D-day 65 years ago

2 replies

gafinfangafinfanSupporterOP
Jun 4, 2009, 11:00 PM

At 2:24 AM GMT Saturday morning 65 years ago the largest armada the world has ever seen clawed its way onto the Normandy beachead and took the first steps to retake Europe from Hitler.

May I present President Ronald Reagan who spoke there 25 years ago:

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/ronaldreaganddayaddress.html

and alittle more information if you happen to ever go:

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2009-06-04-normandy-d-day-65th-anniversary_N.htm?csp=34


This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Jun 4, 2009, 11:35 PM

My grandfather was there that day and was lucky enough to make it home. My grandmother, told me once, he came back a different person. I imagine that day was the day that changed many people.

While it single-handedly changed the war and history, let's hope it never has to happen again. I fear faced with same scenario, I wouldn't have a tenth of the courage my grandfather and those men displayed that day.

May that day never be forgotten.

anlgpanlgpNew Member
Jun 5, 2009, 02:41 AM

"Finascious D wrote:

My grandfather was there that day and was lucky enough to make it home. My grandmother, told me once, he came back a different person. I imagine that day was the day that changed many people.

While it single-handedly changed the war and history, may it never have to happen again. I fear faced with same scenario, I wouldn't have a tenth of the courage my grandfather and those men displayed that day.

May that day never be forgotten.

There was a special on the history channel a while back that focused on Sun Tzu and the Art of War. D-Day was one of the focuses and it was mentioned in such a way that agreed with the principals given in "art of war". Basically it said the reason that fight was won was that faced with two options - > fight or death <- you'll be more than likely to give it 100% because your body goes into a response mode where it knows that is the last chance you may have to get out alive.

I do agree with the sentiment. I would be scared ****less. I too hope it never happens again.

"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl