Crowds are thinner these days for Dolphins home games
38 replies
Crowds are thinner these days for Dolphins home games
He's not alone. After losing more than 10,000 season tickets the past two years, the Dolphins face a weekly struggle to sell out their 75,540-seat stadium. While the team has announced sellouts for all three home games so far this season, Dolphin Stadium has been only about two-thirds full on game days.
While most players insist they're too involved in the game to pay attention to the size of the crowd, a few admit they've noticed.
"I know it's not full," linebacker Matt Roth said. "There were a few more fans the first couple games. It stinks. We've got to win 'em back."

Roof roof build a roof
and yet, after 30 plus years of having a season ticket, i asked for an upgrade, and they told me they couldnt do it..go figure!
"Phin-o-rama wrote:
Roof roof build a roof
That'll never happen, but I guarantee every game would sell out easily if they did.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
"HardKoreXXX wrote:
That'll never happen, but I guarantee every game would sell out easily if they did.
I just don't buy that.
Some would go because of that but there are some fans that would stop going because of a roof as well. Count me in that group. I Hate domes.
We never had problems selling out the Orange Bowl.
Look no further than the economy for this years troubles and the skyrocketing prices of attending games for the avg. Joe over the past decade or so. It just isn't a conceivable expense for many anymore, even when the economy was doing fine.
Pair those economic problems with the fact that the born and bread South Floridians continue to flee S. Florida with influxes of people from other states or countries taking their place and you've got an even bigger problem.
Considering all this, the Phins do just fine.
RIP Jetssuck
Make it retractable, and only close it with a torrential rain storm....not sunny and hot...not light rain/Sun Shower (like the SD game) thats our advantage.
No fixed Dome crap!
Actually, I have said it before, I will say it again.....sell this stadium to the Marlins, let them have it for Baseball only.....and build a new proper and better (OB like) retractable roof Football only stadium for Dolphins.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
"BigDogsHunt wrote:
Make it retractable, and only close it with a torrential rain storm....not sunny and hot...not light rain/Sun Shower (like the SD game) thats our advantage.
No fixed Dome crap!
Actually, I have said it before, I will say it again.....sell this stadium to the Marlins, let them have it for Baseball only.....and build a new proper and better (OB like) retractable roof Football only stadium for Dolphins.
I'm with you on this.
I never liked Dolphins stadium from day 1.
Sterile and unimaginative design. Poor stands design limiting crowd impact on the game.
Having said that, with Wayne H. having just put so much money into the stadium and the fact that it's not designed well for baseball either, I just don't see it happening. Were stuck with the concrete condo.
RIP Jetssuck
"Coral Reefer wrote:
I just don't buy that.
Some would go because of that but there are some fans that would stop going because of a roof as well. Count me in that group. I Hate domes.
We never had problems selling out the Orange Bowl.Look no further than the economy for this years troubles and the skyrocketing prices of attending games for the avg. Joe over the past decade or so. It just isn't a conceivable expense for many anymore, even when the economy was doing fine.
Pair those economic problems with the fact that the born and bread South Floridians continue to flee S. Florida with influxes of people from other states or countries taking their place and you've got an even bigger problem.
Considering all this, the Phins do just fine.
I think the people who would go if we had a roof would FAR outnumber those who would refuse to go if we added one. Just my opinion though.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
If I lived anywhere near the stadium I would be one more fan inside if I could afford it.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
"Coral Reefer wrote:
I just don't buy that.
Some would go because of that but there are some fans that would stop going because of a roof as well. Count me in that group. I Hate domes.
We never had problems selling out the Orange Bowl.Look no further than the economy for this years troubles and the skyrocketing prices of attending games for the avg. Joe over the past decade or so. It just isn't a conceivable expense for many anymore, even when the economy was doing fine.
Pair those economic problems with the fact that the born and bread South Floridians continue to flee S. Florida with influxes of people from other states or countries taking their place and you've got an even bigger problem.
Considering all this, the Phins do just fine.
Yes...we sold out the Orange Bowl back in the day and yes it was just as hot then as it is now.
BUT, and this is a freaking monster BUT...people couldn't stay in the comfort of their own homes, in the ac, with a 60" plasma watching the game in HD in their underwear.
the only way to really enjoy the phins back then was to go....the gap between the different experiences (going to the game vs. staying home to watch it) has lessened over time.
they want to fill that stadium? make it more comfortable for the fans.
SCREW the heat advantage...i'd rather have a packed house going nuts in the ac and lose our "heat advantage", then a half empty stadium because it's miserable out.
OR
build the soccer style stadium where the roof covers only the stands but leaves the field open.
"Phin-o-rama wrote:
OR
build the soccer style stadium where the roof covers only the stands but leaves the field open.
If not, retractable, that would be a reasonable option.
BDH -
"To me, there are three things we all should do every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy.
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special."
Jimmy V. (Mar '93)
SCREW the heat advantage...i'd rather have a packed house going nuts in the ac and lose our "heat advantage", then a half empty stadium because it's miserable out.
:yes:
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
Well, I don't believe you can find any team that sells out week in and week out when they are losing constantly.
We have had the #2, #9,#1 pick in three of the last 4 years, we've won 18 games or so in 4 years, who is going to dig deeply into their pockets and budgets to come out and see that?
And I do agree, we lost alot when we moved out of the Orange Bowl.
"Coral Reefer wrote:
I'm with you on this.
I never liked Dolphins stadium from day 1.
Sterile and unimaginative design. Poor stands design limiting crowd impact on the game.Having said that, with Wayne H. having just put so much money into the stadium and the fact that it's not designed well for baseball either, I just don't see it happening. Were stuck with the concrete condo.
I'd love to see the team playing in their own stadium, not a multipurpose field that they share with a baseball team and college football team. Makes us look amateurish out there.
Maybe if the team starts winning a few more games, that would help.

"Phin-o-rama wrote:
Yes...we sold out the Orange Bowl back in the day and yes it was just as hot then as it is now.
BUT, and this is a freaking monster BUT...people couldn't stay in the comfort of their own homes, in the ac, with a 60" plasma watching the game in HD in their underwear.
the only way to really enjoy the phins back then was to go....the gap between the different experiences (going to the game vs. staying home to watch it) has lessened over time.
they want to fill that stadium? make it more comfortable for the fans.
SCREW the heat advantage...i'd rather have a packed house going nuts in the ac and lose our "heat advantage", then a half empty stadium because it's miserable out.
OR
build the soccer style stadium where the roof covers only the stands but leaves the field open.
Well said Sir. I completely agree.
"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"
Its not the fans fault, i used to think it was but not anymore.
We have been a very patient fan base, been thru more turmoil, turnover and adversity then 99% of the league.
The stadium does not allow the fans to have the impact they wanna have.
Once the team gets turned around and can capitolize on some serious momentum swings that stadium will be packed. we are so ready to pounce.
It was disheartening to hear some of the players talk about how uninspiring it is for them sometimes when they walk out of the tunnel and see the all the orange seats...Well if they want that to change, then they have to step up when the oppurtunity, rhythm and momentum presents itself.

Makes us look amateurish out there.
Nah we make us look amateurish out there.
"A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus, suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering great or little. Therefore, the "size" of human suffering is absolutely relative." - Viktor Frankl
The heat, the expensive parking, the lack of wins, the lack of football fans in south florida. It could be many things.
I've been a season ticket holder for 4 years and my seats are in the 400's but I always manage to head down and sit with the regular's at the 100 level with no prob every game. Lots of empty seats..
Also, whenever my friends join me to the game they have NO problem getting a ticket for like $10 - 15 bucks ($30-40 value) from desperate scalpers looking to make a buck! it's pretty bad..
It's also really sad when we try and get loud while we're on defense because I know the opposing team is thinking, "That's it?".
And if it's a 4th quarter come back? Forget about it! Half the fans are long gone by then..
If I lived anywhere within a four hour drive of the stadium I would be at every home game. But I don't so I have to go to sports bars and hopr for replays on NFL network or whatever way, Thank the spirits for thephins.com, I can to "see" the games. The economy is affecting EVERY franchise right now. From empty seats to millions in corporate sponsorships going bye bye, the NFL is hurting right now. What helps is the limited # of games for the fans to buy tickets too, at least it's not for 80+ games like basketball and baseball.
I'm not sure just how accurate this is but I remember that when Wayne started talking about improvements he talked about a roof but was told by the NFL that they would not approve it so it was then dropped. I believe Wayne really wanted to do it for us. I may be wrong about this but I don't think so. :yes::hi5:

This is the only thing I’ve learned: There’s only us. There’s no them. Despots and authoritarians need to make a “them” to have a straw man whom you are against. If you need to make an enemy of “them,” you’ve lost the spirit of us. - Ken Burns of PBS

"HardKoreXXX wrote:
That'll never happen, but I guarantee every game would sell out easily if they did.
They'll lose quite a lot of current fans if they do so I don't know about this.
http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif
When they win games and once again become a legit threat, the fans will come.
http://images.thephins.com/signaturepics/sigpic83_3.gif
Pisses me off every week. Sometimes the opposing team's "defense" chants are louder than ours.
Pathetic.
Get off your asses and come to the games (if you can afford it, otherwise, understandable obviously).
This is YOUR team!

Kanye West wrote:
I treat the cash like the government treats AIDS - I won't be satisfied till all my people get it.... GET IT?
Fan attendance is a joke. It is embarrassing seeing how empty the stadium is on Sundays and how quiet the crowd often is. This was a problem before the financial crisis and when Miami was good they struggled to sell out.

