1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DA filed felony charges today against Merling

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finyank13, Jul 19, 2010.

1. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Yeah this isnt good, felony charges?? As the blurb suggest, this could get him multiple games regardless of the clean behavior record.....

The Broward County (FL) state's attorney formally filed felony aggravated battery charges against Dolphins DE Phillip Merling on Monday.

Merling is accused of striking his pregnant girlfriend, which won't be taken lightly by the NFL office. The felony charge alleges that Merling hit the woman in the face, causing "redness and swelling and a cut on her lip." Though he's a first-time offender of the Personal Conduct Policy, the seriousness of the crime could be enough to get him suspended multiple games.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...-charges-against-dolphins-de-phillip-merling/

2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    he gone

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    I mean if he shows up to camp in 12 days totally out of shape, I dont think cutting him, is out of the realm of possibility......just saying.

Bpk likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    good..

siciliansith, gafinfan and finyank13 like this.
  5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The only reason why I dont want it to happen, what a wasted picked.....number 32 that year....meh..:pity:

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I know bro, I can only imagine what this organization would look like if only half of our high round picks panned out over the past 5 10 years...Amazing that were about the youngest team in the NFL {I believe we are the youngest starting unit in the league} and some have us going to the dance. 3 years removed from Cleo Lemon handing off to Samkon gado with Marty doggin it Booker out wide...

finyank13 and dolfan22 like this.
  7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I personally believe that the charges are going to get knocked down to misdemeanor simple battery, and that he may be suspended up to but not exceeding one game.

finyank13 and Anonymous like this.
  8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yeah, looks like a bad pick but still one hell of a draft for us in a critical year. Long, Henne, and Langford were the rest of our top 4 picks. I'll take 3 out of 4 every day of the week.

finyank13 likes this.
  9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Even if the charges are reduced, I have no respect for the man after what he did. His performance on the field & in TC had better be SIGNIFICANTLY improved this year or he will be gone like the wind.

10. dolphinkev

dolphinkev Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    CHARLESTON SC
    If he has no prior criminal record then this will probaly end up in probation and maybe a 1 game suspension. I think the fins will probaly wait to see what he does in camp. before cutting him.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I agree with this.

12. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Exactly...... but getting in this trouble did nothing but make that hole he has to climb out of, even deeper. This a guy that really needs to get his act together.... and fast

finyank13 and Anonymous like this.
  13. The Rev

The Rev Totus Tuus Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box Club Member

Article

14. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Broward ALWAYS will press charges on counts of battery, often even if the victim themselves don't want to. This will likely drag on for awhile...

15. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Dude beat a pregnant woman....what a piece of crap. I'd cut his *** today.

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Dolphins team's looking turdier than ever.

17. mikenc28115

mikenc28115 New Member

Apr 23, 2010
    If he did it he should be gone no matter what! Hit a woman let alone a pregnant woman!! :no:

18. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    And this is probably the end of Philip Merling in Miami. Shame too, thought he was going to be a good one for us for quite some time. Guess not.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    The thing is I could see it getting knocked down but also I could see a felony charge with a straight filing dispo....all probation time....if thats the case he is getting wacked by the NFL for mutiple games.

20. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

100% correct. The Dolphelons are back. But what do you expect from a Bill Parcells led franchise? The guy has had headaches and malcontents on all of his teams throughout his history.

Apparently being a "Parcells Guy," means you do a ton of drugs, beat up women and basically be a scumbag.

NolesNPhinsFan likes this.
  21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is probably what will happen FY, however this has the smell of a case that will stretch out over time, as in I'd bet it won't come to trial/pleading until next Spring.

finyank13 likes this.
  22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    At least B-Marsh has his nose clean.

finyank13 likes this.
  23. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Which is funny. Everyone was expecting him to be in trouble with the law, and all he's done is form a relationship with a QB and marry his wife.

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  24. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I doubt it. They'd have done it by now. Unless something really heinous comes out, public relations backlash isn't gonna be bad enough to force it, and while Merling is a bit of a disappointment for where he was picked, what are you going to replace him with?

Travis Kirschke? Jeff Zgonina? Marques Douglas?

25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Jared Odrick? Ryan Baker?

I'm not in favor of cutting him as this is his first episode of anything like this, however I think this combined with poor play in TC and the preseason and that combined would relegate him to the end of the bench.

26. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    It's not like we have never blown a second round pick:pity:

finyank13 and finfansince72 like this.
  27. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Keep coming with the names, because you've got a whole heck of alot of snaps to fill in there. Last season the 3-4 DEs saw 2029 snaps, and the individual leader had 730 of those, and is now a NT.

Ryan Baker had 14 snaps last year. He had half a sack, and the coaching staff likes him, but he's got a whole hell of alot to prove before he's likely getting 400+ snaps.

28. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    140 or so of those snaps were on the nickel rush line.

Merling rotated in as a Rook, Baker or Odrick could do the same, or Soliai could play some DE, if they decided to part ways with Merling that is to say.

29. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not in favor of cutting someone without knowing the facts. For me a great deal would depend on what he told me and if I believed his version, but I've seen enough DV cases to know that the DA pressing charges has very little correlation with whether or not he did anything. Either way though this is not good for him or Miami. This was the one off-season incident I was worried about. AFAIK there's no criminal history so I could see him taking a deal that would include no jail time. If this were being prosecuted in Reno, it would not be knocked down to a misdemeanor unless the prosecutor had no case. I don't know what the policy is in Broward though.

finfansince72 likes this.
  30. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't know, I'm a believer in someone being innocent until proven guilty, if he really beat a pregnant woman I'd have no problem with us cutting him regardless of who he is or how good he is. Can't fault management if they don't want to employ someone like that. Now if its a one time thing, I believe in second chances but I can't blame them if they want to part ways. Just have to wait and see on this one.

rafael likes this.
  31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Exactly. I hate the way people see charges and immediately want to dole out punishment. I have no problem with his removal if he actually did it, but all we have is charges. Maybe some people have no connection or experience with the system and have never seen how often b.s. charges are filed, but my experience is that charges like these are only proof that two people argued. What he did or didn't do is something that nobody on this board knows.

32. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think the evidence is definitely against Merling here but on the other hand someone on another board brought up a good point. He shared a story about how his like 70 pound 9 year old daughter was gesturing something in a store once and a friend was standing a little too close and pow, hand hits face, there's blood, swelling, etc.

Think about that, and then think about Merling's wife's story that this 6'4" and 300 lbs athlete with football strength hit her face five times.

Would there really just be some "redness" and a small cut on her lip?

It's easy to imagine the worst. But if it were as bad as we imagine, she'd be in the hospital.

finyank13 likes this.
  33. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Maybe he's like Tyson and "knows how to hit a woman because he's a professional"

34. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    true he is innocent until proven guilty of the criminal charge
    as far as the football field the verdict is in and Merling is a bust

35. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    No, he isn't. He wasn't even that bad last season.

36. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Well if I liked having players that are not that bad and who beat there pregnant girlfriends then I guess Merling is just okay but sorry I don't roll like that. The guy should be dominant and he is not.
    Why do you always defend players who suck my man? :wink2:

37. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Yup, I'm not talking 3-4 DEs in a strict sense. It's a position in a specific formation, but in a general sense it's a DT/DE that there are generally two on the field at any given time.

Sure, but it's not a particularly good option, as so far as keeping Merling is. He isn't great, but he's at least solid, and you can't say that about any of those players yet.

padre31 likes this.
  38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, and that is one reason why I'm not wild about Starks the NT, Wake and Starks were very effective on the nickel rush line, now one would think Starks won't be on that lines as often and man the starting NT position?

Well, sort of, I'm not enthralled by Phil Merling the DE, not in any sense as he doesn't do anything particularly well consistently, if Soliai were to man he DE slot, at least he could defend the run as the Size/speed matchup vs a Tackle is in Soliai's favor.

that said, no way should Merling be released, as you are correct, there are options however they are not as enticing options.

39. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That has to be a cover for something...Henne and Marshall sex slave trade?