1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutler and Da 2015 Bears

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Aug 9, 2017.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Sports writers and fans have all been expressing their opinions about the Dolphins signing of quarterback Jay Cutler and we all know truth about opinions...they're like buttholes; everyone's got one and they all usually stink.

Many here actually championed signing Cutler years pre-Tannehill and as of recently, many have touted Cutler's best season as a quarterback in 2015 under then Bears Offensive Coordinator Adam Gase as justification for bringing in Cutler. But there's an obvious elephant in the room...the Bears were a dismal 6-10 in 2015 which on the surface, makes people scratch their heads so I took a much deeper look.

In 2015, the Bears had hired John Fox as their new head coach and Ryan Pace as the new GM. The Bears had a disastrous 2014 season going 5-11 and the ship needed to be turned around. The Bears looked to trade Cutler to the Titans prior to the draft, but the Titans weren't interested so Cutler is was for the Bears. Additionally, the Bears lost Brandon Marshall...their biggest threat at receiver.

Now with any new head coach and new coordinators, there's always going to be a bit of a learning curve and in Chicago, it was no different but looking closer at the Bears season and Cutler in particular.

-Cutler's first game under the new regime was shaky only able to manage 225 yards passing and 23 points against the Packers. I mean, it was the Packers for crying outloud!
    -Cutler missed weeks 2 and 3 with a hamstring injury and the Bears were crushed both games.
    -Cutler's offensive performance gained 2 victories against the Raiders and the Chiefs and rallied the Bears to OT against the Lions before the defense failed to hold the Lions in OT.
    -The following game, Cutler rallied the Bears to come from behind against the Vikings but the defense failed to hold the Vikings from their own rally and victory 23-20.
    -Week 9 saw Cutler throw a late TD to win against the Chargers and in week 10, Cutler had his best game of the season with an over QBR of 151 defeating the Rams 37-13.
    -Cutler would gain only 2 more victories the remainder of the season with medicore performances against the Broncos & 49ers and a NARROW win over the Packers.
    -Cutler was hampered with only 6 starts by the teams top four receivers, a mediocre defensive performance and a banged up offensive line towards the end of the season.

So what can we deduce from all of this? Staying healthy is the key to Cutler's success, not only him but the health of his playmakers. We have 3 STELLAR receivers in Landry, Stills and Parker not to meantion a BEAST of a running back in Ajayi. When our offensive line is healthy Ajayi runs like the wind and Tannehill was able to stay poised in the pocket. So offensively, staying healthy is the key...as well as our defense not getting run over like it did last season.

There's reasons for skeptism but there's also reason for optimism as well. As long as Cutler plays to 2015 form, he should do quite well in Miami.

resnor and bigballa2102 like this.
  2. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    nice article, but your skewing your argument marshal was not his loan threat he had martellus bennet and alshon Jeffrey who both had good years and who are both monsters not to mention forte and Langford both had decent years 800 for forte and 500 for rookie Langford. With that said the 2015 year is really no different than any other year, and being healthy is the key to any teams success. He went 1-5 in the division that year with Minn and Pack having good years. Nice post but it doesn't make me any more comfortable with the signing of cutler, because cutler is cutler and he will do cutler things on cutler days. Kinda like lima beans as a kid they don't taste good but you know you have to eat em.....But like I always say I hope im proven wrong!!!

Finster likes this.
  3. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated Club Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Adam Gase pushed for Jay Cutler...Adam Gase...not Joe Philbin or Tony Sparano...Adam Gase.

He has done nothing to not warrant our full confidence thus far.

Tin Indian, resnor and bigballa2102 like this.
  4. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    you are 100 percent correct he merely got the job because every star aligned for him and that's why he is in Miami, if gase wasn't in Miami he would be broadcasting this yr!!

Fin-O likes this.
  5. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I've already stated in another thread that if Gase wanted Cutler then everyone needed chill out over the arguments for Kaepernick or any of the others everyone was touting for.

In Gase I trust!!!!!

Tin Indian and bigballa2102 like this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    To me, I'm all-in on whatever Gase wants to do. If he trades Suh and Wake for a punter, then I know that's going to be one heck of a punter. I believe in him 100% and he has my support no matter who our QB1 turns out to be.

7. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    He would have to punt like 100 yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeyFin likes this.
  8. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    ...and a hook shot! (a little White Men Can't Jump humor) But if my boy Gase says that's what he believes is best for the team, then I'm on board. If Philbin did the same thing though, then I'd be screaming my head off.