fell on his face.

Tone_E likes this.
  38. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    oh and Sturgis kicking drought will be starting soon because that is the way life is.

39. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    "LOL ask me if I give a ****"

- Jeff Ireland.

40. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Re: Merged x2: Dan Carpenter released.

People who are calling him good have really not looked at the percentages. Multiple guys kicking in the nineties makes it hard for Carpenter to justify making 2.6 million.

ETA: Carpenter was 24th in percentage. 13 points behind the number one kicker. 17 of the 23 higher ranked kickers kicked and made more field goals than Carpenter.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2