1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current draft order: Qb's likely gone by our pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Dec 14, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh man, look at this, how did the Browns sneak ahead of us?

Colts: Luck
    Redskins: Griffin/Barkley
    Browns: Barkley/Griffin

Meaning, these last 3 games, may not matter, we really need the Browns to win or we are in a trade up situation.

Now, I happen to know Ireland is combing through CFLers again, there are a couple whom I'd consider 4th rd pick types but who can contribute quickly due to their pro experience, if we go that route I can see us adding a LG/RG type/CB/OLB-DE from that league.

I'd think we'd have to part with at least a #3, or a #2 next yr to move up into that 3-5 range

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    But those 4 wins were just SO EXCITING!!!!

lol

SICK, MikeHoncho and GARDENHEAD like this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Would not surprise me if we win this weekend, and lose the last 2 games.

And "yes" I'd happily take those wins, would love to win out.

4. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Then I hope going 5-11 is worth then having to trade a ton of picks to get a qB, that we could have merely drafted at 2 or 3 wins. We got a few wins against average teams. At that time, there could be some positives out of it. Not any more.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    This draft order is calculated using the SOS only of the 13 opponents each team has already faced. IMO, it's a flawed and less accurate manner of calculating SOS. The more accurate way of doing it is to calculate the SOS of all 16 opponents for every team. If you do that then Miami is picking 7th behind Washington and Jacksonville but ahead of Cleveland...and that's an important sticking point with respect to the QB thing.

This SOS stuff that everyone does is always done on the basis of "if the season ended today", which IMO is stupid. The season's not ending today. There's no reason the season will end today. If you calculate SOS based on all 16 opponents then you're calculating on the basis of "If the season keeps going at the rate that it's been going"...which has a much, much, much, much, much higher probability of happening than some plague sweeping the earth and forcing the NFL to stop playing after Week 14.

6. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Ck, any chance Osweiler comes out with the Arizona State clusterudge of a coaching search?

7. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Beating the sh*t out of teams is fun, not gonna lie.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't know man. But he's got to be looking at it and thinking, **** this noise.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    But we finish with the pats and jest, 2 teams with likely winning records,

BUT

Brownies close out with Steelers and Ravens, ceterus parabus, we are not in a bad place, but this weekend is crucial because the Browns play AZ, which is likely their last winnable game this season, long term, and maybe this went into the thinking of firing Sparano, we are better served losing to Buffalo this weekend coupled with a Browns win.

10. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Everything you mentioned here is correct. I had one quick question though, does the SOS of inter-divisional teams count once or twice? In other words, since we play the Jets, Bills, and Patriots twice does their record account for our strength of schedule once or twice?

The reason that is pertinent is because of the Dolphins and Browns remaining schedule:
    The Browns play:
    Arizona (6-7) - Remaining opponents (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Seattle)
    Baltimore (10-3) - Remaining opponents (San Diego, Cleveland, Cincinnati)
    Pittsburgh (10-3) - Remaining opponents (San Francisco, St. Louis, Cleveland)

The Dolphins play:
    Buffalo (5-8) - Remaining opponents (Miami, Denver, New England)
    New England (10-3) - Remaining opponents (Denver, Miami, Buffalo)
    New York (8-5) - Remaining opponents (Philadelphia, New York Giants, Miami)

Now, assuming that both Miami and Cleveland lose out in my opinion we will draft before the Cleveland Browns based on these reasons:
    1.) Inter-divisional games (Say the Buffalo Bills vs the New England Patriots) won't matter one way or another since it simultaneously increases and decreases your SOS.
    2.) The only games that matter for our SOS is Buffalo Bills vs. Denver, New England vs. Denver, New York vs. Philadelphia, and New York vs. New York Giants.
    The only games that matter in Cleveland's SOS are Arizona vs. Cincinnati, Arizona vs. Seattle, Baltimore vs. San Diego, Pittsburgh vs. San Francisco, Pittsburgh vs. St. Louis.

[EDIT: I just realized that the Dolphins already played the Denver Broncos, Philadelphia, and New York Giants. These games will act as buffers as sorts because they shouldn't really effect our SOS since, UNLESS your inter-division games count twice for SOS.... I am too lazy to see how this plays in to the Cleveland Browns situation right now, but if both teams lose this week I will do a through analysis to see what would happen. It just really helps us that Cleveland is in a much better division record wise.]

I am also wondering if I would actually be better to be behind Cleveland because then we would know exactly what we have to give up to secure a QB (by trading up above Cleveland). If we are behind Cleveland you don't know if they would work on trading up for a QB and try to leapfrog us... but the bottom line is that the teams looking for a QB behind us know they are in an action spot, a spot that they know they must move up or do something to secure "their QB." Look for the team drafting after the Washington Redskins to trade down, and receive a coupe in return.

11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think they're going to win that AZ game too. They have the kind of defense that frustrates young and impatient quarterbacks...it's the same defense the Dolphins ran back in the early 2000's. Seneca Wallace is going to show Browns fans what Colt McCoy is missing, IMO. That's based on my evaluation of the two players in 2010.

12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yes. Every game a team plays puts another record into the SOS. If you play the Bills twice and the Bills are currently 5-8, then you add 5-8 to your total opposition records for the first game, and then 5-8 to your total opposition records for the second game.

I think the Browns will win this weekend against the Cardinals and the Dolphins will not win another game this year. I think the SOS margin will be maintained to where if we are tied we'll still pick ahead of them, however I do not think we'll be tied. I think Miami will end up picking #4 overall.

13. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I think the Rams may draft a QB as well. I know they have a young guy, but what has he done?

14. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Sam Bradford has no one around him. They need an OL and some receivers.

15. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    He may not have anyone around him, but he himself has played just awful. I mean terrible. He's left plenty of plays out there he should have made.

16. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I never focus on the projections b/c there are too man variables. For example, the health of Long's back will greatly impact our likelihood of winning over the last three games. I also like more than just three QBs in this draft if all of the expected guys declare. So I'm not going to panic and start saying that the QBs are likely to be gone by our pick.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Without a doubt. Especially the Bills game.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It would be intriguing if the Rams put Bradford up for trade.

19. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm not worried about the Browns or the Redskins winning games or losing games. I firmly believe that we'll trade up for Luck or Barkley. I think Ross knows we need that "Franchise QB". He will tell Ireland: get Luck or Barkley or get another job. Of course, my opinion is based on nothing!!!

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    GHead, you feeling RG3?

21. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    I haven't watched a full RG3 game. He sure is well-spoken! :shifty:I've watched a few Luck games and a few Barkley games and those dudes pass the eyeball test (which is the only test I know how to administer. I admit I know nothing about hip swivel and release points and all that other stuff). RG3 looks like the real deal tho. Anybody who can both throw the deep ball AND outrun a linebacker for a first down is dangerous. I omitted him because I think Ross wants a prototypical pocket QB. Just my hunch. I'd be surprised if we get him. Happy, but surprised.

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I typically pay no attention to that sort of stuff though Ghead, to me it amounts to space filler..dude can play or he can't.

I like the the thought of Fisher+RG3, if Ross wants excitement on offense, there it is..or could be.

23. GARDENHEAD

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    RG3 is intriguing. If he actually is really accurate with the deep ball, man lights out! How do you defend a guy with his wheels -AND- deep accuracy?