Cutler Vs Moore Next Week
140 replies
"jw3102 wrote:
It doesn’t matter what happens this week or the rest of the season. Because the fact is that Cutler was never worth the $10 million dollars they paid him to come in and start for the Dolphins.
Neither Cutler or Moore are the answer at the QB position over the course of an entire season. They are both merely backup caliber QB’s in the NFL. Yet I happen to believe Moore is a better QB than Cutler.
Cutler has never been more than a mediocre starter in the NFL and he was only mediocre during his best years in the league. There was a reason no other team wanted to sign him after the 2016 season was over. The reason being that he just isn’t very good anymore and his best years are a distant memory.
I think the Dolphins will end up winning 6-8 games this year, no matter whether Moore or Cutler starts the rest of the year. I just think spending $10 million dollars on Cutler was ridiculous. Especially when they could have signed a Kaepernick, a much better QB, for a couple of million dollars.
I was talking about signing Kaepernick, now.
I was half-kidding though. I have no idea what the backup QB market looks like.
I'm not wanting to contribute to a quarterback controversy, but there is one thing I do have to point out and I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw it. When Matt Moore came into the game, there was a ***FIRE*** in his eyes that's been completely absent in Cutler's. He just looks flat and bland on the field, something I kind of pointed out in the bench Cutler thread.
Once Cutler retired, re-motivating yourself is one of the most difficult things there is to do, because once you've quit, you're quit.
Great game Matt. You were definitely the leader on the team the 2nd half!

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I'm not wanting to contribute to a quarterback controversy, but there is one thing I do have to point out and I'm sure I'm not the only one that saw it. When Matt Moore came into the game, there was a ***FIRE*** in his eyes that's been completely absent in Cutler's. He just looks flat and bland on the field, something I kind of pointed out in the bench Cutler thread.
Once Cutler retired, re-motivating yourself is one of the most difficult things there is to do, because once you've quit, you're quit.
Great game Matt. You were definitely the leader on the team the 2nd half!
The announcers said that it looked like a "Matt Moore revenge game" for not going with him all along. I don't personally think that's true because that's just how Matt is....ready to go at a moment's notice and trying to make the most out of any play.
For me, it's not what his attitude does for his passes/reads but how others around him respond. Receivers have dropped 20% of Cutler's passes this season- but how many did they drop on Moore today? Stills went beast-mode. Landry was really fired up. Even the line looked better. And that's how every team has responded under Moore...they physically play harder to help him succeed.
There may not be a more loved QB in the league when you poll the players...and that's why I've always been a massive Moore fan. Jake Long and others actually went to Philbin and complained when he announced Tannehill as the starter because they believe in him so completely. I don't know what you call that or how you measure it, but Matt Moore has no equals in that category.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"jw3102 wrote:
It doesn’t matter what happens this week or the rest of the season. Because the fact is that Cutler was never worth the $10 million dollars they paid him to come in and start for the Dolphins.
Neither Cutler or Moore are the answer at the QB position over the course of an entire season. They are both merely backup caliber QB’s in the NFL. Yet I happen to believe Moore is a better QB than Cutler.
Cutler has never been more than a mediocre starter in the NFL and he was only mediocre during his best years in the league. There was a reason no other team wanted to sign him after the 2016 season was over. The reason being that he just isn’t very good anymore and his best years are a distant memory.
I think the Dolphins will end up winning 6-8 games this year, no matter whether Moore or Cutler starts the rest of the year. I just think spending $10 million dollars on Cutler was ridiculous. Especially when they could have signed a Kaepernick, a much better QB, for a couple of million dollars.
Ok, I'll start at the bottom and work up. The Dolphins will NOT sign Kaepernick, period. The controversy and distraction he brings in contrary to the tone that Ross and Gase have set in telling the team no one will kneel during the national anthem and signing Kaepernick would be counter-intuitive.
Secondly, yes Matt Moore is a back-up quarterback, but some of you fail to realize that a back-up quarterback is often called upon to start when the starter is injured. His job is not to just stand on the sidelines with a clipboard and earpiece in his ear. The GREATEST back-up quarterback of all time in Earl Morrell led the Dolphins during the majority of the perfect season of '72 after Bob Griese broke his leg.
Aaron Rodgers is out for the season, but do you see Green Bay panicking and looking to sign another starting caliber quarterback? Did you see the Dallas Cowboys scramble to find another starting caliber quarterback after Tony Romo went down?
Teams have quarterbacks...plural, just as they have other players at other positions. Some are starters, others are back-ups but if they didn't have what it took to play on the Dolphins at a starting level, then they would have been cut at the end of preseason.
For the sake of conversation, should Cutler be done for the season, I have no concerns whatsoever with Matt Moore starting the rest of the season. He'll do his job just like any other back-up does when he's in the game...play to win.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
Agree with everything dark knight said, and with that said, drafting a quarterback early this coming offseason is a must. Maybe not first round but you need to get a talented arm from the second or third round
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"invid wrote:
I was talking about signing Kaepernick, now.
I was half-kidding though. I have no idea what the backup QB market looks like.
I happen to be one of those individuals who believes the Constitution gives Kaepernick the right the kneel during the anthem. I also served in the military, including a year in Vietnam during the war.
I always felt that I was serving to protect the Constitutional rights of every American, whether I agree with their views or not.
So as a Dolphin fan, my choice was always that they sign Kaepernick once Tannehill went down for the season . He would certainly been a better option than Cutler. Especially with the OL the Dolphins have this season.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
Agree with everything dark knight said, and with that said, drafting a quarterback early this coming offseason is a must. Maybe not first round but you need to get a talented arm from the second or third round
Not necessarily. If Tannehill is back to 100% form and playing ability, the need to draft a quarterback is moot. If Tannehill isn't and the prognosis isn't good, then quarterback become paramount and other options are available on the table.
There's a lot of "if's" between now and then.

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"jw3102 wrote:
I happen to be one of those individuals who believes the Constitution gives Kaepernick the right the kneel during the anthem. I also served in the military, including a year in Vietnam during the war.
I always felt that I was serving to protect the Constitutional rights of every American, whether I agree with their views or not.So as a Dolphin fan, my choice was always that they sign Kaepernick once Tannehill went down for the season . He would certainly been a better option than Cutler. Especially with the OL the Dolphins have this season.
I also don't care whether or not someone stands or does whatever during the national anthem.
That said, I think the Cuban population of South Florida have taken major issue with Kaepernick's Castro t-shirt.
I'm not Cuban, and I don't live in South Florida, so I'm definitely not going to comment further on any of this. Not trying to turn this into PoFo.
Those ifs are the reason to draft a quarterback. You dont go in next year taking a chance that tannehill is healthy and his knee is stronger and wont give him issues again. You take a quarterback and have him compete.
"Vertical Limit wrote:
Those ifs are the reason to draft a quarterback. You dont go in next year taking a chance that tannehill is healthy and his knee is stronger and wont give him issues again. You take a quarterback and have him compete.
I can guarantee you after the fiasco of the half-assed evaluation on Tannehill during the offseason, we'll know for SURE Tannehill's ability prior to the draft.
Drafting a quarterback un-needed is a wasted draft pick. If Tannehill is good to go, then we don't need a QB. If he isn't, then yes we will need one

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
I would think they will handle it by saying Cutler is dressing as the emergency backup, but Moore is starting Thursday. If Moore screws up royally, which I doubt, they can then go back to Cutler. Otehrwise they could milk the "dressed but only the emergency backup" angle for Cutler for the next couple of games.
TBH I was not surprised that Moore has once again shown himself to be the best QB on the roster. He idd it last year too. My only worry is that he has come in too early in the season. I would not expect him to play the rest of the season without getting hurt, especially the way our QB's are getting punished right now. I hope he does play the next 13 games though, I just don't think it is likely.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I can guarantee you after the fiasco of the half-assed evaluation on Tannehill during the offseason, we'll know for SURE Tannehill's ability prior to the draft.
Drafting a quarterback un-needed is a wasted draft pick. If Tannehill is good to go, then we don't need a QB. If he isn't, then yes we will need one
Having two potential starting quarterbacks on your roster would not be a waste of draft picks!
You can get some team to give up an absolute bounty of future picks if they think you have another potential starting QB sitting on the bench, because you already have one.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I can guarantee you after the fiasco of the half-assed evaluation on Tannehill during the offseason, we'll know for SURE Tannehill's ability prior to the draft.
Drafting a quarterback un-needed is a wasted draft pick. If Tannehill is good to go, then we don't need a QB. If he isn't, then yes we will need one
Belicheck drafts a QB almost every year and that's how they went from Bledsoe to Brady to someday Garappalo. Green Bay did the same thing with Favre/Rodgers...that's how elite teams stay elite. The only reason we haven't done that is because of our poor drafting 3-6 years ago that left us playing the free agency game and trying to draft day 1 starters.
I believe that we should draft a QB in rounds 4-6 every year though or at least every two years. That way we're more likely to be set regardless if Moore/Tannehill is the answer in 2018 or not. While I do love having Moore coming off the bench, we also pay a steep price in that we have no idea who will be under center in 2020. New England already knows that and that's why they keep winning.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)
"Fin-O wrote:
You say Moore is starting on a short week due to health, then give him the full game vs BMore to see if he can overcome the ****ty OL
This is exactly what you do.
"Galant wrote:
Wouldnt shock me if cutler gets his wife to hit him on the ribs with a hammer just to sit the season
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
I can guarantee you after the fiasco of the half-assed evaluation on Tannehill during the offseason, we'll know for SURE Tannehill's ability prior to the draft.
Drafting a quarterback un-needed is a wasted draft pick. If Tannehill is good to go, then we don't need a QB. If he isn't, then yes we will need one[/QUOTE
Exactly how are they going to be able to determine Tannehill’s ability before the draft? He will not have been involved in any contact prior to the draft.
The fact is we were told that Tannehill was fully recovered going into the training camp and he then blew out his knee on a play in which he was merely running out of bounds and wasn’t hit.
Tannehill will be 30 years old next season and he will be coming off a major knee injury and it will be
over a year and a half since he last played in a regular season game.He has never been a top tier QB, even when he was 100% healthy. Perhaps he can come back and start for another year but the front office and Gase would be idiots if they don’t draft a QB of the future in the 2018 draft.
Moore is a solid backup but he isn’t getting any younger. Doughty doesn’t appear to be a starting caliber QB in the NFL.
While the Dolphins obviously have many needs on the roster. They have no bigger need than finding
a franchise QB for the future, because IMO they don’t have one on the roster at this time.
The love people have for Moore is just weird. Dude is a backup, plain and simple. And the Earl Morrall comparison? Yeah, no. We aren't going anywhere with Moore, not to mention dude is probably one good headshot from IR/Retirement himself.
Now ... is he a better option than a Cutler, especially a hurt Cutler? Probably. In my mind, once you bench Cutler though, it's over. Only take that step if you are done. I wouldn't really care either way, dude has not been producing.
I'd still say bring in Kaep. Flag/Castro junk is just your own projection, leave it at the door. We have protesters on the team already and you are still here. Shut up or go away. If he can help us win, good enough. You would probably leave Moore in for a few weeks promising Kaep nothing but backup. If/when Moore gets hurt or ineffective, in comes Kaep. Now we also have an option to play at the end of the year between him, Tanny and draft.
At this point, after what Moore did today, and the reports of a broken/cracked rib for Cutler, AND a short week coming up, I think you start prepping Moore as your starter for Thursday, no questions asked. If he plays well, he keeps the job and Cutler hangs out on the sidelines when he's healthy. He started to look like he was finally coming around, but his mechanics are still a disaster. Moore's timing with the system and the WR's is at a point where it likely just wont reach with Cutler. It's not the Moore is some special QB. He's not. He's just better in this system and team than Cutler at this point.

1972 Miami Dolphins-The ONLY undefeated team in NFL history!!!
"texanphinatic wrote:
The love people have for Moore is just weird. Dude is a backup, plain and simple. And the Earl Morrall comparison? Yeah, no. We aren't going anywhere with Moore, not to mention dude is probably one good headshot from IR/Retirement himself.
Now ... is he a better option than a Cutler, especially a hurt Cutler? Probably. In my mind, once you bench Cutler though, it's over. Only take that step if you are done. I wouldn't really care either way, dude has not been producing.
I'd still say bring in Kaep. Flag/Castro junk is just your own projection, leave it at the door. We have protesters on the team already and you are still here. Shut up or go away. If he can help us win, good enough. You would probably leave Moore in for a few weeks promising Kaep nothing but backup. If/when Moore gets hurt or ineffective, in comes Kaep. Now we also have an option to play at the end of the year between him, Tanny and draft.
Kap should have a job in this league, it shouldn't be in Miami though. Also, all those good throws cutler and Moore combined to make today? Not sure he makes 80% of those.
He won't be here so it's moot but he isn't a very good passer of the football.
As far as Moore, what he brings is athletic ability in the pocket. When you have an OL that is getting fuck pounded every snap it helps to have a QB who can get outside the pocket. He also will just sling it when he sees that Cover 1 BS we get where they crowd the box. Moore will take that 1 on 1 shot for better or worse.
"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"
"texanphinatic wrote:
The love people have for Moore is just weird. Dude is a backup, plain and simple. And the Earl Morrall comparison? Yeah, no. We aren't going anywhere with Moore, not to mention dude is probably one good headshot from IR/Retirement himself.
Now ... is he a better option than a Cutler, especially a hurt Cutler? Probably. In my mind, once you bench Cutler though, it's over. Only take that step if you are done. I wouldn't really care either way, dude has not been producing.
I'd still say bring in Kaep. Flag/Castro junk is just your own projection, leave it at the door. We have protesters on the team already and you are still here. Shut up or go away. If he can help us win, good enough. You would probably leave Moore in for a few weeks promising Kaep nothing but backup. If/when Moore gets hurt or ineffective, in comes Kaep. Now we also have an option to play at the end of the year between him, Tanny and draft.
Then by yours and every other Tannehill critics' philosophy, we should "Suck for Luck" this season :pity:

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
It's really about how the team responded when Moore entered. All of a sudden you had extra effort, passion, and circus catches. I don't think it's coincidence. If the team plays harder for Moore, play Moore.
Also I'd like to add I don't think Cutler is just going through the motions with this. I think he cares. The broadcast even mentioned him staying after practice to work on footwork and technique. He gets too much flak for not caring. But still, start Moore if the team responds better to him in the huddle.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Then by yours and every other Tannehill critics' philosophy, we should "Suck for Luck" this season :pity:
No, that would be dumb. We are not a BAD team. Trying to tank with a half decent team would fail and you'd end up with a shit season and not a great pick. While I don't consider us contenders, we have the potential to play some fun ball and make a playoff run. I wouldn't be averse to picking a QB next year though. I was not a Tanny person before. He was alright, not good enough imo. Knee issues just devalue that further, move on.